Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 reasons why Kevin Ollie will be the next Raptors head coach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Fwiw, brad Stevens has no impact on me.

Ollie's 13 years in the NBA, combined with the high regard so many hold him in including Durant, is why I believe he will be a fantastic nba coach.
    Hoiberg + Donovan will be great test scenarios for next year.
    Can't wait to see how they fare...hell...can't wait for the season....and reactivate my ballstream accnt.

Comment

Ime Udoka is still my #1 target for a head coach

Don't know when he will be attainable though

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
        Hoiberg + Donovan will be great test scenarios for next year.
        Can't wait to see how they fare...hell...can't wait for the season....and reactivate my ballstream accnt.
        True. Both teams will be fundamentally unchanged from last season personnel wise. In fact assuming KD is healed that would be a plus and Rose will be further along in his healing process too. I think Hoiberg might have a tougher time taking over from Thibodeau. But interesting coaching studies cause it's not just xs & os as we know.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
          People still defending Casey

Wow Just Wow
          Your right - everyone should share your exact opinion at all times. Who would have though calling Casey mediocre would cause such drama....
          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
            Your right - everyone should share your exact opinion at all times. Who would have though calling Casey mediocre would cause such drama....
            Because defender keep bring up the same points to defend Casey. The overall record that was inflated and no real basis for any playoff chance, a high scoring offense that was a complete mirage, a terrible defense with essentially the same roster, going into another season with no coherent plan and new assistants and just complete nonsense in the off season about next year.

Comment

Top 10 reasons why Kevin Ollie will be the next Raptors head coach!

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              Unless you played for Smart that's pretty hard to objectively quantify...
              Not sure what's hard to quantify.

The biggest strategy he employs is his pressure defence concepts - designed to pressure ball handlers before they can get the ball up court and force turnovers. Full court pressure schemes do not translate to the NBA; the talent level with the ball makes any sustained attempt at full court pressure a huge liability. So one of the biggest keys to his success is nullified from day one.

The micromanaging is best by observing his team on offence. How often does the coach make a play call vs lets his players decide - in college, you can tell your PG the play to run every possession and be very successful. In the NBA, that simply wouldn't happen; NBA players are professionals and can (and will) make decisions for themselves. Successful NBA coach institute a system and then have players smart and talented enough to execute.

We can see what Shaka does at Texas this year with better talent but he still isn't someone I see as much of a NBA coaching prospect.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

What happens if the Raps exceed expectations and earn a conference finals trip? Is Masai pressured into re-signing Casey again?

Comment

Nothing that Ujiri has done to date with regards to Casey seems like a under the pressure move. He could have fired him easily this summer noting the poor performance in the playoffs. If anything he seems to be looking for reasons to keep Casey around.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    Nothing that Ujiri has done to date with regards to Casey seems like a under the pressure move. He could have fired him easily this summer noting the poor performance in the playoffs. If anything he seems to be looking for reasons to keep Casey around.
                    There were about 4 million good reasons to keep Casey after that performance in the playoffs.

And just in case my memory is wrong, the 4 million was the cost the team would still have to pay him even if he was released this season.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

It's a lot of money, but for MLSE is it that much? They are all about spending money to get the best of the best right now, so I don't see how that would stand in the way of axeing Casey if they didn't want him here. Anyone know how much those assistants they released were owed?

Comment

Man, I hate the argument of defending the coach based on "the players weren't good enough." You can have a good coach coaching a lottery team, and guess what? If you watch the games you can see that the guy can coach. Brad Stevens coached a lottery team into the playoffs. Everyone could see Stevens can coach, even though he had one of the weakest rosters in the league. Conversely, you can have a lame coach coaching a 50 win team, and guess what? If you watch the games you can see the guy is a lame coach. Mike Brown coached Lebron and rightfully lost his job. Spo coached Lebron and did a great job.

Yes, I'm sure the coach is pissed when he's trying to get players to execute and they can't/won't, but if you watch the games you can still see the effect of the coach. Last year was truly remarkable in that I've never seen fans so pissed for the majority of the season while their team was on pace to set a franchise record for wins. Think about that. I've never seen anything like it. You watch the games, you see the flaws.

I don't watch college ball and can't tell you anything about Kevin Ollie, but what I'm reading here sounds good to me. I'd guess there are a few candidates that would be an upgrade - I just want the Raps to take the next step.
                        Last edited by S.R.; Mon Sep 21, 2015, 12:29 PM.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          What happens if the Raps exceed expectations and earn a conference finals trip? Is Masai pressured into re-signing Casey again?
                          If the Raps are good enough to get to the conference finals and lose to the Lebrons, then, why would you fire the head coach? Cause unless the guy you hire can guard Lebron what more is he going to give you?

Comment

Since we are talking about coaches, I think Messina is a name that should be remembered here as well...(provided he could actually leave Pops)

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              If the Raps are good enough to get to the conference finals and lose to the Lebrons, then, why would you fire the head coach? Cause unless the guy you hire can guard Lebron what more is he going to give you?
                              It has happened, though. Rick Carlisle turned around 32 win Pistons team into back-to-back 50 win seasons and a eastern conference finals appearance and then got canned. Larry Brown took over and won the chip, so that ballsy move worked out pretty well for Joe Dumars.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                                I'm not necessarily saying that you should fire the coach in that situation.

But in a bizzaro world, if the Raptors succeed despite Casey's long list of blunders, would that be reason to replace him?

Comment

Working...
                                X