SNTs With the Knicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNTs With the Knicks

Are there any trade machines out there that work with sign and trades? This is based off my own calculations:

To New York: Chris Bosh ($16.83 mil*), Jose Calderon ($9 mil)
    To Toronto: David Lee ($10.7 mil**), Eddy Curry ($11.27 mil), Danilo Gallinari ($3.3 mil), Tony Douglas ($1 mil)

*Chris Bosh's salary: Assuming the 56.1 million dollar salary cap, the max salary for Bosh that he will most likely receive is 0.30 * 56.1 million = $16.83 million

**I'd assume Lee wants something in Lamarcus Aldridge territory: $65 mil over 5 years. That'd be more than a 20% raise over his current $7 mil salary, so he'd be BYC... but I don't know how that effects SNT, especially when New York is under the cap. Assuming he does get a contract identical to Aldridge's, his salary for the first year would be $10.7 million.

So outgoing salary for the Raptors is $25.83 million. Knicks are sending out $26.27. I believe it still gives the Knicks enough salary for another max contract (perhaps JJ or Gay).

Anyway, Raptors now have:

PG: Jarret Jack/Tony Douglas/Marcus Banks
    SG: DeMar DeRozan/Sonny Weems**/Marco Belinelli
    SF: Danilo Gallinari/Hedo Turkoglu
    PF: David Lee/Reggie Evans
    C: Andrea Bargnanni/Eddy Curry

**Assuming team option

At this point we have the MLE which could be used on Amir Johnson to round out the team. Or someone else.

Trade benefits: We get two young players in Douglas/Gallinari and we are able to offload Jose's 3 years 30 million for Eddy Curry's expiring contract. This could payoff come next season's trade deadline. Also we replace one All-star with another. Of course, Lee is no Bosh - but it may actually work out better for us with Turkoglu (Lee doesn't need touches like Bosh does). Also there's no slip in rebounding.

Possible problems:

- David Lee and Andrea Bargnanni may not be the best of friends (remember the tech Lee got for mocking Bargnanni), but who knows how deep that goes.

- We took out one European (Jose), but brought in a third italian (Danilo). The possible rift between American-Euro players may increase?

- David Lee is not a good defender.

Why do the Knicks make this trade? Well, they get "one of the big three" and still have enough cap space to go after another FA, and this time they have Bosh to lure that other FA to them. They also get a formidable, although expensive, PG that should do well in a D'Antoni system given his ability to shoot the ball.

PG: Jose Calderon/??
    SG: Bill Walker/??/JR Giddens
    SF: Wilson Chandler/??
    PF: Chris Bosh/??
    C: ??/??

They could give Sergio Rodriguez a qualifying offer to round out their PG rotation. If my assumptions are correct and they still have room for one more max money FA, they could possibly go after Dwayne Wade and give a defensive-minded centre the minimum (Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq, Big Z?). Or put Bosh at C like Amare in Phoenix and play with a smaller PF.
    Last edited by Marz; Tue Apr 20, 2010, 09:36 AM.

I truly,truly hope that raps dont do a sign and trade with the Knicks. That trade would make us even worse defensively.

Comment

I disagree. I don't think it improves our defense, but I don't think it makes us worse.

We replaced Jose Calderon with Tony Douglas who has the tools to be a better defender (and has more Defensive Win Shares than Jose and Jarret Jack).

David Lee is worse than Bosh at defense, but Bosh was no stalwart himself.

Danilo Gallinari's defensive rating is just a hair shy of Weems' (112 vs 113 points allowed per 100 possessions).

And if we retain Amir Johnson and give him more minutes, I don't think our defense would be any worse than last season. If you truly think the trade makes us worse defensively, please say why.

Comment

If the Knicks were willing to do that trade, then I think it would be the best option Toronto have in a sign and trade with Chris Bosh.

Getting Gallinari is a big plus. Gallo and Lee give the team two pieces that can have a long term future here.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

I don't think Knicks will be willing to part with Gallinary.
          Anyway, if can get Lee and Chandler, I'll be more than happy.
          Will still have to resign Amir and replace Reggie with a good C/PF.

