Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now's your chance: Tell Coach Casey EXACTLY what he needs to hear! Quickly! While there's STILL TIME! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mess wrote: View Post
    This has nothing to do with Casey but since it was one of the highlights of the season I feel the need to clarify.

JJ didn't lose his cool at all after Drummond shouldered him on a drive a couple plays later. Chuck Hayes was the one who politely told Drummond in a non-threatening manner to cut that shit out.

Oh word my bad, I guess my memory was bad lol. Thanks for correcting me.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      The Joe Johnson flashbacks made it so much worse. It was the whole reason JJ was on the team. "We need a perimeter defender with size." "Here you go." Then the most important 4 games of the year, when Paul Pierce had already put the entire Raptors team on notice, and JJ is glued to the bench...
      Very true. Masai had learned from the Nets series and made a roster adjustment just for a situation like this. Unfortunately Casey wouldn't even try.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Axel;519928]
        Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post

Yes, Memphis had better options, so it would make sense that his role diminished as the games became more important. Typically role players are used during the season to help preserve the better players.

Would you disagree with the existence of this trend? Not sure how that can be called "spin"?

If we had Tony Allen (or even Demarre Carroll) then people would have been clamouring for them to guard Pierce instead; but with our limited options, JJ was hands down the best option yet our coach chose to play Vasquez at SF and had Hansbrough guarding Pierce at PF.
        Ok. I yield.

And like I said. I really do wish him luck this year. I hope he makes good on his potential. No shit.
        Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sun Sep 27, 2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wild-ling#1;519939]
          Axel wrote: View Post

Ok. I yield.

And like I said. I really do wish him luck this year. I hope he makes good on his potential. No shit.

But, conversely, it's all too easy to think that many are not merely guessing but hoping Casey will fail ... rather than that he take our win total into the 50's and take us to the Conference final ... would be chagrined to be proven wrong. It's gotten personal.

Interpret tactical and personnel matters as you will, I don't think he's done anything to deserve that ... to be called "stupid" and a "moron" and such. He's not. And I don't. Ron Wilson, "yes". John Tororella, "yes". Joe Paterno, "yes".

John Gibbons? "No". Dwane Casey? "No". That okay?
          I don't think anyone is hoping Casey will fail.

I also don't think winning 50 games absolves Casey from repeated tactical errors. Talent can win despite coaching and our talent has increased but if the coaching doesn't, we will get similar results to last spring (regardless of 50 wins).

Also, just a random note, I noticed that you often use Toronto Maple Leaf references; try to remember that just because we are all Raptors fans doesn't mean we are all fans of other Toronto sports or their teams, so some of these references will mean very little to some.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Axel;519942]

I don't think anyone is hoping Casey will fail.

I also don't think winning 50 games absolves Casey from repeated tactical errors. Talent can win despite coaching and our talent has increased but if the coaching doesn't, we will get similar results to last spring (regardless of 50 wins).

Also, just a random note, I noticed that you often use Toronto Maple Leaf references; try to remember that just because we are all Raptors fans doesn't mean we are all fans of other Toronto sports or their teams, so some of these references will mean very little to some.
            Hadn't forgotten. Didn't assume we were all Penn State fans, either.

(But perhaps you'll note that I edited out most of the post you've quoted ... save the "I yield" and "best wishes to all" bits ... not in time, though, admittedly. )

But I can't help noting that what you've said seems to imply that if the team wins (setting another franchise record, maybe going deep in the playoffs, too), we should consider not crediting the Coach ... but if the team loses (whatever we think that means)... it'll be Casey's fault.

Shitty deal

Anyway ... Casey's a dick-head. No negotiation. Heard and understood.
            Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Anyway ... Casey's a dick-head. No negotiation. Heard and understood.
              Clearly not unfortunately.
              Last edited by Axel; Tue Sep 29, 2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Actually ... didn't Lowry come here with the reputation of being an "idiot"?

And (as I've noted before) he was ripped by Jack Armstrong for his immaturity and ingratitude in the exit interview. I hope DeMar can help keep him in line ...

