Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Flip Saunders

Geezus ....

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Flip Saunders, the longtime NBA coach who won more than 650 games in nearly two decades and was trying to rebuild the Minnesota Timberwolves as team president, coach and part owner, died Sunday, the team said. He was 60

Saunders was diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma in June and doctors called it "treatable and curable" when the Timberwolves made the diagnosis public in August. But he took a leave of absence from the team in September after complications arose during his recovery.

Saunders went 654-592 in 17 NBA seasons with the Timberwolves, Detroit Pistons and Washington Wizards.

Sam Mitchell has been named interim head coach of the Timberwolves and GM Milt Newton is heading the team's personnel department.

Philip Daniel Saunders was born on Feb. 23, 1955, in Cleveland and was a prep basketball star at Cuyahoga Heights High School. His mother Kay nicknamed him Flip after hearing the name at a beauty salon. He played in college at Minnesota, teaming with Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson as a senior to lead the Golden Gophers to a 24-3 record.
    So terrible.

Flip Saunders has passed away

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

It came out of nowhere, I thought he'd miss this season and be back next year
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
        It came out of nowhere, I thought he'd miss this season and be back next year
        I was completely shocked when I read the headline ... So terrible.

Comment

Oh no.

I had a friend who died of Lymphoma as well. It came on suddenly, he was also much younger than Flip and did not last long after diagnosis. Terrible.

Comment

Shocking.

Comment

Too soon.

Comment

Wow, I just found out now! So terrible... too young.

I just saw on the news yesterday that he wouldnt be coaching anytime soon, and Sam Mitchell would take his place. Shocked.

Comment

From KG's facebook page:

KG is hurt, I bet.

Comment

I was shocked when I saw the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                      I was shocked when I saw the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Same here. May he rest in peace.

Comment

Wow, only 60. Goddamn cancer....

I liked Flip as a coach. He always had entertaining teams.

Comment

Working...
                        X