Cool Stories??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
    1995 at the Raptors 3-on-3 tourney I won a week at camp Raptors in the 3 pt shootout. Isiah was a guest coach and played one on one just like in hoop dreams. I, sadly, didn't play him. Doug Christie was one of our guest coaches. When he came to work with the oldest group, he was telling us about some tricks he uses. He liked to try to distract his defender by making a weird noise or a play call that didn't exist, trying to get them off balance for just a second. I told him about my Dion Sanders high-step I sometimes did on a fast break, then crossing over on the guy. Doug goes "coo, coo" Couple nights later, watching a game on tv, Christie is on a fast break. What does he do? Two quick high steps like he's about to score a touch down, then a quick cross over.
    Bam! Drops mike, walks off stage.......
    This is a good one.... thats sweet.

Comment

I had a conversation on the subway with Matt Bonner about Indian food restaurants. It was.... odd.

Comment

Back in 2009 I met Robin Lopez at Walt Disney, Florida. He just finished his rookie season and I was a bit stressed, so at first I didn't even remembered his name... But I knew who he was! So I asked him for an autograph and a picture. I didn't have any paper, so he helped me find one. He was really nice. I was so hype! Then guess what...

Later in the day, I saw him in a line for a roller coaster next to another 7 footer... His brother! Back then Brook was way better than his brother so I was even more excited! Even though he was a bit less energetic than his brother, he still gave me an autograph.

It was a great day, since it was my first time at Disney World, with both of my parents that were not together anymore but decided to both go for me. It was my second time meeting NBA players, since I met Joel Anthony a couple days before at a clinic in Montreal. He was also really nice.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          I had a conversation on the subway with Matt Bonner about Indian food restaurants. It was.... odd.
          Butter chicken?

Comment

It's 1989, and I'm out with friends before leaving Montreal for grad school. We are at the Montreal Film Festival, walking through the tunnels that connect to Place des Arts. Behind us are four very well dressed people, one of them is quite tall.

One by one, each person leaves the group to go back (somewhere?). We suddenly realised that walking behind us, all alone, was Max von Sydow! So I stopped and turned and as he approached I said: "Max, you seem to have been abandoned. Why don't you join us we're going to grab some beer?" He chuckled with his booming voice "Ho Ho Ho. Well I think I have people waiting for me."

Comment

This doesn't directly involve me, but a few months ago my Grandma sent me a picture with the message, "I met this big guy in a restaurant and chatted with him for a little bit. He's a very funny man. I think he is famous as a lot of people wanted his autograph. This is a picture I got with him, do you know who he is?"

It was a picture of herself and Shaq!
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Met Joey Graham and Matt Bonner at a basketball clinic at the ACC in 2006. We were slotted for 30 minutes of quick drills of dribbling, lay-ups and defense.

I was super impressed by Matt Bonner. He was dribbling two basketballs like it was nothing. He was even egging us on about how bad we were, which I didn't expect. The Red Rocket was a cocky player!

Joey was "nice Joey"and encouraged me to do a double hand backboard block during a layup drill and I'm thinking to myself, "I'm only 5'6", yo!" He didn't look as tall as I expected, but his arms length and ahletic ability were amazing. Really cool guy and very encouraging during the drills.
                Last edited by Fair89; Thu Sep 17, 2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                  This doesn't directly involve me, but a few months ago my Grandma sent me a picture with the message, "I met this big guy in a restaurant and chatted with him for a little bit. He's a very funny man. I think he is famous as a lot of people wanted his autograph. This is a picture I got with him, do you know who he is?"

It was a picture of herself and Shaq!
                  That is awesome. Props to Grandma.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    That is awesome. Props to Grandma.
                    Yeah, it was really funny because she has never been interested in any sports except golf (as both my Grandpa and my Uncle liked it). She probably couldn't even name one basketball player, even Jordan.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Okay, if we can tell stories that we were not directly involved in, then I have a basketball one. It appears DogeLover1234 is the only one here who appreciates great film.

This had to be some time during the 80s because my cousin moved from Ann Arbor in 1990. He and his three daughters went to pick up his wife at the Detroit airport. Apparently, she had really hit it off with her seatmate during the flight because as they parted ways, while passing through the gate, he gave her a big hug.

"Mom!" cried her three daughters as they ran toward her "Do you know who that was?!"
                      "He was a charming man and very handsome. We spoke the entire flight" she replied.
                      "Mom! That was Isiah Thomas!"
                      "Who?" she asked....

Comment

This is a really fun thread. I'm loving it. Cool idea.

Comment

I was at Pearson 5 years ago, flying to Seattle. I just had a huge meal prior to that and really needed the bathroom. I went in one and the stalls were all occupied. So the ass that I was, I started knocking on all of them, and if I remember right I was yelling, "For the love of God, s*** faster!" or something along the lines of that. Then the stall that I was standing right in front of opened, it was Steve Nash wearing a suit!! All i said was, "big fan but i gotta go!" He looked quite annoyed haha

Comment

I've mentioned it on here before somewhere, but one time I tagged my girlfriend in one of Bebe and Bruno's ridiculous instagram posts. About 15-20 minutes later, Bebe had liked a few of her photos and written "Damn" on one of them.

Comment

My story for the thread (baseball though):

The last jays game i went to live was a hard one for me. I was supposed to go with one of my closest buddies, my old baseball coach.

Sad to say this, he passed away the night before.

So I go alone, and this guy is standing there outside the gate. He finds out his tickets fake, and he can't get in. Now, I had the other ticket, the one for my old coach on me.

So I go up and ask him if he minds sitting next to kid for the game, and he's all smiles.

We won the game, he enjoyed sitting next to me, and it was a blast.....

I also made a new friend that day.

So there, guys.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Toilet Joe wrote: View Post
                                I was at Pearson 5 years ago, flying to Seattle. I just had a huge meal prior to that and really needed the bathroom. I went in one and the stalls were all occupied. So the ass that I was, I started knocking on all of them, and if I remember right I was yelling, "For the love of God, s*** faster!" or something along the lines of that. Then the stall that I was standing right in front of opened, it was Steve Nash wearing a suit!! All i said was, "big fan but i gotta go!" He looked quite annoyed haha
                                Hahaha who doesn't like a good poop story?! Gold.

Comment

Working...
                                X