And James Johnson? Really? The idea of a twenty-eight-year-old, in his eighth season, blowing up and ripping the coach for not holding the "veterans" accountable is laughable. The dude is just about homeless.
                I judge players not on rumours or innuendo, but what we see on the floor, in the locker room, and in interviews.

Kyle Lowry has been an absolute pro since coming to the Raps. When asked to change his style to a more pass-first game, he did. When he was asked to come off the bench in year one for a month, he didn't complain at all. On the floor he has been the heart and soul of this team, putting his body on the line over and over and over again. He was twice singled out for praise by TRoss in his AMA as the leader of the squad.

Throughout this time, we've seen Casey draw up a play on the WRONG SIDE OF THE FLOOR on the last play of a game 7. We've seen him set up Amir for a three while Steve Novak crashes the boards on the last play of a game. We've seen him lose track of time, not call timeouts, play players out of position, make headscratching decision after headscratching decision...

and all Lowry said was, "I respect him as a man".

Was it not an overwhelming show of support? Of course not. But if you think that was immature and ungrateful you need to get your head checked. And so does Jack. I love Jack but he's both a company man and a defender of coaches. Of course he was going to come out behind Casey.

I don't know why you're bringing up James Johnson with that tone when I didn't mention him in my post. Nor do I have any idea what you're talking about when you say "blowing up and ripping the coach". But the fact that you depict him as a:

lethal, hothead[s] with a penchant for wife-assault and a reputation for being un-coachable
                suggests to me that you are in love with hyperbole. Lethal? Give me a break. And a penchant is hardly the word you would use to describe someone against whom charges were dismissed.

Using loaded terms the way you are is just a convenient way to shape the argument around your opinions instead of the facts.

And the fact is that since JJ has been back, he too hasn't said one thing about being benched, is one of the first guys cheering the team off the bench and was even putting in extra time working with Bruno to help him develop.

PS. JJ has only played in the league six seasons. I suppose it's hard to keep track of genocidal war criminals who live in cardboard boxes.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Clearly not unfortunately.
                  But it's fun putting words in other people's mouths. I'm pretty sure I heard you say Andrea Bargnani is the dreamiest Raptor of all time.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    But it's fun putting words in other people's mouths. I'm pretty sure I heard you say Andrea Bargnani is the dreamiest Raptor of all time.
                    Where is that Rafa swim suit shot when you need it?

Comment

Yes, I mis-read B-ball reference as to his years in the league. He played for two teams in 2010-11 and there's a total. Fair enough (on the narrow point).

S.R. mentioned Johnson and his discontent in post #41. Which is fine, of course. But my remark wasn't "out of the blue".

I said he's "lethal" cause he's an undefeated MMA fighter with the nick-name "Bloodsport".

I think telling me (or anyone) to "get my head checked" because I disagree with you (etc.) is simply uncalled for. Talk about "hyperbole" ... should I see a neurologist or a psychiatrist, Scrappy?

And so on. Anyway ... carry on.
                      Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Sep 28, 2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I think one of the biggest questions with Casey's coaching will be how successfully this team uses tempo to their advantage. That is, can they be the Warriors of the East, or the new Heat - striking quick offensively before springing back to play elite defense? Jonas is more of a scorer than Bogut, while Bogut is a rock on D, but the ultimate hope is that Casey can get this team to be one of the top 2-way teams in the league.

Can Casey trust Jonas to make more difficult outlet passes? Just how aggressive can we be playing passing lanes? How much offense can we ignite through our defense?

These are the kinds of questions that will make or break Casey's season. How does he go from being a shitty two-way team to an elite one? It is possible, it wasn't that long ago that it looked like things were going in that direction, and now he has more firepower than ever befores.

It's a very interesting test case for how quickly you can turn these kinds of things around in the NBA - a few new players and coaches to go with some continuity and another training camp. If Casey can get this whole thing cookin' - Kentucky style - the perspective on him is going to swing mighty quick.

Comment

Jack Armstrong said that he thought Kyle needed to mature. And he spoke of how often Casey has likely remained quiet about things Kyle has said or done that he hasn't liked.

And yet Casey did mention Kyle's need to get back into shape in the off-season ... gently, in my view, as he plainly implied that it can be more difficult to do that mid-season, and coming back from an injury.

