Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    You'd be taking a step back if you don't sign DeMar, but you could be handcuffing yourself if you sign him to a max. It's a pretty tough situation for MU.
    The step back is much more theoretical than the handcuffed. We could get more from other players and win just as much. Salary is static, so it would be up to Demar to improve his play to justify that salary commitment.

With better spacing, ball movement and defence from the SG spot, with improvements at the 4 and more usage from JV - we could still be a 50 win team.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

You'd be taking a step back if you don't sign DeMar, but you could be handcuffing yourself if you sign him to a max. It's a pretty tough situation for MU.
      Meh... You have to sign him. You sign him and believe in your ability to sell him to other teams. I believe Masai is a heck of a salesman.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        The step back is much more theoretical than the handcuffed. We could get more from other players and win just as much. Salary is static, so it would be up to Demar to improve his play to justify that salary commitment.

With better spacing, ball movement and defence from the SG spot, with improvements at the 4 and more usage from JV - we could still be a 50 win team.
        That too is theory though. We know what we are with DeMar, we don't without him. Does MU go with what he knows and has spent the last few years building or essentially move in a largely different direction? It's a tough decision for MU because unless something drastically changes in the ECF, he has to see how wide the margin between good and contenders are.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
          Meh... You have to sign him. You sign him and believe in your ability to sell him to other teams. I believe Masai is a heck of a salesman.
          What are the rules around a sign and trade?

Comment

That too is theory though. We know what we are with DeMar, we don't without him. Does MU go with what he knows and has spent the last few years building or essentially move in a largely different direction? It's a tough decision for MU because unless something drastically changes in the ECF, he has to see how wide the margin between good and contenders are.
            I know that part is theory (that was the point) but the cap implications are much more cut and dry. We could still win games without stepping back, because that part is theory.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

What are the rules around a sign and trade?
              S&T terms would be limited to what other teams could max offer, so 4 years instead of 5 and less money for Demar.

Comment

S&T terms would be limited to what other teams could max offer, so 4 years instead of 5 and less money for Demar.
                is there any good reason why Masai should offer derozan anything more than what other teams can? Is he really going to be worth 34M per season in year 5 of a real max deal?
                Last edited by KHD; Fri May 20, 2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                  is there any good reason why Masai should offer derozan anything more than what other teams can? Is he really going to be worth 34M per season in year 5 of a real max deal?
                  Does ANYONE think paying a 32-year old DeMar 34M is going to be worth it? That one seems pretty clear cut.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Sweet lord don't say that out loud
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      Sweet lord don't say that out loud
                      Don't fret! The 5th year would only be 33.8M! That's technically not quite 34M! Yay!
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Don't fret! The 5th year would only be 33.8M! That's technically not quite 34M! Yay!
                        Oh man, you saved me. I almost started drinking at 8 in the morning because of the 34M number. Now I'm totally convinced it's fine.

Comment

Demar's agent might disagree. Loyal until slighted? Other teams with sweet tongues can tell Demar how they think he's worth more than they can offer and that the Raps obviously don't appreciate him like they do since we could give him more. Who knows what will be said or what impact it could have. The 5th year might be the only real issue for Demar.

Personally, I don't think Demar will be worth the money in any year of these $20M+ contracts. Rather have Biyombo back and start Ross than give Demar that much.

Comment

Demar's agent might disagree. Loyal until slighted? Other teams with sweet tongues can tell Demar how they think he's worth more than they can offer and that the Raps obviously don't appreciate him like they do since we could give him more. Who knows what will be said or what impact it could have. The 5th year might be the only real issue for Demar.

Personally, I don't think Demar will be worth the money in any year of these $20M+ contracts. Rather have Biyombo back and start Ross than give Demar that much.
                            My thing is, Letting DeMar walk doesn't give us a lot of cap space, but what if it gives us enough to net us a reasonable starting PF? Not the All-Star most people want, but someone decent to help JV out?

Is that PF upgrade + Ross starting better than DeMar at the max and having to rely on trades to add anything else?

Comment

Really. we have to offer the 5 year max. I don't even think you can offer a 5 year deal that's not max, which takes us completely out of the advantage point above other teams. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So essentially it's 5 year max for 144 million or you lose him.

Comment

• Isnt the cap going to rise for the next couple years? A max this year wont be the max next and so on right?
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X