No announcement yet.

Easy shots. Dunks, layups, open 3's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once the poor shooting normalizes some of the current issues will sort themselves out but I still firmly believe that this team has a usage problem in that it doesn't have enough playmakers. Moving the ball is great but if you're moving it to guys who aren't doing much with it then you aren't finishing off possessions.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I hate seeing DeRozan play with the bench. The backup unit plays well when Joseph is breaking down defenses with his dribble, moving the ball and finding open players (Patterson & Ross) for 3pt shots. When DeRozan plays with that unit he dominates the ball and tends to go ISO more, which negates the strengths of the lineup.

At least when Lowry plays with them he is able to defer to Joseph and play off the ball, providing another 3pt threat.

The backup lineup so desperately needs an interior presence that demands attention from the defense. Scola would be so effective playing a high/low game with Joseph, with Biyombo in for rebounding and Ross in for 3pt shooting.

That means that the 5th player needs to be Lowry or Carroll, to help spread the floor. DeRozan is too ball dominant and can't shoot the 3, so he's a bad fit. JJ plays great off the ball, but he can't shoot the 3. If Bennett could prove to be an effective spread-4, I could see him and JJ joining Scola in the front court. That would mean that Biyombo becomes the odd-man out, but I think the rebounding would be more than fine with Scola, Bennett and JJ.
      Right now on every screen Biyombo man follows CoJo leaving Biyombo wide open and other defects waƮting to pick off passes. Adding Demar means less PnR. 2 guards can straight drive and dish. It's my turn your turn but its better than what's happening now

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Once the poor shooting normalizes some of the current issues will sort themselves out but I still firmly believe that this team has a usage problem in that it doesn't have enough playmakers. Moving the ball is great but if you're moving it to guys who aren't doing much with it then you aren't finishing off possessions.
        You started wtih a point about playmaking but then you ended up on finishing ability. Obviously the two are pretty connected, and teams like the Hawks have shown that moving the ball is great if you've got he shooting to back it up.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          You started wtih a point about playmaking but then you ended up on finishing ability. Obviously the two are pretty connected, and teams like the Hawks have shown that moving the ball is great if you've got he shooting to back it up.
          Right now if shooters hit every open shot, Raptors still are a bad passing team

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            Normalizing poor shooting isn't a problem - shooting always runs hot and cold. It will get hot ...red hot again, and people will say "aha, the ball movement system is finally working now". The problem comes after that when the shooting inevitably goes ice cold again and resisting the temptation to stop moving the ball & re-lapse back into heavy ISO to win games. If you don't resist that urge, then you never truly learn to break that addictive ISO habit and allow a ball/man movement culture to take root which helps keeps your shooters ready and in rhythm.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Normalizing poor shooting isn't a problem - shooting always runs hot and cold. It will get hot ...red hot again, and people will say "aha, the ball movement system is finally working now". The problem comes after that when the shooting inevitably goes ice cold again and resisting the temptation to stop moving the ball & re-lapse back into heavy ISO to win games. If you don't resist that urge, then you never truly learn to break that addictive ISO habit and allow a ball/man movement culture to take root which helps keeps your shooters ready and in rhythm.
              Also just the general inability to do anything other than revert to ISO/hero ball if Option A isn't working on offense.

I'm not giving up yet - we've seen some good signs early this season. Just need to keep moving in the right direction overall. There will be relapses.

Also, Jonas should be smashing shit in the locker room after a game like Miami. Honestly. I hope he was throwing basketballs and people's heads.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

So last night they actually created some easy/high percentage shots. Fastbreaks, DEEP low post plays for Scola and JV. Cory Joseph. Seems like the guy can get to the rim whenever he wants lol. He's so smooth.

Still not a fan of Lowry's shot selection and decision making though.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  So last night they actually created some easy/high percentage shots. Fastbreaks, DEEP low post plays for Scola and JV. Cory Joseph. Seems like the guy can get to the rim whenever he wants lol. He's so smooth.

Still not a fan of Lowry's shot selection and decision making though.
                  Raptors need to sperate them let KL and Demar run an ISO heavy offense with DC-Scola-Biyombo with the bench running more plays. Except for DC everyone on with the starters are on 1-2 year deals and the bench 3-4 except 2Pats.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Joey made a point about the term "ISO" - that it isn't just a player going one-on-one with someone else (but still having the option to dish, I guess), but when teammates clear out (to pull out help-defenders, but remove passing options, I guess).

(Sorry if I've extrapolated inappropriately here.)

So while we hear a lot about "ISO ball, if we're over-using the term our analysis is flawed, isn't it? Meaning that DeMar can start a one-on-one "move", but dish to (i.e.) a cutting Carroll (as he did quite a bit when he was playing) ...

?

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                      Joey made a point about the term "ISO" - that it isn't just a player going one-on-one with someone else (but still having the option to dish, I guess), but when teammates clear out (to pull out help-defenders, but remove passing options, I guess).

(Sorry if I've extrapolated inappropriately here.)

So while we hear a lot about "ISO ball, if we're over-using the term our analysis is flawed, isn't it? Meaning that DeMar can start a one-on-one "move", but dish to (i.e.) a cutting Carroll (as he did quite a bit when he was playing) ...

?
                      That's not good passing. Spurs, GSW get more on second and thirds passes than the initial pass. It's unselfish because nobody gets the assist who starts it

Comment

Quin Snyder is a pretty underrated coach. The Jazz seems to always get easy shots right after a timeout. They're very unpredictable. The Raptors on teh other hand just play 1 on 1 after timeout lol. I've seen games this year where they just turn the ball over right after a timeout.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Quin Snyder is a pretty underrated coach. The Jazz seems to always get easy shots right after a timeout. They're very unpredictable. The Raptors on teh other hand just play 1 on 1 after timeout lol. I've seen games this year where they just turn the ball over right after a timeout.
                          Compared to Casey, every coach looks like they make the right plays.

Comment

You are suffering from Wittman syndrome. Every coach looks like an underrated wizard (see what I did there) when facing off against Casey.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Via HoopsHype.com:

Paul Garcia: Mudiay on facing Spurs for 1st time: “That’s the thing man, nobody takes more than 3 dribbles. It’s bam bam. The ball is somewhere else.” – via Twitter PaulGarciaPS

Emmanuel Mudiay, Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs

That is the dream.

Comment

Carroll just seems bad in the lane.

Comment

Working...
                                X