Nevertheless, Kyle has come back ultra-fit. And talking about what he needs to do as a (physically) older player and as a leader. So I'm thinking - Maybe Kyle is really taking up Casey's (and Armstrong's - his was very pointed indeed) challenge. Opinion around the league seems unanimous: Lowry's elevation to participation at the all-star game (as a Raptor) was a year late in coming. And as much as anyone, there is no reason why he can't go back-to-back and represent Toronto at this all-star game.

Seems Kyle can be pricklish. But I say he's a warrior-type. And I think Kyle may have realized, maybe pretty quickly in the summer, that the younger guys aren't the only ones who can still take a "step". He's 29. That's not actually old. It's prime.

So ... does Casey get any credit for that?

Regardless - Best of luck, Kyle. Can't wait.

Comment

Jack Armstrong said that he thought Kyle needed to mature. And he spoke of how often Casey has likely remained quiet about things Kyle has said or done that he hasn't liked.

And yet Casey did mention Kyle's need to get back into shape in the off-season ... gently, in my view, as he plainly implied that it can be more difficult to do that mid-season, and coming back from an injury.

Nevertheless, Kyle has come back ultra-fit. And talking about what he needs to do as a (physically) older player and as a leader. So I'm thinking - Maybe Kyle is really taking up Casey's (and Armstrong's - his was very pointed indeed) challenge. Opinion around the league seems unanimous: Lowry's elevation to participation at the all-star game (as a Raptor) was a year late in coming. And as much as anyone, there is no reason why he can't go back-to-back and represent Toronto at this all-star game.

Seems Kyle can be pricklish. But I say he's a warrior-type. And I think Kyle may have realized, maybe pretty quickly in the summer, that the younger guys aren't the only ones who can still take a "step". He's 29. That's not actually old. It's prime.

So ... does Casey get any credit for that?

Regardless - Best of luck, Kyle. Can't wait.
                            It seems pretty clear that within the organization, there was frustration coming from Lowry which included his back injury and difficulties getting back in shape. You can hear the frustration when he talks about everything that happened post-february. Now, the team played poorly during that period, but that losing coincided with all of Lowry's injuries, loss of shooting-touch, lack of defensive mobility, etc.

In a way the criticism from Casey (and Jack) affirm that there was a very palpable tension emanating from Lowry based on physical issues. I can relate with some back funkiness of my own at the moment, I feel lack a sack of crap even though it's not a serious injury, and am significantly less pleasant as a result.

Bottomline, I agree that Casey and Lowry and everyone else with eyes seem mostly on the same page - Lowry needed to get back to 100% - so he did.

Comment

Actually ... didn't Lowry come here with the reputation of being an "idiot"?

And (as I've noted before) he was ripped by Jack Armstrong for his immaturity and ingratitude in the exit interview. I hope DeMar can help keep him in line ...

And James Johnson? Really? The idea of a twenty-eight-year-old, in his eighth season, blowing up and ripping the coach for not holding the "veterans" accountable is laughable. The dude is just about homeless.
                              You think the brick layer can keep Lowry in line hahahaha

Lowry means 100x more to this team than DeMar
                              Last edited by MACK11; Tue Sep 29, 2015, 07:21 PM.
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                It seems pretty clear that within the organization, there was frustration coming from Lowry which included his back injury and difficulties getting back in shape. You can hear the frustration when he talks about everything that happened post-february. Now, the team played poorly during that period, but that losing coincided with all of Lowry's injuries, loss of shooting-touch, lack of defensive mobility, etc.

In a way the criticism from Casey (and Jack) affirm that there was a very palpable tension emanating from Lowry based on physical issues. I can relate with some back funkiness of my own at the moment, I feel lack a sack of crap even though it's not a serious injury, and am significantly less pleasant as a result.

Bottomline, I agree that Casey and Lowry and everyone else with eyes seem mostly on the same page - Lowry needed to get back to 100% - so he did.
                                Seems he went to the fabled 110%. Wicked.

But in his interview, he said "I just didn't play very well (after February). I just have to learn from it and move forward." Didn't even blame the injury (much less anyone else). Kudos.

Comment

Working...
                                X