• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #27 - Toronto Raptors 99 - Charlotte Hornets 109

Raptors Probable Starters
    C – Biyombo
    – revenge game, should have a good night on the glass

PF – Scola
    – would rather see PPatt in this one. Scola could really do some damage inside against Marvin, Kaminsky, Hawes.

SF – Ross
    – might be worth using to cover Batum as Hairston is a floor spacer only, will need to be more engaged vs Lamb

SG – DD
    – can take less workload by covering Hairston at times

PG – Lowry
    – facing a similar style PG, will need to win that matchup

Charlotte Starters
    C – Cody Zeller
    – filling in for Al Jeff, Zeller has had some big lines recently 20-6 vs Det, 17-8 vs Chi and should not be underestimated.

PF – Marvin Williams
    – after posting a season high 18 pts on the heel of a double double, Marvin has posted back to back duds. A boom or bust player who can get hot from the outside but offers little on the interior.

SF – PJ Hairston
    – only takes about 4 shots per game with 3 of those coming from deep.

SG – Nic Batum
    – regained his shooting stroke after a wrist injury last season. With a triple double vs the Heat this week, there are rumblings that Charlotte will max Batum this summer.

PG – Kemba Walker
    – is cooking this season, posting 22 PPG, 5.3 RPG, and 4.7 APG with 1.7 SPG ad 2.7 3PM in the past week, including a 33 point night vs Memphis

Key Bench

Lin – bad hair and all, is having a pretty good season
    Lamb – resurrected his career and now is a valuable contributor
    Kaminksy – rookie big man is shooting well from deep and playing decent defence
    Hawes – bigger role with Al Jeff out, but another floor stretching big man

Al Jefferson is still out with a leg injury and has a 5 game suspension looming upon his return and will not be available for this game.

Charlotte will be coming off a back to back, as they are in Orlando the night before. Orlando may not be the best team in the league, but Coach Scott Skiles has a reputation of always ensuring his team competes hard on defence. Charlotte is 2-1 on 2nd night of back to backs, with wins over the Knicks and Nets and a loss to Boston.

Charlotte is 10-4 at home (4-5 on the road). Their defence is 4 points better at home (96.4 OppPPG) and their offence is 2 points better (103.7). They've won 7 of their last 10 games.

Play Style

Charlotte and Toronto are both in the Top 4 for PPP when using hand-offs. But Toronto is last in frequency while Charlotte is 6th.

Charlotte has had good success with ball movement and shot up shooting. They rank 9th in freq % and PPP on spot ups and are 3rd in the league in FGA on Catch and Shoot. Marvin Williams gets the most FGA on these as the stretch PF. Patterson should be a good match up for Marvin, as neither is particular good off the bounce.

Charlotte is 10th in potential assists as a team; the ball movement for them is key for their progression from last year. Batum has added a new dimension to their offence and PJ Hairston has done a good job as a low usage, spot up shooting defender.

Charlotte does a good job of using the roll man on the PnR, scoring 3rd best PPP and using the roll man 11th most freq.

Charlotte is last in offensive rebounds per game, but 4th in defensive rebounds. This suggests that their scheme doesn’t promote crashing the glass. Finding your man, and getting initial contact should be enough to secure the defensive boards, as the Hornets are not a team to really chase after them. This should allow Biyombo and Bebe to get the lion’s share of the defensive boards, while PPatt and Scola can simply find their man. This should make PPatt less of a liability on the glass.

Keys to Victory

Be physical - lots of shooting bigs, but not a lot of physicality. Coming off b2b and us having lots of rest, getting at them physically will benefit us.
    Find the balance - Scola could have a big game with inside scoring, but so could JJ if he can contest their deep shots. Need more than just DD/KL to win.
    Smart defence - Charlotte will move the ball, so keeping focused and aware will be necessary to prevent open looks

Key Match Up
    DD vs Batum

The two pending UFA guards are both scoring and distributing. Batum is the catalyst for Charlotte’s improved offence, with his passing and shooting balancing the ball dominant ways of Kemba Walker. If DD (and Ross) can get Batum into foul trouble or limit his effectiveness, then Charlotte’s offence is much less effective as it falls into the hands of Kemba to create everything.
    Raps win big (10+)
    13.79%
    Raps win tight (less than 10)
    68.97%
    Charlotte wins tight
    13.79%
    Charlotte wins big
    3.45%
    Last edited by Axel; Tue Dec 15, 2015, 10:50 AM.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Another good team then Miami. Good chance to see what needs to be fixed. Only thing the Lakers, Spurs, Bucks and Sixers gauntlet did was hide stuff

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Another good team then Miami. Good chance to see what needs to be fixed. Only thing the Lakers, Spurs, Bucks and Sixers gauntlet did was hide stuff
      With the few days off before the game, this should be a real good assessment of where we currently are as a team.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

another good team then miami. Good chance to see what needs to be fixed. Only thing the lakers, spurs, bucks and sixers gauntlet did was hide stuff
        #raptors.#allfakewins.

Comment

Just like last year; people have already pointed out the issues but it's going on deaf ears in pretty much the exact same manner as last year.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I'll be watching star wars mothafuckas!
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              With the few days off before the game, this should be a real good assessment of where we currently are as a team.
              Except not really cause the Raptors don't have two of their top 4 players. All we are learning is how good or bad they are without JV and Carroll, which can be valuable knowledge but I'm not sure we're going to learn anything we don't already know....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Except not really cause the Raptors don't have two of their top 4 players. All we are learning is how good or bad they are without JV and Carroll, which can be valuable knowledge but I'm not sure we're going to learn anything we don't already know....
                By "where we currently are" I mean taking that into account. A few days off to prepare should see a more developed game plan, so if we come out moving the ball well and clean up some things, then we can reasonably assume what the message was to the players and how well they execute. If we come out sloppy and lethargic, then that tells us something different. Coaches don't often get a few days to prep for an opponent, and these are the type of games that really show what message is being presented to the players (the short prep games tell us how well that the message is retained without practices).

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  Nice dude.

Comment

smart
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I've got tickets for Friday night. We'll chat then.

Comment

Could be a bad omen. Kemba "Sky" Walker went off for 33 against Memphis when it was Star Wars night.

Comment

No spoilers! Not catching it until after Christmas
                          OG is our king

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I've got tickets for Friday night. We'll chat then.

Saturday for me.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                              X