View Poll Results: If Vince Carter is inducted into the Hall of Fame, what team does he choose to represent?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raptors

46 85.19%
  • Nets

4 7.41%
  • Other

4 7.41%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Vince Carter

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RepTdot wrote: View Post
    its makes a difference for the great value he can contribute to both the Raptors organization and Canada Basketball after his career for which requires an "official" re-union on the court for fan acceptance, marketing, PR and all that kinda corporate shit...and really to bring him back as a veteran presence in a mid-end bench player role that can offer that kinda of value after is worth it.
    No, it doesn't. What it does do is give MLSE another gimmick to sell. But otherwise, it's not going to make a tangible difference related to bringing him back after he retires. In fact, propping him up as a gimmick to sell tickets and jerseys may actually make it more difficult to bring him back after if it doesn't pan out too well. Could just generate more ill-will toward him...

I can see it now..."why did we bring Wince back?! He's done and just wasting a bench spot. And we have to listen to Matt talk about how great he's been for the organization and ball in Canada every fucking game. Just another move made to make money instead of making the team better"...

*Also I feel like people are way overrating Vince's value as a "veteran leader". He's a good vet. A good team guy. But he's not a strong leader who will imprint some kind of competitive edge on youngsters. He is not what Minny is trying to get out of Garnett, for example.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat May 16th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.

2. Like Day One liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    No, it doesn't. What it does do is give MLSE another gimmick to sell. But otherwise, it's not going to make a tangible difference related to bringing him back after he retires. In fact, propping him up as a gimmick to sell tickets and jerseys may actually make it more difficult to bring him back after if it doesn't pan out too well. Could just generate more ill-will toward him...

I can see it now..."why did we bring Wince back?! He's done and just wasting a bench spot. And we have to listen to Matt talk about how great he's been for the organization and ball in Canada every fucking game. Just another move made to make money instead of making the team better"...
    well I can't deny that it would be mainly a marketing/PR move...jersey/ticket sales was jump, marketing gimmicks out the ass, nostalgia till we throw up, a feel-good story covered around the NBA till we start looking like an episode of the care bears...but I do feel he can bring some value on the court and in the locker-room, it really is a mid to end of the rotation bench spot not a core position. I don't think Vince could join the raptors or Canada basketball in any role without putting our jersey on first one more time and having that closure and I do think that he would be involved in both post career given the chance. anyway i'd like to see it happen but don't think it will.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bear wrote: View Post
    I would welcome him with open arms.

Also, the thought of vc mentoring a guy like ross would be fantastic.
    Bang on. TRoss' attitude mimicks that of VC at a similar age.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Based on? I don't see it.

6. Like Day One liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

its makes a difference for the great value he can contribute to both the Raptors organization and Canada Basketball after his career for which requires an "official" re-union on the court for fan acceptance, marketing, PR and all that kinda corporate shit...and really to bring him back as a veteran presence in a mid-end bench player role that can offer that kinda of value after is worth it. Look at it at a 1yr/$6.35mil deal for the post career value of what that re-union would bring.
    You're making a lot of assumptions, mainly that VC is interested in a career with Canada Basketball when he retires, or that Canada Basketball is going to offer him a position for that matter. Whose to say that he won't just retire in the sun in Orlando?

He's not a player that we should be targeting at all, but especially not for these reasons.

8. Like Day One liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What?

10. Like Day One liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    You're making a lot of assumptions, mainly that VC is interested in a career with Canada Basketball when he retires, or that Canada Basketball is going to offer him a position for that matter. Whose to say that he won't just retire in the sun in Orlando?

He's not a player that we should be targeting at all, but especially not for these reasons.
    my assumption is that VC is interested in working with Canada Basketball, but without getting into too many details, I know Canada Basketball would like VC as part of their growth plans.

Post Thanks / Like

at 24 and in his 3rd yr in the league Vince was a ROY, 2x all star, averaging 27 a game as the face of the franchise...don't think its an accurate comparison but get that the biggest benefactor to VC would be Ross

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on? I don't see it.
    Defiant attitude. Me vs the world mentality.

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh 7th yr 28yr old VC...shit If Ross is already as jaded as that, he's hopeless

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors should retire Vince's jersey when Amir is no longer a Raptor out of respect for the interest in basketball he stirred in Canada and elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't sound like Vince to me.

Doesn't even really sound like Ross.

Sounds like Kyle Lowry to me.

