Anybody still have faith in Terrence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    I'd say Danny Green is the superior defender compared to Ross. IQ has a lot to do with it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So am I to assume you feel ross lacks IQ?

And what do you base that assumption on if I am correct?

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
      So am I to assume you feel ross lacks IQ?

And what do you base that assumption on if I am correct?
      His defensive IQ is less than Danny Green's in my opinion. Do you disagree?

Comment

I couldnt fairly say, because Ross doesnt play inside of SAS' system. I think Ross' IQ on that side of the floor is at least comparable to that of Greens.

Kawhi defends the larger threat in SAS, Ross defends that guy here. So perhaps I am cutting a little slack, but Ross' defensive role is not equal to Greens', thus making him look "out of place" at times.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
          I couldnt fairly say, because Ross doesnt play inside of SAS' system. I think Ross' IQ on that side of the floor is at least comparable to that of Greens.

Kawhi defends the larger threat in SAS, Ross defends that guy here. So perhaps I am cutting a little slack, but Ross' defensive role is not equal to Greens', thus making him look "out of place" at times.
          I'm basing purely on my fantasy ball knowledge now at this point lol, but Green averages and has more steals and blocks than Ross and they play similar number of minutes.

Comment

He plays on a better system. The spurs love has gotten a tad out of hand. Every player that's ever had a practice with Pop is a genius?
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• In 3 years TR has been given a way more playing time than he deserved. He not only not shown any heart or improvement but has actually regressed! He rarely passes, rebounds or drives to the hoop!!! He is a one trick pony who has a hot shooting every third or fourth game. I would play CJ DP or DW at the SG spot ahead of TR. He would be best packaged with 1or 2 other players to get an upgrade at 4 !!! GO RAPS GO Steve Fisher

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                He plays on a better system. The spurs love has gotten a tad out of hand. Every player that's ever had a practice with Pop is a genius?
                Right! Do you guys remember how horrendous Danny Green was before he got to the Spurs? He was almost out of the league. We can't keep comparing our players to players on the Spurs. Pop is just too much of a superior coach. And that system is also just too superior to really make sound comparisons in my eyes.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• steve wrote: View Post
                  In 3 years TR has been given a way more playing time than he deserved. He not only not shown any heart or improvement but has actually regressed! He rarely passes, rebounds or drives to the hoop!!! He is a one trick pony who has a hot shooting every third or fourth game. I would play CJ DP or DW at the SG spot ahead of TR. He would be best packaged with 1or 2 other players to get an upgrade at 4 !!! GO RAPS GO Steve Fisher
                  Oh I agree, I have very little faith in Ross mainly because of his mental state but there are definitely a few things that might have hindered him last year that people have brought up. All I'm saying is this year he doesn't have the excuse of playing out of position, being injured, guarding the other teams best offensive player, being forced into the starting lineup before he was ready etc. So if he doesn't show some growth this year I've given up. He's not a rookie anymore, it's time he starts to get it
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Pong wrote: View Post
                    I'm basing purely on my fantasy ball knowledge now at this point lol, but Green averages and has more steals and blocks than Ross and they play similar number of minutes.
                    Yeah a lot of that has to do with Green having better physical tools than Ross on the defensive end. For all the discussion about Ross' defensive potential... all he really has is lateral quickness in terms of being elite. He's not strong and has a tiny wingspan by NBA standards.

Being able to jump high does next to nothing for a perimeter defender. Most perimeter defenders who make a lot of on-ball plays (steals and blocks) have long wingspans. That's why you see wings like Marion, Kawhi, Jordan, Wade, Green, etc getting a lot of blocks and steals... because of their length. Ross doesn't have that.

Also people trying to make an excuse for Ross by saying he has to defend SF/play SF aren't really making a great point. First of all the 2/3 positions are virtually interchangeable on the offensive side of the ball. Secondly, Ross actually played more than twice as many of the team's minutes at SG (35%) than at SF (17%).

Now you're probably going to say... "but he had to defend the SF!" Well when defending small forwards, Ross allowed an average of 18/4/8 per 48 while he allowed 22/5/5 to shooting guards per 48. So he actually had an easier time defending at the 3 spot.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14TOR4.HTM

Comment

• That's fair. Just don't like poster trying to dump him for nothing when the Raps already are short shooting wing players

Comment

• I'm really just not seeing the tools that would make Ross an elite defender. Yes he has great lateral quicks, but he's not a high IQ defender, he's got a short wingspan to contest shots and disrupt the ball, and he has very limited strength.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                          I'm really just not seeing the tools that would make Ross an elite defender. Yes he has great lateral quicks, but he's not a high IQ defender, he's got a short wingspan to contest shots and disrupt the ball, and he has very limited strength.
                          On ball defending guards isn't a high IQ job. Stay in front and prevent easy layups. A lot of him losing his man on cuts and by going under screens looked scheme based where guys were scrambling because of all the open shooters

Comment

Yeah a lot of that has to do with Green having better physical tools than Ross on the defensive end. For all the discussion about Ross' defensive potential... all he really has is lateral quickness in terms of being elite. He's not strong and has a tiny wingspan by NBA standards.

Being able to jump high does next to nothing for a perimeter defender. Most perimeter defenders who make a lot of on-ball plays (steals and blocks) have long wingspans. That's why you see wings like Marion, Kawhi, Jordan, Wade, Green, etc getting a lot of blocks and steals... because of their length. Ross doesn't have that.

Also people trying to make an excuse for Ross by saying he has to defend SF/play SF aren't really making a great point. First of all the 2/3 positions are virtually interchangeable on the offensive side of the ball. Secondly, Ross actually played more than twice as many of the team's minutes at SG (35%) than at SF (17%).

Now you're probably going to say... "but he had to defend the SF!" Well when defending small forwards, Ross allowed an average of 18/4/8 per 48 while he allowed 22/5/5 to shooting guards per 48. So he actually had an easier time defending at the 3 spot.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14TOR4.HTM
                            Exactly. Goes to show how ill-fitting it was to play him at SF. He's undersized (weight wise) and doesn't have a great wingspan. Typically guys who can play out of position make it up in one of these 2 areas. Ross has advantage in neither.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              On ball defending guards isn't a high IQ job. Stay in front and prevent easy layups. A lot of him losing his man on cuts and by going under screens looked scheme based where guys were scrambling because of all the open shooters
                              Yes but there is so much more that goes into defending than just on-ball defense. It's not the 80s.

Comment

Yes but there is so much more that goes into defending than just on-ball defense. It's not the 80s.
                                TRoss is for better or worse the stopper on the second unit unless they play JJ. The system last year left open shooter on either side or corner when they weren't just allowing line drive layups. IQ wouldn't have helped

Comment

Working...
                                X