Censorship and intolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lewro wrote: View Post
    I don't think hate speech is a grey area. Doesn't matter whether I identify with the target group that is being discriminated against or not - it's offensive. These comments are in response to my post (that are not directed at said member) and it's meant to incite hate and to insult me. Nothing to do with bball. The fact that I've asked said member and the mods to stop it but it keeps happening constitutes harassment.
    If you want to tell me to "move on" (again) or ban me (again) then that's your perogative. I'm not gonna block said member bc I think we can talk about this like civilized adults. To that end, I appreciate that there is a thread like this one. I think these matters should be transparent and open to all.
    Thx Cody. I hope we can talk ball without hateful comments, plz. It's not funny. It's just hate for sick amusement.
    If you actually wanted to discuss this with "said member" in a civilized manner, you've certainly shown no effort. I pop in to this section of the forum once in a blue moon and both times theres tattle tailing and flagging and reporting, and you wonder why "said member" may get slightly annoyed. When the word Hitler is used in a context no way offensive but trying to bring perspective (in fact it was used in a way saying that he was an awful person) and I am accused of being an anti semite by you, do you not see how that would annoy me? Or being accused of being a racist, from a freaking family guy meme, a popular 20 year old prime time network television show. How offended are we gonna get here? I've finally felt the need to respond because I've sat back while you've raised a stink multiple times and called me a racist a mysoginist and an anti semite over slight offenses. Do you realize how serious those accusations are? They're much more harmful and hurtful than a fucking family guy meme. If we're going to tip toe around every perceived human difference and take ourselves this damn seriously than we'll never progress as people. Lastly I'll leave you with this

I would never be so bold as to tell someone how to process humor. It's as subjective as taste in fashion or food. Based on a complex web of experiences and worldviews, some people are left in stitches, while others are left with a shrug. But in the case of DeGeneres and in so many other examples, the outrage that follows these jokes seems to be more a reflexive hunt for things to take offense at rather than thoughtful critique.

The real problem, however, isn't the wasted energy of the political correctness patrollers or the hurt careers of comics. The danger of this outrage phenomenon is that, in the process of policing every sensitive subject, we lose comedy itself — one of the only tools we have to grapple with our testiest issues. Humor is an entryway unlike any other for talking out things we're too afraid, too uncomfortable or too pained to broach head on. If we can't joke about issues such as ethnicity, sexuality, class, politics, pain and death, we may never get through them or find ways to heal.
    Have a nice day.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I don't post here frequently but I read the forum every day. In general, I think it is well managed with a proper balance of freedom and restraints. Better than many other sports boards I frequent.

Comment

I believe this is my first visit here. A suggestion to all who may feel aggrieved about a slight (perceived or not)....is to pm (personal message) the "offender" after a considered multiple occurrence. Sometimes trying to hash out the differences "privately" rather than the glare of the forums could be fruitful...if done in an adult tone.

Comment

Only my posts matter

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
            Only my posts matter
            lol, always so nice to hear from the majestic dragon now and again.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

@psrs1 - Although I 100% agree with you that a forum should be a cool place to discuss things in a fun and decent manner, please remember this is just a forum and don't take things personally. That said, name calling should be NEVER an option at a place like this. Now give each other virtual high fives and let's get back to it

Comment

Ericlobster wrote: View Post
                @psrs1 - Although I 100% agree with you that a forum should be a cool place to discuss things in a fun and decent manner, please remember this is just a forum and don't take things personally. That said, name calling should be NEVER an option at a place like this. Now give each other virtual high fives and let's get back to it
                Name calling is allowed, as is its brother trash talk in the Fantasy section. But you make a great point here.
                Axel wrote:
                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                KeonClark wrote:
                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                KeonClark wrote:
                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                  Name calling is allowed, as is its brother trash talk in the Fantasy section. But you make a great point here.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I love me a cake eater

RR OG

Comment

Working...
                    X