Post Thanks / Like

No fucking way

This team needs Talent! Not some over the hill vet who's soon to retire.

18. Like Day One liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know everyone's down on Ross, but that's a pretty awful deal. VC is on his last leg and I wouldn't be surprised if he retires...and if not it's just a guy who'll mostly sit on the end of bench. Sure, he can mentor, and have his victory lap in Toronto....but why don't we just try to hire him back in some kind of role after he retires? *The leadership void on this team can't be filled from the end of the bench.
    38 year old Vince > 24 year old Ross.

Yes i'm serious.

Besides dunking, what does Ross do better than Vince?

Anyhow, i would love to see back in TO as well., i would love to see him retire as a Raptor but it's just not gonna happen(hope i'm wrong). But i'm sure the Raps organization will honour him in some way once he retire. I wouldn't be surprised if they retire his number.

20. Like RepTdot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    No fucking way

This team needs Talent! Not some over the hill vet who's soon to retire.
    15 roster spots- 12 active- 10 rotational- 5 starters, 3 key bench, your telling me we can't use a vet like Vince somewhere between 8 & 12 with his history with the organization and potential future benefits he could bring..for just 1yr? context people...no one will be counting on him to be Lebron 2.0

1yr- $6.09mil ($4.09mil towards 2015 cap + $2mil cash on 2nd yr team opt out, $2.27mil saved in Cap for 2016)
    2yr- $8.36 ($4.27mil out of a $90mil cap in 2016)
    1yr- Retires ($4.27mil saved in Cap for 2016)

even from a contract POV, the risk is worth the reward.
    Last edited by RepTdot; Sat May 16th, 2015 at 03:30 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't sound like Vince to me.

Doesn't even really sound like Ross.

Sounds like Kyle Lowry to me.
    Ross's facial expressions and body language indicates defiance to me .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    38 year old Vince > 24 year old Ross.

Yes i'm serious.

Besides dunking, what does Ross do better than Vince?

Anyhow, i would love to see back in TO as well., i would love to see him retire as a Raptor but it's just not gonna happen(hope i'm wrong). But i'm sure the Raps organization will honour him in some way once he retire. I wouldn't be surprised if they retire his number.
    The 38 year old Vince that shot .333% from the field and .297% from 3? Like wtf man. Did you watch Vince play this year? There might be some issues with fit in Memphis, but his game has very clearly dropped off a cliff. Yes, he has the intangibles of a 17 year vet....he sure didn't when he was 24 though, even when he was singlehandedly carrying this team.

Get some fucking perspective. You'd trade a 24 year old athletic wing for a 38 year old 10-15th man? One who may not contribute anything on the court at all anyway and costs more?

But if you want, sure, stack the team with 35-40 year old players whose value will only decline both on and off the court. That's sound management....

24. Like Day One liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

15 roster spots- 12 active- 10 rotational- 5 starters, 3 key bench, your telling me we can't use a vet like Vince somewhere between 8 & 10 with his history with the organization and potential future benefits he could bring..for just 1yr? context people...no one will be counting on him to be Lebron 2.0
    What future benefits? What are you talking about?

Again, if you just want someone who was a star in Toronto around the organization for gravitas...you absolutely do not have to let him have a victory lap. That kind of benefit is based on his early years here, not any gimmick year that management might try to sell to fans.

26. Like Day One liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The 38 year old Vince that shot .333% from the field and .297% from 3? Like wtf man. Did you watch Vince play this year? There might be some issues with fit in Memphis, but his game has very clearly dropped off a cliff. Yes, he has the intangibles of a 17 year vet....he sure didn't when he was 24 though, even when he was singlehandedly carrying this team.

Get some fucking perspective. You'd trade a 24 year old USELESS wing for a 38 year old 10-15th man? One who may not contribute anything on the court at all anyway and costs more?

But if you want, sure, stack the team with 35-40 year old players whose value will only decline both on and off the court. That's sound management....
    Bold part - fixed it for you. So yeah the answer is yes.

Anyhow, Vince this year only averaged 15mins/game for the Grizz. I don't think he's a good fit for that team.

LAST YEAR with the Mavs, he averaged 25mins/game, averaged 12ppg. Shot 40% from the field. 39% from 3.

Vince CAN still play, if you put him in the right situations.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No Thanks,everyone should stop living in the past. How about we go and get Marc Gasol or Jimmy Butler,or go hard and get Kawhi Leonard. Vince Carter..Meh..his done. Check his f#@king numbers,pathetic.
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information