View Poll Results: If Vince Carter is inducted into the Hall of Fame, what team does he choose to represent?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raptors

46 85.19%
  • Nets

4 7.41%
  • Other

4 7.41%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Vince Carter

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Bold part - fixed it for you. So yeah the answer is yes.

Anyhow, Vince this year only averaged 15mins/game for the Grizz. I don't think he's a good fit for that team.

LAST YEAR with the Mavs, he averaged 25mins/game, averaged 12ppg. Shot 40% from 3. 39% from 3.

Vince CAN still play, if you put him in the right situations.
    Last year isn't relevant to the argument. His performance was not even close to matching that this year, and you can't expect that to bounce back at this stage in his career. So maybe he CAN'T still play. He could come in next year even worse than this past year, and it wouldn't be at all surprising.

Ross is NOT useless. He does not lack physical ability or skills to contribute. Can he hit 3s? yes. Did he work on a counter this year? Yes (floaters and pull up jumpers). Have we seen flashes of lockdown, fundamentally sound D? Yes.

Why hasn't that been put together to make him a consistent role player? For sure there are concerns with his own mentality. However it's not like you can say he's been put in the best situations to succeed. Our system is terrible at creating good, open, in-rhythm 3s for guys off the ball. That has to be his bread and butter, and was something he was getting a lot last season when our offensive system actually somewhat looked like a system. Not surprisingly, his D was also better and more consistent last year. *If "has to be put into the right situations" goes for your argument with Vince, a former #1/2 option turned into role player, it certainly goes for Ross, who's naturally a role player.

This year he regressed on both ends, despite obviously working on his handles and counters when he's run off the line in the offseason. Not surprisingly it coincided with him getting jerked around again a lot more, just like his rookie year, where his role and minutes were not really consistent. And he lost backcourt minutes this year with all our guards, so he logged most of his minutes at SF, which he obviously struggles with more (77% at SF this year per bball ref).

Now, I don't think Ross is hot shit or anything. But useless is flat out wrong. And worse than a guy who's basically done is also flat out wrong.

I don't think people realize how important situation is, between consistent on-court minutes/role and an environment/culture that help get the best out of someone. Will Ross be able to find that here? I'm doubtful at this point. But trading him while his value is at his lowest for something whose value will be even lower is just plain stupid.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat May 16th, 2015 at 03:16 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's too similar to what another loser franchise in this city does, a franchise who brought guys back when they were past their prime.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how we can acquire VC from Memphis. We should not give up TRoss to get him.

The trade machine allows some things Memphis would never do:

Raptors Republic Superstar Mr.Z's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point it'd be like having an actual dinosaur on the roster
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote symbot wrote: View Post
    I don't see how we can acquire VC from Memphis. We should not give up TRoss to get him.

Hahaha that would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote symbot wrote: View Post

That would actually be amazing.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind VC coming back. I'm sure he'd be a positive influence but I don't think he's close to Pierce as a competitor or a leader. Sure he's old and experienced, but not all veterans have the same impact. It couldn't hurt but it shouldn't be a focus.

Oh...and trading Ross for him would be absolutely, incredibly insane.

8. Like Day One, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    that would actually be amazing.
    wow.
    Get me hollinger on the line.

Raptors Republic Rookie Not Too Xabi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Bang on. TRoss' attitude mimicks that of VC at a similar age.
    Huh? We talking about the Vince Carter that won ROY, and the TRoss that is pretty lucky he's not in the D-League? Those guys?

Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Ross's facial expressions and body language indicates defiance to me .
    Ross makes facial expressions? I find him to look mostly blank and a little clueless/confused out there. He's one guy who may take until he's almost 30 to actually put it all together.

12. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MixxAOR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

PSRS1 said "attitude". Not statistical production or potential or level of play. That being said I don't agree about their attitudes being similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    PSRS1 said "attitude". Not statistical production or potential or level of play. That being said I don't agree about their attitudes being similar.
    Their attitudes aren't similar at all either. What? Vince was cocky and backed himself. TRoss is a phlegmatic pussy.

15. Like Day One, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like him back just so we can continue to marvel at the neverending trainwreck that is the Toronto Raptors.

You guys are not thinking ahead. Vince + Dwane Casey means no minutes for Bruno until 2018. Plus if we take a step back, the guy is going to take so much shit, and even though I'm not a fan of his, he doesn't deserve that.

But most of all... He sucks now. $4mm for a nostalgia gamble is plain nuts. Give that money to Amir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Not Too Xabi wrote: View Post
    Their attitudes aren't similar at all either. What? Vince was cocky and backed himself. TRoss is a phlegmatic pussy.
    Good word. Can't say I've ever seen it used to describe TRoss, but its perfect actually.

I think the boat has sailed on a Carter return .. I don't think he has enough left to be what Pierce was for Washington this year. Carter is already older, and by next season will be one step closer to retirement. I would have supported a return earlier, but at this point, he just has nothing to offer but his name.

On the other hand, its crazy that McGrady is only 35 and been out of the league now for so long .. shame. Would be awesome if he suddenly found another couple of years in the ol' knees and back.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat May 16th, 2015 at 10:39 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran MixxAOR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Not Too Xabi wrote: View Post
    I agree

Post Thanks / Like

how do these threads keep happening
    @sweatpantsjer

20. Like Day One, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think vince had his swan song with some dramatics in Dallas last year he did score 16 in the last game but I kinda wish he would retire he has had a great career

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rightsideup wrote: View Post
    I think vince had his swan song with some dramatics in Dallas last year he did score 16 in the last game but I kinda wish he would retire he has had a great career

23. Like Day One liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter jerome's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We need a Charles Oakley, Vince does not seem to have Oak's tenacity.

That being said, can we trade Lou Will's expiring for Vince + a pick?

Post Thanks / Like

Why do people want to bring in a guy closer to retirement than productivity?

Bringing a vet only works if they still have enough to play. Otherwise, Magloire, Hayes, etc.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information