Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zach lowe did a full on raptors column today- how do they get from "good" to "great"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I think the answer is obviously Marc. Also I'm not worried about his age all that much. His brother is 5 years older than him and still producing at a high level. Both of them don't play and athletic game.
    I think we have a better chance by going in a completely different direction. Lowry's window simply doesn't match where this team is and where it needs to be.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      I think we have a better chance by going in a completely different direction. Lowry's window simply doesn't match where this team is and where it needs to be.
      Disagree, its not often when you have two All-Stars on your roster(first time in raptor history). I think you have to take advantage of this. Raptors would be clear cut contenders for the next 3 plus years.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        It's a great read but it also hammers home how close we are to being stuck.

Would LOVE to see us play on Christmas.
        I don't think we're stuck at all. As of today we're the 2nd best team in the east with young assets out the wazoo. Every contract is tradeable, even a demar 25 million is tradeable next year. I'm a firm believer in giving a general manager 5 years to execute. This is year 3 for Ujiri. As mentioned in the article, the 3 and D beast that is Carroll hasn't been healthy since last year's playoffs. We haven't seen it yet. This years playoffs and more specifically this offseason will finally unlock a clear idea, I believe, on how and when we get to the top tier. We are actually a lot closer to that tier than reading around these boards would indicate. And a large chunk of that is due to the leap in basketball iq demar derozan has taken.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I thought we couldn't, for most intents and purposes, trade JV until the end of the season - what's the point then?

We've been eyeing up Horford for a while now. A trade would allow us to pretty much "contend" and then in the summer become a super-spender contender (while still having the youth and flexibillity that Brooklyn didn't). There's going to be a little window here where everyone else is stuck at the cap while we can spend over to have-it-all, but that depends on your ability to trade for a great free-agent to be, and your confidence you can (go over the cap to) sign them.

Between now and the draft there are going to be trades, that looks pretty clear. The question is whether Masai throws a bone to Casey at the deadline for once, or let Casey sink or swim again and wait for the draft.

We have too many solid player-prospects, and we are in need another elite player - looks like there's a storm comin'. Masai is like the female tiger, lurking in the grass, as a gazelle approaches.

Comment

Disagree, its not often when you have two All-Stars on your roster(first time in raptor history). I think you have to take advantage of this. Raptors would be clear cut contenders for the next 3 plus years.
            Vince and Antonio Davis say hi.

With that said; trading JV for Marc Gasol a bad move. It's possible that JV may never be as good of a player as him but given his age and current production level; there's literally nothing to say that he can't provide enough for a significantly longer time to balance that out.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Intriguing idea. The concern I would have is that it seems like the type of move BC would make.

Comment

Correction, they would be potential contenders for as long as Lowry is here and can play at that level. You called it 3 years a few posts back. Now it's 3+? I think 3 was more accurate.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Why is Memphis trading Gasol? They signed him to a long term deal, and are 6th in the West. Don't see them falling out of the playoff race either. Once Conley gets healthy they'll be a difficult matchup for most teams.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Why is Memphis trading Gasol? They signed him to a long term deal, and are 6th in the West. Don't see them falling out of the playoff race either. Once Conley gets healthy they'll be a difficult matchup for most teams.
                    If they feel like Conley might leave I could see them open to trading Gasol.

Comment

Really like the idea of JV/Marc Gasol trade. Raps are going all in on the backcourt. I don't think Raps have time to wait on JV's potential. Gasol would automatically make raps legit contenders in the east.
                      Dwane Casey: “The day of the centers has gone by”

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...s-has-gone-by/

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        Intriguing idea. The concern I would have is that it seems like the type of move BC would make.
                        Well than I guess we can be a treadmill team forever
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Their only two games above 500. That core just hasn't worked.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Well than I guess we can be a treadmill team forever
                            I don't think trading JV is the right move either, I think of gaggle of picks and prospects plus ross (after poison pill) Patterson etc is all we need to get a 4th "quasi star" (fringe all star) at the pf position would put us over the top. Frankly I salivate at the thought of Al Horford and it'd be nice if something in Atlanta pissed him off.

When you get right down to it, there is 3 maybe 4 great teams. One has steph curry, one has lebron james, one has Greg popovich and 5 excellent players, and finally kd and westbrook. It is not easy. They list Boston, Philly and Phoenix with more assets, but Boston is a notch below us and the other 2 are currently in basketball hell. Which other teams, in the "very good" tier, have more assets and flexibility? I'd argue nobody. Masai is an A1 gm, and everybody so eagerly anticipated the last 2 offseason and then disappointedly started throwing around "treadmill", well, I think we're finally reaching an endgame of sorts in the next 10 months.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I don't think trading JV is the right move either, I think of gaggle of picks and prospects plus ross (after poison pill) Patterson etc is all we need to get a 4th "quasi star" (fringe all star) at the pf position would put us over the top. Frankly I salivate at the thought of Al Horford and it'd be nice if something in Atlanta pissed him off.

When you get right down to it, there is 3 maybe 4 great teams. One has steph curry, one has lebron james, one has Greg popovich and 5 excellent players, and finally kd and westbrook. It is not easy. They list Boston, Philly and Phoenix with more assets, but Boston is a notch below us and the other 2 are currently in basketball hell. Which other teams, in the "very good" tier, have more assets and flexibility? I'd argue nobody. Masai is an A1 gm, and everybody so eagerly anticipated the last 2 offseason and then disappointedly started throwing around "treadmill", well, I think we're finally reaching an endgame of sorts in the next 10 months.
                              Agreed, JV last stretch of games have really impressed me even though its been against poor competition.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                                If they feel like Conley might leave I could see them open to trading Gasol.
                                Conley will be playing for the Knicks next season, imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X