Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now's your chance: Tell Coach Casey EXACTLY what he needs to hear! Quickly! While there's STILL TIME! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now's your chance: Tell Coach Casey EXACTLY what he needs to hear! Quickly! While there's STILL TIME! :)

Okay - bragging rights available as always.

There are folks on this site who really do know their B-Ball. Tru' 'dat. And there are members who not only know the players we have, but the new players who have arrived and the coaches we've picked up, too.

So. Here's your chance to show off your expertise, your "student-of-the-game" chops ... and your sophistication, too (if you choose to be detailed).

All things considered, what three things are most necessary for Coach Casey to change, or implement, for the coming season?

(Could be anything. Could be starting Scola. Whatever. And if you have four truly essential ideas ... who'll really be counting. )

But I, for one, hope that you can dredge up some "willing disbelief" that your prayers won't go unheard by our embattled coach. And really do look forward to getting some ideas as to what to look for in the upcoming season.

#1, Use James Johnson
    #2, Tell DD to pass the ball
    #3, Tell Lowry to stop gambling on defence
    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Get a private audience with Popovich (have Masai pay a big consulting fee)...lay out the personnel with lots of video, and have Pops determine what the best general offense & defense sets to deploy.

Have an asst coach call time outs.

Have an asst coach assign the subs.

Have an asst coach draw up in bound & defensive plays after t/os

Casey will get an extension.

Comment

1) Let Andy Greer implement a conservative defensive scheme.
        2) Let Nick Nurse install his horns/movement/inside-out offence.
        3) Spread the offensive load around - no ISO ball, no high usage players, initiate offence from different areas of the floor.
        4) Use players in the roles and positions they belong in - JJ and Carroll at the 3, DD and Ross at the 2, no multi-PG lineups, no SF's at the 4, no PF's at the 5.

I know you said 4, but here's a bonus. Impose your will. If players don't play to your system, bench them. Play your game, not your opponent's - make them adjust to you. This is your last chance - this year ends the same as last year or the year before, and you are likely done. So make it count.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

1. Pound The Rock
          2. Pound The Rock
          3. Pound The Rock
          4. Pound The Rock

Comment

This is going to be very general:
            Get back to defense - capitalize on the talents of Greer and the length/athleticism combo on the roster.
            Get DeMar shooting 3s (from the corner) - I think Casey is excited to see if DeMar's work can finally pay off in 3-balls.
            Get Jonas (and everyone and the ball) on the move - pick and roll, drive and dump, kickouts, ball humming, open court, etc. Trust the pass again (to use a Casey-ism), stop forcing the shot.

This last one is big to me because last year it seemed pretty clear the team had been instructed to "keep it yourself and take your shot, there's a good chance you'll get fouled". You could guarantee that the floater - from Lou, GV, Ross, DeMar, Lowry - was going up even if there was an easy little oop available. We've got better finishers now, around the rim and behind the line - use them.

Comment

1. Utilize JV to the fullest this season to see if we can build a team around him
              2. Don't piss me off!
              3. See #1

Comment

Defence comes first, so if a player can not cut it on defensive end, then bench him ... ( Be it DD, Lowry orBig Val).

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  3) Spread the offensive load around - no ISO ball, no high usage players, initiate offence from different areas of the floor.
                  4) Use players in the roles and positions they belong in - JJ and Carroll at the 3, DD and Ross at the 2, no multi-PG lineups, no SF's at the 4, no PF's at the 5.

I know you said 4, but here's a bonus. Impose your will. If players don't play to your system, bench them. Play your game, not your opponent's - make them adjust to you. This is your last chance - this year ends the same as last year or the year before, and you are likely done. So make it count.
                  Cool ... thanks

But do you think you could elaborate on what you have in mind for a "conservative" defensive scheme (in context, I guess)?

I like the sound of everything else (though, as I said, I'm just looking for reference points, really ... things to look out for ... even read up on, like #2). Except while using people in their natural positions sounds very good, generally, doesn't there have to be room for some flexibility/creativity versus particular line-ups?

Comment

It's all the same shit we've been saying since midway through year one: quit playing vets just because they're vets (Scola, welcome to the 4th quarter!), and hold everyone equally accountable; quit allowing opposing coaches to dictate our play style; use the season to figure out effective endgame strategy instead of just pounding the rock for isos.

To get a little more specific...
                    Number one by far: quit having your big body center out hedging and chasing on the perimeter
                    Number two: spread the ball around, and make sure the guards at least try to hit the roll man in the PnR every so often
                    Number three: play James Johnson goddamnit

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                      Cool ... thanks

But do you think you could elaborate on what you have in mind for a "conservative" defensive scheme (in context, I guess)?

I like the sound of everything else (though, as I said, I'm just looking for reference points, really ... things to look out for ... even read up on, like #2). Except while using people in their natural positions sounds very good, generally, doesn't there have to be room for some flexibility/creativity versus particular line-ups?
                      Casey employs an aggressive hedging defence. I am asking for a conservative Thibodeau ICE defence. Andy Greer was a Thibodeau assistant for years.

Casey has proven that his use of creativity and flexibility results in small ball, letting opponents dictate match ups and style, and benching or underutilizing our most effective players (and our potentially most effective players). So.... No.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Casey employs an aggressive hedging defence. I am asking for a conservative Thibodeau ICE defence. Andy Greer was a Thibodeau assistant for years.

Casey has proven that his use of creativity and flexibility results in small ball, letting opponents dictate match ups and style, and benching or underutilizing our most effective players (and our potentially most effective players). So.... No.
                        Zach Lowe had a discussion with Batier in his podcast (09.10, it starts at 43rd minute) about small ball. Lowe used two examples in Gobert and Valanciunas, how to dictate instead of adapting to opposition (Gobert as a great rim protector, Jonas as an excellent low post scorer). They also discussed several counteractions/ moves how to deal with traditional bigs. They made some interesting points and what I don't like is that Casey always adjusts. This is what push overs do. At least he should try.
                        Last edited by Henry_Chinaski; Fri Sep 25, 2015, 06:54 AM.
                        MeDar ReDozan

Comment

1) Figure out your four best lineups and use them on a consistent basis; give them the lion's share of the minutes and do not sub in players that do not fit.

2) Tell shooters who are having an off night to stop shooting and start dishing, or driving and dishing, unless a layup is available.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            It's all the same shit we've been saying since midway through year one: quit playing vets just because they're vets (Scola, welcome to the 4th quarter!), and hold everyone equally accountable; quit allowing opposing coaches to dictate our play style; use the season to figure out effective endgame strategy instead of just pounding the rock for isos.

To get a little more specific...
                            Number one by far: quit having your big body center out hedging and chasing on the perimeter
                            Number two: spread the ball around, and make sure the guards at least try to hit the roll man in the PnR every so often
                            Number three: play James Johnson goddamnit
                            That sums it up for me.

Comment

Offense needs to he lowry/jv/carroll

Stop hedging defenses that forces our center to defend at the three point line

Play to teams strengths

Stop trying to maximze inefficiencies.

Players play positions, no adapting to opposition

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X