No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we look to move demar now while maintaining cap flexibility in offseason.

Give a little time to see how ross is olaying and how powell is olaying and see what teams are stumbling without and need a sg

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
      2) Getting to the Salary floor may be difficult for some teams, but it won't be an issue for the raptors. We have 45 million Guaranteed to 9 players, with Derozan, JV and Ross (and James Johnson if you want to count him) as free agents. Assume Ross walks (and JJ), and JV gets the max 22.5/year and we already at 67.5 mil (12.5 mil we have to spend) with 6 roster spots open. Vets on 1 year minimums will only have .98 mil count against the cap so basically we can get 4 vets for 3.9 million, so we have to find one player to pay 8.6 mil to hit the floor, which is just under 10% of the cap, basically a Patterson-esque deal . And that's assuming we let derozan walk and not engage in any sign and trades. If both Derozan and JV both get the max, we are looking at 94.5 mil with 11 players under contract. Sign Derozan and JV for 15 mil/year each (below market for both players, imo) and we are at 70 mil with 5 spots left. The only way the raps come even close to worried about the salary floor is if Demar doesn't exercise his player option and Ross and JV take their QO. In this scenario (which is about as close to a 0% as possible) we are at 66 mil with 3 spots open. But in that scenario you've got 14-20m to spend on a marquee free agent, basically another Carroll deal. Even if you end up overpaying, a really solid contributor at that amount, you've probably got enough talent to get to the Eastern Conference Finals.
      Yeah, the Raptors will be nowhere near the floor. They'll either be a cap team or well over the cap.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        Here's the choice right now. Next summer, let everyone except JV walk (Ross, DD, Scola, JJ) and you'll have enough cap room for one max offer.

Or keep DD and you'll have room for a 10M dollar player. Which is peanuts next summer.

Or keep Ross too and you'll have practically no room. If you keep just Ross and let DD walk, you'd have about 17M to offer, again meaning you can be outbid by 20 teams, but you might be able to get an OK player with that.
        so what you're saying is DD needs to go?
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd go full out recruiting mode and try to convince Demar to accept his PO in hopes for a bigger deal next offseason.

Rescind Ross, JJ and Scola. We'd have 17M to sign a FA, and if we can dump BB (assuming Bebe will be ready for minutes) we'd be bumped to 20M.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
            I'd go full out recruiting mode and try to convince Demar to accept his PO in hopes for a bigger deal next offseason.

Rescind Ross, JJ and Scola. We'd have 17M to sign a FA, and if we can dump BB (assuming Bebe will be ready for minutes) we'd be bumped to 20M.
            If DeMar wanted to go hunting next summer he's just sign a 1 year deal after opting out. He probably would get way less than the max if he took one year, but still far more than his PO and probably more than his cap hold.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If you are looking at bringing in a 20 million dollar player in the offseason, and adding our picks, why would you want Demar to stay?

If Lowry, JV, Carrol Bench and draftpicks are all here, Demar is not needed, send him packing.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Here's the choice right now. Next summer, let everyone except JV walk (Ross, DD, Scola, JJ) and you'll have enough cap room for one max offer.

Or keep DD and you'll have room for a 10M dollar player. Which is peanuts next summer.

Or keep Ross too and you'll have practically no room. If you keep just Ross and let DD walk, you'd have about 17M to offer, again meaning you can be outbid by 20 teams, but you might be able to get an OK player with that.
                Doc: make this the sign in message.

Comment

I'm thinking DeMar will be re-signed and cap space may not be the avenue that we use to improve.

Like I mentioned before DeMar is actually a top 5 FA in the class along with KD, Horford, Dwight and Beal. KD I do not see as realistic at all, neither is Dwight. Horford would be a great get but letting DD walk to sign him just leaves you with the same problem at the 2 that we currently have at the 4 (actually worse if Ross doesn't improve).

Think if we're gonna make a major move it'll be a trade.
                  Last edited by JWash; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

If Masai could convince DD to keep his player option for one more year.. I'll start building a Masai statue myself in my backyard.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                      I'm thinking DeMar will be re-signed and cap space may not be the avenue that we use to improve.

Like I mentioned before DeMar is actually a top 5 FA in the class along with KD, Horford, Dwight and Beal. KD I do not see as realistic at all, neither is Dwight. Horford would be a great get but letting DD walk to sign him just leaves you with the same problem at the 2 that we currently have at the 4 (actually worse if Ross doesn't improve).

Think if we're gonna make a major move it'll be a trade.
                      Ross, Joseph, Powell and even Lowry (with Wright at the 1) can all play the 2. I'd rather have Horford at the 4 and that platoon at the 2.

Comment

I really don't think 2016 is going to be about FA. It's all about our 2 picks in the draft (Lets go lotto) and maybe trying to clear out ~12M for a role player.

Unless MU has reason to believe he can pick up Horford or Durant I can't see him trying to clear space. Only way it happens is if MU has a good feel for what Demar expects for a next paycheck, doesn't like it, and he can find a move that meets his standards. I don't really think that scenario is going to play out though.

I guess the alternative is Norman Powell becomes DWade this year, Demar is totally expendable, and we pick up Horford?

#StorminNorman

Comment

I think there is a decent chance Demar is moved before trade deadline.

Especially if he comes out all demar like.

He does have a name, and I think that he can return decent assets.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                            I think there is a decent chance Demar is moved before trade deadline.

Especially if he comes out all demar like.

He does have a name, and I think that he can return decent assets.
                            Significant trade deadline deals never happen anymore.. and if they do its some veteran rental that teams can slide in as a 7th/8th man. DD has to be traded in the next two-three months or it won't happen.

The other possibility is that the Raptors start the season poorly (like when Gay was here).. if that happens, I can see Masai blowing things up by trading both Lowry and DD.

Comment

Well, who knows who the true gems of this class are as of yet?

I mean, some guys will surprise this year and who knows? WE could get a steal in FA like we did this year with Joseph.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Significant trade deadline deals never happen anymore.. and if they do its some veteran rental that teams can slide in as a 7th/8th man. DD has to be traded in the next two-three months or it won't happen.

The other possibility is that the Raptors start the season poorly (like when Gay was here).. if that happens, I can see Masai blowing things up by trading both Lowry and DD.
                                I think it will happen in the next couple months, He looses value everyday we get closer to the deadline.

Comment

Working...
                                X