Has Casey finally learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Casey finally learned?

Great article by Josh Lewenberg here about training camp.... I posted it as well in the Fire Casey thread, but i know some of you aren't gonna lug through pages.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/raptors-to-...-camp-1.368917

So.... my question is up..... has Casey finally understood?
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Its stuff like this that makes me think we are smarter than him. A lot of us have been saying this for damn near a year.

Every rational fiber in my body tells me that, with an organization behind him and years of experience, I must be the one that is missing something. But there is nothing he just said that we haven't.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      Its stuff like this that makes me think we are smarter than him. A lot of us have been saying this for damn near a year.

Every rational fiber in my body tells me that, with an organization behind him and years of experience, I must be the one that is missing something. But there is nothing he just said that we haven't.
      I'm still wondering what he does well. Isn't great at managing games, isn't great at putting systems in place to maximize players strengths. There isn't much left to be good at.

Comment

Too early to tell. I thought he improved 2 years ago when we first made the playoffs. However he fell back straight down last year. The playoff sweep was the icing on the cake.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
          Too early to tell. I thought he improved 2 years ago when we first made the playoffs. However he fell back straight down last year. The playoff sweep was the icing on the cake.
          He didn't improve. They traded away Bargs who was a big negative. Then they traded Gay whose play style didn't match with the rest of the personnel. Additionally, they brought in an actual bench with that Gay trade. Those improvements were moreso Masai than Casey.

Casey is frustratingly inflexible. The fact that the team's primary big isn't mobile enough to blitz and blitzing basically burnt out Amir he should have recognized what to do. The only reason blitzing worked was because of Amir's mobility. With Amir leaving, if they maintain the same system, the Raps are in trouble.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

Lol dude's been in the game coaching and playing for 40 years. I'm pretty sure he's smarter than all of us when it comes to basketball.

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            The fact that the team's primary big isn't mobile enough to blitz and blitzing basically burnt out Amir he should have recognized what to do. The only reason blitzing worked was because of Amir's mobility. With Amir leaving, if they maintain the same system, the Raps are in trouble.
            As for the blitzing, I'd like to think that he had that system in place because of the pylons they had for guards (GV and Lou) trying to give them as much help as they could. With Joseph, Wright and a thin Lowry, I think we'll see the bigs in better position defensively.

Comment

TdotRTZ wrote: View Post
              Lol dude's been in the game coaching and playing for 40 years. I'm pretty sure he's smarter than all of us when it comes to basketball.

As for the blitzing, I'd like to think that he had that system in place because of the pylons they had for guards (GV and Lou) trying to give them as much help as they could. With Joseph, Wright and a thin Lowry, I think we'll see the bigs in better position defensively.
              what does his 40 years mean? Its an assumption that time = competence. its more about an abilty to survive like a cockroach

Comment

Has Casey finally learned? We can only pray to all known gods, benevolent or demonic, that this is true.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                  I'm still wondering what he does well. Isn't great at managing games, isn't great at putting systems in place to maximize players strengths. There isn't much left to be good at.
                  Casey is great at getting along with his bosses which goes a long way to keeping your job. He's the anti-Thibs, when you think about it.

Comment

I can't wait to see Carroll publicly berating guys who take dumb shots. It's going to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Comment

For quite awhile, those who questioned DC have often been met with a barrage of "you're just stupid fans" and "he's an NBA coach and you aren't" type retorts.

If fans are stupid because they aren't NBA coaches, and then an NBA coach does exactly what those stupid fans have been suggesting for several seasons, what does that make said NBA coach?

Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Oct 1, 2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        For quite awhile, those who questioned DC have often been met with a barrage of "you're just stupid fans" and "he's an NBA coach and you aren't" type retorts.

If fans are stupid because they aren't NBA coaches, and then an NBA coach does exactly what those stupid fans have been suggesting for several seasons, what does that make said NBA coach?

I hate those responses, right up there with, "hes an all star." It doesn't tell me why my beliefs are wrong, which is what i want. A good discussion isnt telling others that they are wrong but showing others what is right at least how i see it.

Comment

I don't think I could possibly agree more with this. I mean, I love that he was so late to the party. Or, possibly, because he doesn't adjust...he had to wait years.

Although I do think I can predict the defense here: "Back to Back Franchise Wins!"
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Lewenberg's article article suggests that the players got away from the defensive commitment that brought them success in 2013-14 because of the (previously unimaginable) success they had in the first half of 2014/15.

The article then emphasizes that:

1) the returning players have come into camp with a renewed commitment to sharing the ball (given how things fell apart during the second half of last year and the pain endured). And

2) Some of the key additions are players who were pre-committed to this and will help reinforce the coach's message.

Impossible to miss the implication, though, CRF, that any and all fans who are reluctant to simply blame Casey for all of the Raps struggles are just "stupid/"fools".
                            Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Oct 1, 2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

You have a point there, but Casey still isn't as dumb as we all claim. Here's why, first off, either Jeff weltman or Dan Tolzman (don't remember) did this analysis that SOMEHOW found that iso ball could be more efficient (don't have source, read it in a tweet from this reporter). Thing is though, he didn't account for the "superstar factor", but this data was still used a lot during the season cuz LOUUUUUUU and vaz were willing to chuck. The switcharoo scheme had to be used cuz the guards we have (LOUUU) were HORRIBLE on defense (also vaz), so then the bigs took the fall for it all, scrambling to help. Casey knew that these schemes were gonna screw us over, but if he does it differently, then we just have a different scapegoat. The only thing he could've done was play JJ more but apparently there was a beef there(JJ was basically us, he saw the problem, didn't see the context behind it, and just got mad at Casey). His pride never allowed him to admit it, also it would've been stupid to come out and say "yeah our GM fucked this team up, we're gonna suck".
                              Thankfully masai admitted to his mistake this offseason (that's the difference between him and BC, BC would've stuck to his guns and got MORE iso players because of his pride), and he fixed the team composition this year. This allows Casey to employ better schemes. If Casey didn't know where we screwed up all along Masai would've definitely fired him. Guys, we've been duping ourselves all along, I fully expect an advanced, more talented version of our 2nd half 2013-2014 raptors team.

Comment

Working...
                              X