All-Star Calibre Slashers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Star Calibre Slashers?

Around the trade deadline everyone here at RR was talking about getting Iguodala, and seeing that Bosh basically said for him to stay, we'd have to get that all-star caliber slashing wing, I think the conversation can go back to Iguodala again.

I was trying to think of a way that the raps could possibly get him from Philly and the only way I could see it happenning, is with parting with one of DeMar or Sonny. This goes without question since Philly would want youth and value to be coming back their way.

My proposal would be: Sonny, Jose, our first rounder and evans/banks' expiring contracts.

Philly would be getting potential in Sonny(who has proven his potential is there) and the pick which could end up being really good. Jose, I assume, will come back better than this year since last offseason he didnt play at all in order to fully heal that hamstring. Evans and Banks would be great because it would be 10million coming off the books at the end of next year, giving them either some cap room for next offseason, or two highly tradeable assets for this summer/season.

In Iguodala the raps would get that slashing perimiter player who would also instantly become their best defender. Not to mention a really good playmaker and rebounder.

Looking purely at his stats, his ppg (17.1) is less than last season (18.8).This can be accounted for in his slightdrop in FG% (-3%) and his total number of shots taken is around 30 or so less than last season. His RPG(6.5) and APG(5.8) were both career-highs this year and in his 6 seasons in the NBA, in only 1 (06-07) has he not played in all 82 games. Thats impressive.

Thoughts on this deal?

Who are other wing players the raps should look into?

(1) I think Philadelphia already have their point guard of the future in Jrue Holiday. I doubt they'll have strong interest in Jose at this point.

(2) I don't think Sonny Weems has much trade value. I think his trade value is comparable to Carlos Delfino's when the Raptors acquired him from the Pistons for two second round picks.

(3) I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right ... but I think Chris Bosh was calling for a shot creator on the perimeter more than anything else. Scoring and shot creation is the weakest part of Iguodala's game. He does it well but more of a third option than a first or second option offensively. Not quite the type of talent Bosh was calling for.

That said, Iguodala would be an excellent addition to the Raptors. He doesn't fill that exact need but he is a fantastic player and he'd add a lot to the Raps.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

Sorry man, but Igoudala, although he is not a franchise player, is considered as the Philly's franchise player and would never take anything less than another franchise player (unless the GMs involved are Mchale, kupchak and ainge, hehe)

how bout deng and hinrich for bosh and calderon?

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
        Who are other wing players the raps should look into?
        Evan Turner -- offer their 2010 pick + DeRozan + future first round pick + anything else needed to get Turner.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

A 20 point per game threat who can create his own shot at a very good or better level
          • Joe Johnson
          • LeBron James
          • Dwyane Wade
          • Tyreke Evans
          • Carmelo Anthony
          • Kevin Durant
          • Kevin Martin
          • Danny Granger
          • Kobe Bryant
          • Brandon Roy
          • Manu Ginobili

A 20 point per game threat that can create his own shot at a solid-to-good level
          • Stephen Jackson
          • Andre Iguodala
          • Caron Butler
          • Paul Pierce
          • Corey Maggette
          • Eric Gordon
          • Rudy Gay
          • Danilo Gallinari -- not currently but in future seasons
          • Vince Carter
          • Jason Richardson

A 20 point per game threat who can create his own shot at a serviceable level
          • Rip Hamilton
          • Luol Deng
          • Gerald Wallace?
          • John Salmons?

Analysis

First tier -- none of those players are available for what the Raptors have to offer.
          Second tier -- Iguodala, Maggette and Richardson are worth noting.
          Third tier -- Salmons and Rip

Iguodala is the only player on that list that I have strong interest in.

I have some interest in Maggette and Richardson if they were available for a low price.

I have no interest in Rip Hamilton and no real interest in Salmons either.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

Magette is a beast in scoring and rebs but he has no defense. 0.7 steals and 0.7 blks.
            i guess he does fit with the raptors, hahaha. bad potshot.

Comment

* Stephen Jackson - his size...and offensive pwnage ... would be great but how about his attitude?
              * Andre Iguodala ... he is young but his shot selection is awkward .. i still remember his shot of the final minute (i think) when he face the raptors for the last time in the season
              * Caron Butler .... maybe
              * Paul Pierce .... i would get him but can he handle the offensive task at his age?
              * Corey Maggette ..... wow offensive threat but his defense is non existent .. legend has it that his defense increase by "two fold" when the full moon shine flaming orange in the night sky....
              * Eric Gordon ... is he actually a second tier?
              * Rudy Gay ... people say he is a ball hogger but ..i'm not sure
              * Danilo Gallinari -- chucker of the 3 ball
              * Vince Carter ... can he be a second option? nope
              * Jason Richardson ... chucker

Comment

Faithleader wrote: View Post
                * Eric Gordon ... is he actually a second tier?
                Not aggressive enough to make the first cut. That is why I listed him on the second tier.

Only takes 11.5-to-12.5 shots a night over his first two seasons and consequently only scores 16-17 points per game. A very effective scorer with a well rounded + highly efficient arsenal (TS% of 58%) ... but he doesn't take enough shots. Not assertive enough. Doesn't demand the ball, doesn't demand shot attempts. Just plays within the offense and takes what the other team gives him.

Gordon appears to be more comfortable in a secondary role offensively playing off of one superior scorer (and alongside 1-2 other comparable scorers to himself) or behind two superior scorers as a third option.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

he is he little undersize....where our defense is worst already?

Comment

he is he little undersize....where our defense is worst already?
                    Eric Gordon is a good-to-very good defender who's best strength defensively is his man-to-man defense. He has excellent lateral quickness which makes it difficult for opposing players to beat him off the bounce + excellent strength which makes it difficult for most two guards to post him up.

For example, Eric Gordon held Brandon Roy to 14.5ppg in four games this season + held Wade to 24 points on 23 shot attempts with only 3 assists in their only meeting this year. Eric Gordon is a quality defensive player.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

Gordon is money, I didn't know he was that good a defender. He's cheap too right now which Sterling loves, the raps don't have a player or combo of players on the roster to get him.

People have to recognize that almost all trades nowadays are financially motivated. If you are willing to take back a good player in a bad contract from a team looking to shed pay roll, you don't have to offer up much more then a young piece/pick and expirings.

Iggy, Joe and Gay are really the only guys who might be moving. Gay and Joe are FA's are looking to get paid by whoever will cut the cheque.

Philly is way over the cap and has nothing to show for it. They don't draw well at the gate and they have no marketable players. I feel they are very close to pulling a Wash and starting a firesale. I think we would have to give up Derozan plus expirings to get Iggy and that would only make sense if Bosh resigns.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                        (3) I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right ... but I think Chris Bosh was calling for a shot creator on the perimeter more than anything else. Scoring and shot creation is the weakest part of Iguodala's game. He does it well but more of a third option than a first or second option offensively. Not quite the type of talent Bosh was calling for.
                        I was more under the impression it was more about just an overall improvement at the wing position, which Iggy obviously would be. On the raps, Iggy would definitely be a great 2nd/3rd option (if Bargs is #2).

Comment

monta would be the easiest to get.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            monta would be the easiest to get.
                            how so?

OJ Mayo and thabeet! = no trade for GS

Comment

how so?

OJ Mayo and thabeet! = no trade for GS
                              supposedly.

maybe thye felt they weren't good fits i don't know i just have a feeling we could get monta if we wanted.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                              X