Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is T Ross underappreciated by the Raptors fan base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooch wrote: View Post
    last year was an anomaly.

He was out of position and injured.
    Ross has had an awful DRTG every year in the NBA. He's not good on defense. He might have a good game here and there, but when you look at every season as a whole, he's a terrible defender, and below average on offense too. He's an excellent spot up 3pt shooter, and that's it. His TS% is below average too, which means he offsets his nice 3pt% by shooting terrible everywhere else and never getting to the line.

Comment

No fuck him
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        Typographic error on my part. Meant that only Batum and Ross were really the same ages as rookies and thus their age 23 seasons would be more comparable. Doesn't change the stats.

Ross shouldn't play SF. Pretty sure we all knew that when he was drafted, too slender of a build.

I think you are overrating the rebounding difference.
        okay then. other than shooting threes, how else are these two players similar?

what simularity between the two makes you think that ross will/is as good as ross.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          okay then. other than shooting threes, how else are these two players similar?

what simularity between the two makes you think that ross will/is as good as ross.
          I assume you meant "as good as Batum" but my point isn't that Ross is as good as these players, merely that the gap isn't that far off considering the "scrub", "vet min", "lucky to be in the league" type of comments that have been directed at Ross.

Ross and Batum are similar body types, best suited for the SG position (neither are particularly strong enough to battle at SF regularly). Both can hit their shots but neither are particularly shot creators. Batum had a big advantage in assists but he also had a big jump as his previous year was less than Ross; this demonstrates that role and offensive scheme adjustments could see Ross's assist number increase.

I see Ross as the type of player that if he is gone next year, he will do really well in a better suited role. Hopefully he does it this year and Casey keeps him to the role.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'd want him back for cheap but because his contract is in the way of a max deal he'll be moved.

I wish he got to play for a different coach. He has skills but I think he'd produce a lot better in a different system.

Comment

I think he's fairly rated by the fanbase.

It's hard to stress just how bad he was on D last year.

On D, we were 6 pts worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor. The only guys worse were Landry, Steamer, Bruno, and Bebe.

In terms of Defensive RPM he was 467th of 474 players rated by ESPN.

In terms of play types, he was 30th percentile defending spot ups, 36th percentile defending isos, 21st percentile on pick and roll man, 44th percentile on ball handler, and 42% off screens.

Couple this with a 51.8% TS and the 10th worst FTA/possession rate of 274 players w/1000 minutes and I think it's hard to say he's underrated.

The last excuse for him dissolved when DeMar went down, because he had his big opportunity and did nothing with it. Hopefully being a part of the second unit will take some of the pressure off and he'll be able to carve out a niche for himself.

Comment

Ross was bad on D his second year, terrible last year. He has value offensively, for sure.

He's got excuses aplenty. This year, off the bench and in his correct position, not so much.

Good news is, unless they fear him accepting the QO, they can keep his RFA rights until they get a commitment from a big name free agent, or just keep him if no such free agent agrees to come.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I assume you meant "as good as Batum" but my point isn't that Ross is as good as these players, merely that the gap isn't that far off considering the "scrub", "vet min", "lucky to be in the league" type of comments that have been directed at Ross.

Ross and Batum are similar body types, best suited for the SG position (neither are particularly strong enough to battle at SF regularly). Both can hit their shots but neither are particularly shot creators. Batum had a big advantage in assists but he also had a big jump as his previous year was less than Ross; this demonstrates that role and offensive scheme adjustments could see Ross's assist number increase.

I see Ross as the type of player that if he is gone next year, he will do really well in a better suited role. Hopefully he does it this year and Casey keeps him to the role.
                  Okay. Yea I agree with you on that. He is far from a vets minimum player. His shooting alone keeps him out of that category. I think most of the people that say he's "lucky to be in the league" just out of anger. And He makes a lot of stupid plays that can easily anger an individual

I thought you were saying that Ross is as good as if not better than batum, parsons, and green. That's what I was arguing
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I hate the teasing aspect of Ross' game. I have effectively written him off. Then for three games in the preseason I see the kind of activity that originally got everybody excited. I want consistency. This is his season to demonstrate it. He can become an NBA pro, or just enter into 4 years of bouncing around the league until everyone has finally had enough.

Comment

I like what Ross brings

Definitely one of the smarter wing players we have...to bad he got drafted to a Casey run team

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        Ross was bad on D his second year, terrible last year. He has value offensively, for sure.

He's got excuses aplenty. This year, off the bench and in his correct position, not so much.

Good news is, unless they fear him accepting the QO, they can keep his RFA rights until they get a commitment from a big name free agent, or just keep him if no such free agent agrees to come.
                        When it comes to his D, it seems to me that he struggles more with the team defence (rotations) rather than the man-to-man scenarios. He seemed his best defensively when we put him on a PG and said "guard this one man off the bounce" - so I am hoping that with the defensive scheme change away from the help heavy scramble system that Ross will settle in much better. He has the physical tools so if the system allows him to play without as much thinking, I believe he can be successful.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'd just like to point out that Ross' horrible defensive numbers were significantly affected by him having to pick up the toughest perimeter match-up every single night. Having one of the worst DRTG's on the team does NOT make him one of the worst defenders on their team - as much as he spaces out, he was still the best perimeter defender on the team over the last couple of seasons (aside from the JJ debate).

Ross should be better playing SG off the bench without bone spurs in his ankle. If he isn't, then we won't miss him when he's gone.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

When it comes to his D, it seems to me that he struggles more with the team defence (rotations) rather than the man-to-man scenarios. He seemed his best defensively when we put him on a PG and said "guard this one man off the bounce" - so I am hoping that with the defensive scheme change away from the help heavy scramble system that Ross will settle in much better. He has the physical tools so if the system allows him to play without as much thinking, I believe he can be successful.
                            Not just guarding pgs, when he has been given someone to defend straight up. I remember games of him shutting Paul George down.

Comment

Considering how terrible Lou, GV and Lowry looked last season, piling on Ross seemed unfair. The defense was just garbage and it wasnt just because of Ross.Nobody looked good.

Comment

Agree 100% Ross struggles when he has to think due to not having the greatest basketball IQ but if you tell just guard this guy 1on1 he's much more successful. But he still needs to learn team defense because basketball is a team sport.
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X