Eastern Conference Standings Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It was just an idea that the team might perform better without the label, "better than LeBron" attached.
    Lebron? Never heard of her
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
      By now you guys should know not to care where we end up. We have proven being the higher seed means absolutely nothing so at this point I could give a flying fuck if we stay 2nd. It's all about the playoffs for me. Who cares if we end up second or even pass Cleveland and get first and then lose to Charlotte or Chicago in the first round. It's actually more of an embarrassment.
      Bold is the point here, not that seeding is meaningless.

Also, I agree. The next step for the Raptors is not getting home court in the first round - they've already achieved that two years running. The next step is winning the first round, no matter who the opponent is. Yeah it's historically/mathematically easier if you're the 2nd seed playing the 7th seed, but the point here is just that the Raps have to win a round to consider this season a successful step forward, regardless of seeding.

I also think the Raps by now need to be way beyond the "hoping for a favourable match-up!" phase of being a new playoff team. If they're a fringe playoff team for the third year running who needs the right match-up (in the East!) to get to the second round, then they've made a lot less progress than I'd like to think they've made. I'd like to think - I'm hoping - they can beat any team in the East other than Cleveland.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Also, I agree. The next step for the Raptors is not getting home court in the first round - they've already achieved that two years running. The next step is winning the first round, no matter who the opponent is. Yeah it's historically/mathematically easier if you're the 2nd seed playing the 7th seed, but the point here is just that the Raps have to win a round to consider this season a successful step forward, regardless of seeding.

I also think the Raps by now need to be way beyond the "hoping for a favourable match-up!" phase of being a new playoff team. If they're a fringe playoff team for the third year running who needs the right match-up (in the East!) to get to the second round, then they've made a lot less progress than I'd like to think they've made. I'd like to think - I'm hoping - they can beat any team in the East other than Cleveland.
        We do need to win a round (I think two), but it would be that much better to do it as the 1 seed.

Comment

I think most posters agree that winning in the playoffs is all that matters. For me game one at home is crucial --we must win and set the tone for the series. Get ahead and put the pressure on your opponent rather than chasing. I dread that 1230 tipoff on that first Saturday. Is there anything MU can do to push for a later start time?

Comment

• Yep need to win game 1, or you're playing catch-up for at least the next 2 games. It's just a shit way to start a series, losing game 1 at home.

Blow them out of the building in the first game. If you lose game 2 fine, but set the tone.

Comment

Yeah, I agree man. There's so much paranoia on this forum about the Raptors flaming out. I don't think it's going to happen.

In our first playoff run (3 seed versus 6th seed Net), we had a higher seeding, but we were definitely the underdogs. We were playing against some HOFers who schooled our inexperience, yet we still pushed that team to 7 games and the final possession. Kyle Lowry's end of game shot goes in, and the conversation is 100% different about this Raptors team and playoffs. Literally one possession.

Last year was a special year IMO. Special in a bad way. We were the 4th seed heading into the playoffs, but really we had flamed out by February, playing .500 basketball at best with next to no defense. It's not shocking we got our asses whooped. However, I don't think that ass-whooping is indicative of anything other than last year we had a tired team and nobody to check Wall and Beal defensively in the first round.

This year's team is not last years team. This year's team is better and this year's team is a very good defensive team with two years of first round match ups to learn from. I expect them to be out of the first round and have no hesitation saying that. Whoever the Raptors play in the first round, they are the better team. Chicago worries me because of match up issues, but other than that, you gotta believe the better team should and will prevail.

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
                Yeah, I agree man. There's so much paranoia on this forum about the Raptors flaming out. I don't think it's going to happen.

In our first playoff run (3 seed versus 6th seed Net), we had a higher seeding, but we were definitely the underdogs. We were playing against some HOFers who schooled our inexperience, yet we still pushed that team to 7 games and the final possession. Kyle Lowry's end of game shot goes in, and the conversation is 100% different about this Raptors team and playoffs. Literally one possession.

Last year was a special year IMO. Special in a bad way. We were the 4th seed heading into the playoffs, but really we had flamed out by February, playing .500 basketball at best with next to no defense. It's not shocking we got our asses whooped. However, I don't think that ass-whooping is indicative of anything other than last year we had a tired team and nobody to check Wall and Beal defensively in the first round.

This year's team is not last years team. This year's team is better and this year's team is a very good defensive team with two years of first round match ups to learn from. I expect them to be out of the first round and have no hesitation saying that. Whoever the Raptors play in the first round, they are the better team. Chicago worries me because of match up issues, but other than that, you gotta believe the better team should and will prevail.
                Just wanted to focus on the bold for now as I agree to varying degrees with the rest.

In regards to the bolded...there was only one other playoff team who flamed out post All Star break at the same level as the Raptors (if not worse). Guess which team.

If Chicago ends up as either the 7 or 8 seed; there's a VERY decent chance they still advance forward (especially if healthy). It's the only team that I think either the Cavs or Raptors can lose to in the first round and it not being considered an upset.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Bulls looked awful tonight but still don't want to face them in the fourth quarter.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Bulls looked awful tonight but still don't want to face them in the fourth quarter.
                    Nor the first round.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      Bulls looked awful tonight but still don't want to face them in the fourth quarter.
                      Its one of those statistical anomalies that the Bulls seem to have our number over the past couple of seasons. It used to be Charlotte that had me scratching my head as to why they had our number but we burried those pricks last year and so far this year. The Bulls with both Butler and Mirotic out till mid march run the real risk of actually dropping out of the top 8 before they get them both back and even after they get back they are going to have to get by some pretty good teams who might just be in front of them or slightly behind them in Charlotte / Indy / Whiz and the SVG let Pistons to make the post season.

Not that it matters but if we finish 2nd which is still most likely scenario....the best roll of the dice for us would be to see the geriatric Heat finish 4th and the more myth than reality 20150-16 Bulls miss the party altogether.

Regardless of who finishes where .... the road to the NBA finals goes through Cleveland
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Feb 27, 2016, 01:17 PM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• In a weird way, I almost want the Bulls after the toughness we showed last night. Might do Lowry and the boys good to exorcise that demon in the first round.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          In a weird way, I almost want the Bulls after the toughness we showed last night. Might do Lowry and the boys good to exorcise that demon in the first round.
                          Wondering if the Raps even get the chance...

The Bulls have a pretty tough road ahead. They have 25 games left.

13 of them are against plus 500 teams and 8 of those are on the road. They also get another 3 against teams scrapping hard to get in to the playoffs.. Whiz / Jazz / Pistons.

4-6 last 10
                          8 -12 last 20
                          10 - 15 last 25.

At some point you have to see them for what they are.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Feb 27, 2016, 01:38 PM.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• I hope we maintain enough of a lead on second so that for the last 6 games or so, delon, Norman, Bruno and Bebe can get some serious burn in actual nba games.

Comment

• the lack of knee-jerk homerism on this thread after that cavs win is disappointing

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                In a weird way, I almost want the Bulls after the toughness we showed last night. Might do Lowry and the boys good to exorcise that demon in the first round.
                                A lot of us wanted Brooklyn two years ago...

Comment

Working...
                                X