All-Time Favorite "Glue Guy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Time Favorite "Glue Guy"

Toronto fans love blue collar players who put their bodies on the line doing the dirty work. Its a shame that the Raptors don't have many of these kind of players right now because if they did they could be in the playoffs with a legit chance at doing something. Ah well, this thread is about reminiscing and giving appreciation to the glue guys of Raptors' teams gone by. You'll see a poll at the top. Feel free to place your vote and also if you will, please discuss your choice below. I have omitted some guys you may consider glue guys. I tried to limit the choices to players who didn't have near star roles with the team. Two examples would be Oak and Alvin; Oak was the leader and almost a double double guy and Alvin was the team quarterback. Also feel free to bust out a top five list if you're having trouble selecting a single guy.
    Amir Johnson
    0.00%
    Jorge Garbajosa
    52.38%
    Matt Bonner
    0.00%
    JYD
    23.81%
    Keon Clark
    0.00%
    Other
    23.81%
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Apr 19, 2010, 09:22 AM.

That's a pretty solid five. Maybe there's someone missing pre-Keon, but I was pretty young then and didn't really have an appreciation for the workers yet.

Comment

Yeah and by all means if someone thinks of a guy before Keon do tell. I'm drawing a blank as it was so long ago and the teams weren't that memorable beyond the likes of Christie, Camby and Mighty Mouse.

Comment

He wasn't here for long, but Popeye Jones was alright too!

Comment

I voted for JYD. I don't didn't see him play much as a Raptors player. But I did watch him play a lot more than a handful of times as a Pistons player. I am sure that his MO did not change after he left the Pistons
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

If it wasn't for that injury in Boston, Garbajosa would still be huge factor with this team to this day. The effects he had on this team on the court was phenomenal. We haven't had a player play that gritty on a consistent basis I think ever here in Toronto. It's a shame his career ended the way he did with that injury.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              If it wasn't for that injury in Boston, Garbajosa would still be huge factor with this team to this day. The effects he had on this team on the court was phenomenal. We haven't had a player play that gritty on a consistent basis I think ever here in Toronto. It's a shame his career ended the way he did with that injury.
              me too. since garbo was so cheap ( i mean financially, haha) we couldve afforded to keep him and have this new roster, and that wouldve been awesome!!! him and amir?? damn...we can only wish....

im thinking Jack would probably end up in this list too someday.

Comment

Jorge Garbajosa -- only played on the list to tie both the defense + the offense together. Very intelligent, good passer, good shooter, highly skilled. A lot of fun to watch.

Jerome Williams was a better player though.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                  Your kidding right? JYD better than Garbojosa? I don't know about that Dave. I normally agree with you on stuff, but Jorge I think was more well rounded than Jerome was. JMO though.

Jorge's defense and rebounding where just as good as Jerome's, but offensively it wasn't even close to what Jorge could do compared to Jerome. JYD was there to collect garbage baskets. Garbo had range and was great off the dribble and with control wasn't hesitant at all taking it to the hoop. JYD's offense went as far as his two-handed dunk could take him.

Comment

Garbajosa averaged 6 rebounds per 36.
                    Jerome Williams averaged 10 rebounds per 36.

I think that difference is more important than Garbajosa's superior offensive package.

Also, while Garbajosa was a highly skilled offensive player he wasn't all that efficient. He shot 42% from the field and 34% from three while rarely getting to the foul line. His overall true shooting percentage was only 50%. That limits his skill-advantage offensively.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

i have to go with mo-pete on this i mean i'm not sure what he was really like. but, he would always do crazy circus shots at the end of the quarters and everyone on the raptors would laugh.

it just seemed like he would make everyone laugh and stuff.

he was by no means a star or anything. but, he jsut seemed like a glue guy
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Anthony Parker first season with the Raps, was money. He was the kind of Shooting Guard that kept it together when the likes of Bosh or TJ Ford weren't on the floor or were struggling.

Its too bad that Anthony Parker wasn't a 25-28 years old guy but a 31 year old when we signed him. We would be in the playoffs today with a 28-31 year old Parker.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Anthony Parker first season with the Raps, was money. He was the kind of Shooting Guard that kept it together when the likes of Bosh or TJ Ford weren't on the floor or were struggling.

Its too bad that Anthony Parker wasn't a 25-28 years old guy but a 31 year old when we signed him. We would be in the playoffs today with a 28-31 year old Parker.
                          Good call -- Anthony Parker, in that first season, was my favourite Raptors role player + glue guy.

Parker was outstanding that season (particularly on defense).
                          nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                            Jorge Garbajosa -- only played on the list to tie both the defense + the offense together. Very intelligent, good passer, good shooter, highly skilled. A lot of fun to watch.

No way dude. JYD was a glorified garbage man who missed 500 points worth of layups every year. Garbajosa actually had a jumper, was a better perimeter defender and didn't take asinine shots.

Comment

Jorge had ice cold blood. He didn't care what the situation was, give him the ball and you'll have the same odds if its the first shot of the game or its tied 100-100 with a second left on the clock. He was also a very intelligent player. In terms of ball IQ, no one could match him on the Raptors. It made up for his total lack of athleticism.

Comment

Working...
                              X