Bryan Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Colangelo

I was so excited to see the presscon, but Doug Smith was right, there was nothing really new and surprising that BC was going to say.

Same things as the players said, "disappointing season", bosh hasnt decided, will do whatever to improve next season, etc etc.

And the swagger that he had, just made me think, he's the Shaq of all GMs. A guy past his prime, but still has the ego thing that he's the best just because he did a couple of good things during his career. Both should retire.

I think the last thing that would really make me want to scream at BC is if he trades jack and retains Jose. With CB, he has no control. He can only do as much convincing as he can but if CB does want to leave then cant do anything about that. But if he trades Jack, im moving to Minnesota.

I think the key point to management is intellect. Colangelo's mind is still young. He's not "past his prime", he's just playing the game as he always has only some of his gambles have bombed.

Comment

Brian Colangelo will be very successful once he parts ways with Andrea Bargnani.

As much as a player like Tim Duncan makes a GM look brilliant, a player like Bargnani makes a GM look foolish.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

So a guy with who posted 17 and 6 at age 24 is making Colangelo look foolish? Sorry man but I think you're way off base on Andrea.

Comment

Brian Colangelo is not even close with Shaq situation. Shaq is 100% declining, BC just placed some risky bets and he lost. Going the safest route may work but then again you never know when a injury to a key (max player/huge contract) can suddenly disrupt even the safest route.
          You forget that in this league, there are 30 teams (30 GMs) and all of them are trying to build contenders, nobody wants to lose. Therefore, you have to outsmart 29 GMs besides of the fact you need money and lots of luck. Celtics have 4 All Star caliber players and still they couldn't win even the Easter Conference title.
          The funny thing is, every summer people thinks that BC did the right moves (at least last summer moves were praised by everybody) but then they will rip him off if the moves didn't work.
          Also, I am not sure what exactly you expected BC to say. He wouldn't give you this summer plan, there are so many unknowns for this summer equation.

Comment

Centers who play poor-to-very poor defense + are abysmal rebounders make their teammates life's extremely difficult.

They put a lot of pressure on others and make the team in general look less talented than it truly is.

One poisonous piece of the puzzle can do a lot of damage.
            nbaroundtable

Comment

Bargnani is a jump shooting version of Eddy Curry
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                Brian Colangelo will be very successful once he parts ways with Andrea Bargnani.

As much as a player like Tim Duncan makes a GM look brilliant, a player like Bargnani makes a GM look foolish.
                Andrea Bargnani is one of the contracts that is not bad at all on Raptors books. Andrea is a 24 year player, still developing his game and all he is showing the glimpses of excellent playing on many occasions. Parting with Andrea, won't make BC look less foolish, BC will be always the one who drafted Andrea at #1!
                The bad contracts: Hedo, Jose, Banks, Evans

Also, the funny thing is everybody is blaming BC for failed quick patches still suggest yet another quick patch: move Andrea and get back a washed up Center?

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                  Bargnani is a jump shooting version of Eddy Curry
                  I don't ever remember Bargnani showing up to camp over weight. I also never see Bargnani gasping for air or moving very slowly up and down the court.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                    Andrea Bargnani is one of the contracts that is not bad at all on Raptors books.
                    That's what BC said and I'm not buying it. He says other experts consider him to be a good contract; I could maybe buy that if it didn't go against every ounce of my common sense. I also wonder why I haven't read a single article anywhere which comes close to suggesting that. If people in the league are telling him than then they're just doing lip service, nothing more.

I understand why he gave him the contract, he had to show that he's sticking by his #1 pick but let's call a spade a spade.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      So a guy with who posted 17 and 6 at age 24 is making Colangelo look foolish? Sorry man but I think you're way off base on Andrea.
                      Wouldn't matter if it was 34 and 12, it is not about the numbers it is about his heart or lack thereof.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                        Brian Colangelo is not even close with Shaq situation. Shaq is 100% declining, BC just placed some risky bets and he lost. Going the safest route may work but then again you never know when a injury to a key (max player/huge contract) can suddenly disrupt even the safest route.
                        You forget that in this league, there are 30 teams (30 GMs) and all of them are trying to build contenders, nobody wants to lose. Therefore, you have to outsmart 29 GMs besides of the fact you need money and lots of luck. Celtics have 4 All Star caliber players and still they couldn't win even the Easter Conference title.
                        The funny thing is, every summer people thinks that BC did the right moves (at least last summer moves were praised by everybody) but then they will rip him off if the moves didn't work.
                        Also, I am not sure what exactly you expected BC to say. He wouldn't give you this summer plan, there are so many unknowns for this summer equation.

Well said.

Just one caveat...he took a "risky bet" he did not have to...Triano. With so many new faces...and one can argue about not paying more attention to rebounding and defense/interior presence...not hiring an experienced NBA coach with a track record of having dealt with a similar setup of new faces, was a bit much.

Comment

He was justifying Andrea's contract by saying that LaMarcus Aldridge's numbers are roughly equal and he is making $15 million more. It is a facile argument to make though, because of how LaMarcus successfully contributes to a team with one of the best defences in the NBA. Furthermore, LaMarcus is getting more points and more rebounds on a team that plays a turtle's pace. Very few possessions occur in the majority of those Portland games.

I understand why BC did not choose LaMarcus first overall, given that Bosh was around. But he can't think that they are same quality of player based on superficial numbers, especially when he says that he doesn't look at those kinds of indicators.

Comment

OzRapFan wrote: View Post
                            Wouldn't matter if it was 34 and 12, it is not about the numbers it is about his heart or lack thereof.
                            If Bargnani were 34 and 12, he would be a steal. Sorry, but that is just a sign that Bargnani could NEVER do enough - and that isn't productive.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                              I was so excited to see the presscon, but Doug Smith was right, there was nothing really new and surprising that BC was going to say.

Same things as the players said, "disappointing season", bosh hasnt decided, will do whatever to improve next season, etc etc.

And the swagger that he had, just made me think, he's the Shaq of all GMs. A guy past his prime, but still has the ego thing that he's the best just because he did a couple of good things during his career. Both should retire.

I think the last thing that would really make me want to scream at BC is if he trades jack and retains Jose. With CB, he has no control. He can only do as much convincing as he can but if CB does want to leave then cant do anything about that. But if he trades Jack, im moving to Minnesota.
                              While I understand your frustration tbihis, I'm not really sure what people expect BC or GM's in general are going to say at these year end press conferences. He's expressed his disappointment and ensured that things will be done in order to fix those problems, but I'm not surprised that BC kept his cards close to his vest like he always has. It's not like he's going to call out his players and coaches or discussing specifics to players that he's looking to shop or who's he's hoping to acquire. Like always, we'll find out whatever moves he'll make when we least expect it. That's just how Bryan Colangelo rolls.

Fret not friends, this summer will be an entertaining one but I trust that BC will do what needs to be done in order to get this franchise back on track. He got us into this mess, at least give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to fix it before your totally write him off.

Comment

Working...
                              X