Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belinelli: Start or 6th Man?

Pick your poison guys and gals.

After his last 4 games (most notably tonight with his 19 points) and the fact that outside of Bosh the only other consistent player as of late has been Marco, does he deserve to start or would you rather have him remain coming off the bench?

Thoughts?

My only problem with him starting is that we would lose bench offensive firepower which is equally important. If Jack was playing well I'd have no issue with Belinelli starting but you need your bench to score and if he's starting, that leaves the bench very thin for scorers.

Comment

You need a spark off the bench. Marco's supplyimg it. Off the bench, no question.
      Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

Bellini off the bench

i say keep him coming off the bench just increase his minutes played if he's on fire.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Definitely keep him on the bench but make him a vital part of the team. We really really need somebody like him off the bench. I don't get why he's not on the floor in closing minutes when it's obvious that Jack shouldn't be? They really need to ditch that dumb idea of having 2 PG's on the floor. It gives little benefit to us, and just creates a glaring weakness on the D.

That, and Jack just isn't playing well enough to be getting minutes when it matters.

Comment

He has to come of the Bench. The issue is not with our bench play its our starters. Our bench gives us that spark. Our starters are the ones that are inept defensivley and are not willing to do the little things that win games. Your next forum question should be which player would you move from the starting lineup to the bench.

Comment

I think DeRozan is the team's best two guard and I'd like to see him stay in the starting lineup.

Belinelli is best served off the bench. He's ball happy + trigger happy. If he was in the starting unit he'd be taking touches/shots away from better offensive players. It's better for him to come off the bench and have more of a starring role while he's on the floor.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Oakley made a somewhat obvious but still great point on the broadcast the other day:

How good your team becomes is decided by your starters, the bench is only there to give the starters a break.

Simple quote which is more or less true, and by that rationale a team has to put out its strongest five out there to start the game. Right now that means Belinelli's in, even though he seems like an ideal bench player give the standards we've come to expect of the second unit.

I think there's enough offensive in the starting lineup and the team suffers a big drop off when we got to the bench and Jarrett Jack's play is the main reason. If he ever finds his way and provides half the punch he was expected to provide we'd be fine.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  I think there's enough offensive in the starting lineup and the team suffers a big drop off when we got to the bench and Jarrett Jack's play is the main reason. If he ever finds his way and provides half the punch he was expected to provide we'd be fine.
                  Do you think the pressure for Jack to perform is alot higher than most others on the team? We woo'd him, everyone made a huge deal that he was the key piece this summer because it meant a greater chance in retaining Bosh. I just think the pressure to perform is making to try too hard. I think he needs to relax and let the game come to him. So far this season he's looked more of a rookie than DeMar does.

Comment

Jack's playing a different type of basketball than he has in the past - he used to try to get in the paint sometimes, but he was more of a floor general. Seemed like a solid, unspectacular leader. This year, they've asked him to be aggressive and he really hasn't seemed comfortable. Hoping it'll turn around, but he hasn't given me much to be confident about. Keep reminding myself it's early.

Now, Belinelli... I don't think he needs to start. He seems like an ideal guy to come off the bench. I really like having DeRozan out there with the starters, because a) he isn't asked to do too much and b) the plan is to have him be the starting 2 for years to come. I've been impressed with Belinelli's role lately, and he should continue to see significant minutes, but I don't see a reason to change the starting lineup. At least not yet.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                      Oakley made a somewhat obvious but still great point on the broadcast the other day:

How good your team becomes is decided by your starters, the bench is only there to give the starters a break.

Simple quote which is more or less true, and by that rationale a team has to put out its strongest five out there to start the game. Right now that means Belinelli's in, even though he seems like an ideal bench player give the standards we've come to expect of the second unit.

Look at Manu though. I mean, starters don't have to play the majority of minutes.

I am starting to think that it is not a bad idea starting Wright actually to help set the tone so we don't get called for fouls all game. Then DeRozan and Beli come in at the 2 and 3 as needed. Beli is playing well, getting his PT. Why mess it up?

Comment

Working...
                      X