Comment

Would Bosh want SNT with the Knicks? They aren't a "WINNING" team.

Anyways i rather have Houston! SNT Bosh + Turk = Yao + Battie + Jordan Hill + NY draft pick

Comment

Why do Raptor fans continually pine for David Lee??? I simply don't understand it. This trade would not improve the Raptors, and not make them bad enough to get a high draft pick. You people seem to want to commit the Raptors on the long path of mediocrity.

Those Knicks that Raptors would get were the core of a team that won 29 GAMES!!! You're taking away two of the most effective Raptors (Bosh and Calderon), keeping the worst ones and adding players who could only win 29 games,

And I notice you don't have Johnson in there, either. So the top three effective Raptors go, and you get three guys from a 29 win team.

Ya, great trade.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

On second thought, may this team WOULD make them bad enough to get a high draft pick. If that's your plan, good job, but I'd rather not get any more long term contracts back, then.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Personally I don't like David Lee and don't want him on my team, but I like to make trades. I mentioned Johnson in there, you must have just glanced over the lineups.

Anyway, we can't just "blow up" the team unless you have a plan to unload Hedo Turkoglu and Andrea Bargnani. From the sounds of it, neither of those players are going anywhere. If that's the case, we have 4 years of "mediocrity" with $20 million dollars tied up each season. So then you might as well put a decent product on the floor unless you want Toronto to get Seattled.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
                    Why do Raptor fans continually pine for David Lee??? I simply don't understand it. This trade would not improve the Raptors, and not make them bad enough to get a high draft pick. You people seem to want to commit the Raptors on the long path of mediocrity.

Those Knicks that Raptors would get were the core of a team that won 29 GAMES!!! You're taking away two of the most effective Raptors (Bosh and Calderon), keeping the worst ones and adding players who could only win 29 games,

And I notice you don't have Johnson in there, either. So the top three effective Raptors go, and you get three guys from a 29 win team.

Ya, great trade.
                    Because Lee is the best piece that Raps can get if they trade with NY.
                    If they trade with Houston, I like Scola better than Yao.
                    Yao would be just too slow for their offense.

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
                      I truly,truly hope that raps dont do a sign and trade with the Knicks. That trade would make us even worse defensively.
                      +1,000,000

I don't want ANYONE from the NYK roster...thanks but no thanks!

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                        Because Lee is the best piece that Raps can get if they trade with NY.
                        If they trade with Houston, I like Scola better than Yao.
                        Yao would be just too slow for their offense.
                        Actually, Lee isn't the best piece the Raptors can get. Lee fits VERY badly with the Raptors and would not make them a better team. His poor defense would give the Raptors THE worst defensive frontcourt in the league. By far. This is why I simply don't understand this talk of Lee. If a rich man's Chris Bosh got the Raptors 40 wins, how is a poor man's Chris Bosh going to do anything but lead the team to a worse record?

I'd rather get Gallinari and Wilson Chandler, and not take back Lee and his long term contract. You don't have to match salaries, here. You get two young players who will only get better, with good contracts that would be very easily tradable if they needed to be, but who could also have a place on the team.

Again, Lee is a very bad fit for the Raptors, and taking him back would give the Raptors another bad defensive player with a big, long term contract.

Scola is a very good player but if it's a sign and trade for Bosh, the Raptors aren't going to be competing next season, so I'd rather get back young talent. Scola would not be a long term piece if the Raptors lose Bosh. If they want to trade Scola for Bargnani, I'd be up for that.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                          If you truly think the trade makes us worse defensively, please say why.
                          I'm not sure how you can say getting 2 guys from a team that way almost as bad as us defensively, will not hurt us further.

Bosh might only be an average defender, but Lee is definitely below average. Pairing a below average defender with Bargnani will make our defense worse, no two ways about it.

Getting rid of Calderon might help out up top a bit, but bringing in a worse defender down low hurts us more. All PGs get beat off the dribble by other PGs its very common and getting rid of Bosh down low just means once there is penetration we're even less likely to stop it than we were before.

Comment

Working...
                          X