Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zach lowe did a full on raptors column today- how do they get from "good" to "great"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kinda agree with Chr1s1anL here. I also think that the "win now" opportunity is now while Lowry and DeRozan are in their primes. Replacing Jonas with Gasol would really improve this roster (at least on paper).

Personally, I'd rather have 3 years of conference finals appearances, than perpetually "looking to the future".

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Dwane Casey: “The day of the centers has gone by”

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...s-has-gone-by/
      "We don't have the personnel to pass."

"I didn't think Demar could play the pick and roll as well as he does."

"We didn't run an offence last year."

"We hired an assistant coach to install a defence for us."

It's pretty freaking unbelievable lol.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I kinda agree with Chr1s1anL here. I also think that the "win now" opportunity is now while Lowry and DeRozan are in their primes. Replacing Jonas with Gasol would really improve this roster (at least on paper).

Personally, I'd rather have 3 years of conference finals appearances, than perpetually "looking to the future".
        Well, he brought Iguadola into Denver trying to push them over the hump, so there is Ujiri precedent. I have been saying for a couple years now that the organization was set up to do something big in 2015-16 and they tried last offseason with Aldridge. I have no doubt they will try to do something again this season and given all the cap space out there in the NBA and the lack of big names in free agency, I think this offseason is going to present a lot of opportunity with trades with teams desperate to do something, anything at all, to improve.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
          Intriguing idea. The concern I would have is that it seems like the type of move BC would make.
          MU and BC seem like plar opposites. The only problem with staying away from the risks BC would normally take is that you don't get to see the fruit of risks MU does not take. There has to be a balance.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            "We don't have the personnel to pass."

"I didn't think Demar could play the pick and roll as well as he does."

"We didn't run an offence last year."

"We hired an assistant coach to install a defence for us."

It's pretty freaking unbelievable lol.
            Disagree.

It is very believable given the source.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Why is Memphis trading Gasol? They signed him to a long term deal, and are 6th in the West. Don't see them falling out of the playoff race either. Once Conley gets healthy they'll be a difficult matchup for most teams.
              We're second in the East and looking to make trades. It's about making moves to contend I guess.

Comment

I'm on the fence. Is Lowry/DD/Gasol enough to beat James/Irving/Love?
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  if we had Popovich perhaps.

We don't.

Comment

Gasol is having a down year. Low on rim protection metrics, and below average on offense. If we made that kind of trade, you'd have to hope this is just an anomaly, not a trend. If this season's Gasol is what you get from here on in, then that's not a huge upgrade over JV on defense and a clear downgrade on offense.

Comment

That's exactly how I feel. I'd rather be in the conference finals for the next 3 years than wait on potential.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't know about Jonas for Gasol, but we've got the resources to become a bigtime player. It's (almost) time to consolidate talent and spend that money while other teams are stuck below the new cap.

Just gotta find the right power forward.

Comment

I don't know if they would beat them but, they would have the best chances of anyone else in the eastern conference. Right now I would say CHI is the second best team in the east. I think adding Marc puts us over them. How fun would a CHI vs TOR series be with Marc and Pau going head to head?
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                            if we didn't have Casey perhaps.

We do.
                            Fixed

Comment

I often find myself on the other side of debate from Christ1an... but he is absolutely right on this

I've said it in a few threads now...it's time to see what 4 1st round picks, and roster full of young guns can buy us
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

But it's Lowry/DD/Gasol and Carroll...and, potentially, an upgrade at PF...plus I'm assuming we'd still be left with a halfway decent bench. That'd be a damn good team.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X