Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Anthony Bennett

You think Masai would take a chance on him

Back right before the draft, we told you the Minnesota Timberwolves were shopping Anthony Bennett.

It’s heading toward the end of August and Bennett is still with the Timberwolves.

They would still like to move him, but there are no takers, reports Jon Krawczynski of the Associated Press:
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ing-no-takers/
    @Chr1st1anL

No. Last thing the kid needs is more pressure. Home town team? Dude would be a nervous wreck.

Comment

If we wasn't canadian, would you care ?
      We have Cojo for hometown heroe now; we don't need bennett, Robert Sacre, Sam Bullahr, Andrew Nickleson anymore.
      We need someone who is actually better than 2pat

Comment

He's the starting PF we're looking for, sign me up!

Seriously though, he needs to find his game with some other team before I want him here.

Comment

I don't know he was in the best shape I've seen at the pan am games. Kid has had set back injury in both of his first two NBA season. If healthy still has a load of talent to be taped.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think it would be foolish for the Wolves to move him -- he looks like he may finally break out. That said, I also think they over value their starting Center and PG. They're not utilizing Dieng as well. With their draft pick I guess they feel that AB is the guy they should trade -- when it should be that center.

That said, this is the year to grab him. He has one more year that he's eligible for D-League. He just needs time. What he's been doing this summer makes me think that he's really close to figuring things out, and if he gets there he could be a nasty stretch 4. I don't care if he's from here when it comes to stuff like that. My fandom for Team Canada and the Raps are unrelated. If they can steal AB, or Dieng from the Wolves because they're poor at evaluating their own players ... then steal away.

Comment

This one pops up every couple months. He has shown nothing to be worth giving up anything. So our cap situation won't let us absorb him. He gets paid well for nothing. Good luck to him in his career.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                This one pops up every couple months. He has shown nothing to be worth giving up anything. So our cap situation won't let us absorb him. He gets paid well for nothing. Good luck to him in his career.
                I strongly disagree with your assessment. It's not his fault that he was drafted 1st in a meh draft. You can't look at his skill set and say that he has shown nothing. Clearly you have not watched him play. This isn't Kieff with a serious legal case hovering over him. This a guy whose only mistake was being drafted by a team that is poor at developing talent and being traded to a team that is poor at developing talent.

AB's issue -- mediocre defensively
                lacks experience/ court time
                injury/health concerns

His pluses -- deep mid range shot, could easily be stretched out to the 3 point line
                excellent ball handler for position
                can layup/shoot with both hands
                willing and capable passer out of the post
                willing runner on fast breaks
                excellent offensive rebounder
                solid at both pick and roll and pick and pop

Wolves are poor talent evaluators (m/s). Dieng is WAY better than Pekovic. Look at their history. Their inability to surround KG properly when Flip was there. Love when Kahn was GM. Now Flip is GM. Why would someone judge a player solely on how their team uses them when there is such a large body of international play to consider as well? It is a lower level of ball, but the skills that a player possesses doesn't change. Dieng is one of the most agile Centers in the league, but he's stuck as an afterthought on the Wolves.

Bennett looks solid. I would see what it took to get him. The Wolves need to clear the glut on their roster. He can probably be had for a low first rounder, or something based around one of the kids that will be stuck in Mississauga. If he fulfills his potential you win that trade. If he doesn't, Bruno isn't going to become a star developing in Minneapolis.

If it isn't obvious how much of a clown show the Wolves are, what reputable team leaks that no one will trade for their player multiple times in August? Shouldn't they be quietly gathering footage of all the work he's putting in for Canada right now, so they have something to present to teams closer to the season instead? Deals rarely happen in August. It's silly. Teams are either set for preseason, or biding their time to fill in their rosters right now.

You're right he's shown nothing.

Comment

I would love to have him on our team, but.. I don't know.

I really hope Wolves will give him a chance after this "confidence-booster" summer.

Comment

I can see an LJ type of player honestly, if he just stays healthy and takes his eating seriously....which seems to me he has been.

He is athletic enough to be a very effective 3rd or 4th man in the offense. Like a Ppat type of guy.

Comment

This thread....again!?!?! If he didn't have a Canadian passport..... I wonder.

Let him develop on someone else's dime and time.

He is going to be paid around $13M over next 2 years.

Totally impacts cap space and ability to offer a max contract.

Go for him when he is a FA - in 2 years.

Comment

Not worth his contract. Wait till he is expiring and we'll see what they want for him.

While I get that lots of people are jumping on the Canadian angle, how many recent top 5 picks (let alone #1 picks) become available this early in their career? Certainly a situation to follow.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Not worth his contract. Wait till he is expiring and we'll see what they want for him.

While I get that lots of people are jumping on the Canadian angle, how many recent top 5 picks (let alone #1 picks) become available this early in their career? Certainly a situation to follow.
                          I would be willing to roll the dice, but as you mentioned, as long as it bears little impact on future capspace.

For example our pick 2016 is a couple million in salary, so a deal of a small piece that extends out the length of Bennets contract and the pick would have no overall impact on capspace.

Could be a very low rish high reward type of move.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

While he would cost us a bit, the reward of being able to sign him to a long term reasonable deal may be worth the risk. He will make 5.5 mil this year, 7.3 next, and 9.5 if he signs his qualifying offer the next year.

Would a James Johnson and our 2016 first round pick get it done? I would be ok with that deal. Not sure that it is enough salary going out, maybe someone who knows more about that can weigh in.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                              While he would cost us a bit, the reward of being able to sign him to a long term reasonable deal may be worth the risk. He will make 5.5 mil this year, 7.3 next, and 9.5 if he signs his qualifying offer the next year.

Would a James Johnson and our 2016 first round pick get it done? I would be ok with that deal. Not sure that it is enough salary going out, maybe someone who knows more about that can weigh in.
                              Why give up anything?

Why not let him develop on another team and see what he is?

He is still very much a project and prospect....a virtual unknown at NBA level.

Toronto is always going to be a front runner for his services when he is a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                              X