The World Soccer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    I know. I was shocked like everyone else was when they reported that he was practicing in Scotland with the Celtic. It's a shame because he was really the only significant bright spot on the FC roster. That being said, he is 32 now and likely his best years will now be behind him.
    He'd be good as a reserve playing in Scotland, but his money is gonna be made in the MLS. After these shenanigans, I'd be willing dollars to donuts that the new GM and coach aren't gonna tollerate that kind of shit. I think they'll trade him.

Comment

Soooo yesterday was quite the busy day with the last day of the January transfers. I'm pretty happy with my Blues breaking the bank to acquire Torres and also very excited for the signing of the young defender Luiz from Benefica.

Eventhough Liverpool lost Torres, the signing of Carroll was pretty huge and Suarez gives them some depth and added firepower too.

Comment

Soooo yesterday was quite the busy day with the last day of the January transfers. I'm pretty happy with my Blues breaking the bank to acquire Torres and also very excited for the signing of the young defender Luiz from Benefica.

Eventhough Liverpool lost Torres, the signing of Carroll was pretty huge and Suarez gives them some depth and added firepower too.
        as a liverpool supporter, im kind of on the fence about all this... but at the same time, anything to not repeat this last year.... ANYTHING

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          as a liverpool supporter, im kind of on the fence about all this... but at the same time, anything to not repeat this last year.... ANYTHING
          Carroll's a helluva player though. Suarez is alright, but the two of them more then make-up for the loss of Torres.

Comment

Suarez is alright when he's not batting balls with his hands from his goal line.

Damn Doc, your boys sure did open their wallets this transfer period despite having lost a ton of cash last season.

Comment

Suarez was a great signing, but Carroll is so overrated. 41 million euros is way too much. Suarez is far better, and he was 25 million.

Also, Chelsea will be facing the FA because they breached UEFA regulations with their huge spending, with no income... But Torres at 58 million is just.... too much.

As a Juventus fan, I'm pretty disappointed. But, I'm happy with Matri. I would have preferred Pazzini though, and sadly Drenthe couldn't come. I would really love Criscito to come back to Juve, and Giovinco and Immobile. Also, Juventus have a verbal agreement with Lucas Piazon, who is considered to be the next Kaka.

Comment

I'm a happy camper this afternoon. Chelsea beating Man U. makes my day. (Sorry Mango) Can't wait to watch it tonight when I get home.

Comment

I'm a happy camper this afternoon. Chelsea beating Man U. makes my day. (Sorry Mango) Can't wait to watch it tonight when I get home.
                  I was following the game on ESPN podcast and apparently, the Blues got all the calls. However, that's how it is with every home team - the home team will always get the majority of the favourable calls from the ref. However, cheers to the Blues for burying their chances.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    I was following the game on ESPN podcast and apparently, the Blues got all the calls. However, that's how it is with every home team - the home team will always get the majority of the favourable calls from the ref. However, cheers to the Blues for burying their chances.
                    Ah well, its still Man U's title to lose this season. Arsenal are great, but can't win when it counts the most.

Comment

Ah well, its still Man U's title to lose this season. Arsenal are great, but can't win when it counts the most.
                      Apparently, neither can Man U...

Great sunday for me.. i'm a liverpool supporter til i die, and Kuyt is one of my favourite players in the world... but we had no business beating Man U... i'll take it though.. gave me an excuse to break out the Kuyt jersey for the first time since summer

Comment

Gotta give credit where it's due. The scousers laid a beating on my lads Sunday. They deserved to win - Kuyt was a monster.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          Gotta give credit where it's due. The scousers laid a beating on my lads Sunday. They deserved to win - Kuyt was a monster.
                          Suarez was a freak show. Man, what a steal for the Reds. Great pick up.

Comment

So, who do you guys have as the winner for Euro Cup '12? Surprise to no one who knows me, I gotta back my Germans.

Comment

Well, I gotta be rooting for our own team of course, but we have a very difficult first round group with the numbers 3,4,9 and 10 from the fifa world ranking in Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark and Portugal. It's far from a certainty for any of these countries to get out of this group (though likely that Denmark won't).

We were runner up in the World Championship two years ago, but I think the general feeling is that the Spanish are (again) favorites and that the Germans rank second. The Netherlands are probably right behind them.

Comment

So, who do you guys have as the winner for Euro Cup '12? Surprise to no one who knows me, I gotta back my Germans.
                                As much as I would like to see my Spanish brethren win it again, they are simply not the same team they were 4 or even 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong they are still a very strong unit, but I don't think they will take it. To me the favourites gotta be the Germans. I think they will win it all.

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                Well, I gotta be rooting for our own team of course, but we have a very difficult first round group with the numbers 3,4,9 and 10 from the fifa world ranking in Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark and Portugal. It's far from a certainty for any of these countries to get out of this group (though likely that Denmark won't).

We were runner up in the World Championship two years ago, but I think the general feeling is that the Spanish are (again) favorites and that the Germans rank second. The Netherlands are probably right behind them.
                                Another one of my favourites (behind only Brazil as the soccer nation I cheer loudest for), I would love to see the Oranje win. I will def be rooting for them. It's going to be tough though, like you mention they have a very tough group. Clearly the "group of death" in this tourney. I think it will be the Dutch and Germans to make it out of that group.

Should be a great tourney!

As a side note, this thread started out as a Toronto FC discussion. What a miserable state of affairs that team finds itself in. So sad man.
                                Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Thu Jun 7, 2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X