Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JR Smith is effective as a catch and shoot player

JR Smith is not effective when he dribbles and shoots off the bounce

Ross is the same. Ross doesn't have the shake of either Lou or JR in order to get into lanes. He is a catch and shoot player

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Ross is the same. Ross doesn't have the shake of either Lou or JR in order to get into lanes. He is a catch and shoot player
      Ross should be studying Reddick or Korver, he's essentially a white guy that dunks. Adding a little ball handling wouldnt hurt but he should be benched if he ever stops moving but Casey hates off ball movement

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Their mentalities are completely different though. JR Smith is trigger happy, which can be a good thing when he gets hot, he can win a game on his own, and if he starts missing everything, he doesn't lose confidence. Ross is the opposite, when he starts missing, he loses confidence and that affects every part of his game.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
          But he is a catch and shoot guard primarily. His whole game should be centered around that, not dribbling the ball in isos. Ross has never been a giy who dribbles the ball alot, so why start now? He would be a much better player if he worked on better off ball movement and coming off of screens to shoot. Then combining counters for when the defense plays him tight.
          But, you don't know how his going to be used in that role. Just cause he says his going to be in that Lou role doesn't mean its all going to be iso.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
            Their mentalities are completely different though. JR Smith is trigger happy, which can be a good thing when he gets hot, he can win a game on his own, and if he starts missing everything, he doesn't lose confidence. Ross is the opposite, when he starts missing, he loses confidence and that affects every part of his game.
            I know Ross didn't light it up on his last stint on the bench, but over his career he'd shown he can effectively get up a high number of shots per minute.

Comment

Put Ross up against Powell in practice and choose the best. I am betting on Powell. And it's mostly mental imo.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                But, you don't know how his going to be used in that role. Just cause he says his going to be in that Lou role doesn't mean its all going to be iso.
                I mean, yes, we don't know. But I have my suspicions.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So Ross has been working on his handles so that he can play as a catch and shoot player? That is quite illogical.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                    So Ross has been working on his handles so that he can play as a catch and shoot player? That is quite illogical.
                    Ross should always be working on new aspects of his game every summer. Doesn't matter what role his in. He should always trying to get better each summer.

The whole "Lou Role" thing means that he'd be the focal point of the bench unit on offence. That could mean coming off screens, running pick n roll, spotting up and yes Iso as well. I feel Ross is very well equipped to do that against back ups.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Ross should always be working on new aspects of his game every summer. Doesn't matter what role his in. He should always trying to get better each summer.

The whole "Lou Role" thing means that he'd be the focal point of the bench unit on offence. That could mean coming off screens, running pick n roll, spotting up and yes Iso as well. I feel Ross is very well equipped to do that against back ups.
                      Yes, it will probably mean a combination of those three things. Sadly, we've seen that Ross is very ineffectual at three of those - curling off screens in DD sets went very poorly last year, he's terrible as the PnR ball handler and is not an iso player either.

He's a good spot up shooter, and he's good running around screens to get open (again for a spot up shot) at the arc a la Kyle Korver, but neither of those actions are indicative of a Lou Williams role. Lou had the ball in his hands from the get go every play - it was part of why Vasquez was so ineffectual offensively last year.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lou would also come off pin downs as well not all iso.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          Yes, it will probably mean a combination of those three things. Sadly, we've seen that Ross is very ineffectual at three of those - curling off screens in DD sets went very poorly last year, he's terrible as the PnR ball handler and is not an iso player either.

He's a good spot up shooter, and he's good running around screens to get open (again for a spot up shot) at the arc a la Kyle Korver, but neither of those actions are indicative of a Lou Williams role. Lou had the ball in his hands from the get go every play - it was part of why Vasquez was so ineffectual offensively last year.
                          If Ross' handle has improved than would help with all those 3 things. I believe this the perfect role for Ross. Come in if he gets hot you ride him and if he doesn't than you have other options. I always thought Ross' ceilling was Jamal Crawford/JR Smith/Nick Young type but that could play D.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

If Ross' handle has improved than would help with all those 3 things. I believe this the perfect role for Ross. Come in if he gets hot you ride him and if he doesn't than you have other options. I always thought Ross' ceilling was Jamal Crawford/JR Smith/Nick Young type but that could play D.
                            You might believe it is the perfect role for Ross, but if he's going to be a primary option/ball handler then I have to vehemently disagree. He's never shown any proclivity towards that role or usage.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              You might believe it is the perfect role for Ross, but if he's going to be a primary option/ball handler then I have to vehemently disagree. He's never shown any proclivity towards that role or usage.
                              I believe Cojo will get them into their sets. The sets would be to primary get Ross a look in one those three combinations. The guys scored 50 so its obviously in him.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

they'll probably run these sets for Ross that they use to run for Lou or whatever
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X