We're not just beating bad teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not just beating bad teams

The Raptors have the 3rd best record in the NBA right now against winning teams at 13-7. Only better teams are the obvious two, Golden State and San Antonio. Next best after us is Chi-town at 13-10.

Last year we were not good against good teams at 15-21 in these same type of games.

It's a fair point. There's been some concerning losses, but also some very promising wins. We might have the 2nd best bench in the league in the last two months, and DeMar/Kyle have been very good. Healthy JV has also been impressive.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
      It's a fair point. There's been some concerning losses, but also some very promising wins. We might have the 2nd best bench in the league in the last two months, and DeMar/Kyle have been very good. Healthy JV has also been impressive.
      It's not just a "fair point" lol it's a fact...

If you're 13-7 against .500+ teams you're not just beating bad teams. I brought this up because in game threads I constantly see people trying to discredit the team's wins by pointing out that either A.) the other team sucks or B.) the other team has injuries.

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
        It is a fair point.

Raps had one of best records against the west last year as well.

People brought up these types of posts as affirmation that all was good and going to be good.

Well, the Raptors struggled after the hot start last year (24-7) to end the year playing .500.

I hope the Raptors are able to maintain what they have shown and improve upon it.

But to compare all of last season versus 1/2 of this season against winning teams is not the greatest of ideas to start a thread.

As everything always comes back to after 2 first round exits with home court advantage (and last year a painful sweep), lets see what happens come the playoffs....because nothing else really matters at this point.

Comment

yeah, we beat the clips without Griffin
          beat the heat without Dragic and Whiteside
          beat washington without Beal and Anderson
          beat charlotte without Jefferson and Lin
          beat Dallas with MAthews and PArsons on a minutes restrictions

Comment

Time to bring back the tank so we get into the 6th seed to vs Atlanta and beat them.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
              I think this is epitome of the searching for negatives. You literally listed Alan Anderson, an average player who hasn't played all season, missing a game as something that diminishes our win.

Plus, we beat the Clippers in LA when they had Griffin. Or let me guess, it was early in the season and the Clippers were struggling so it doesn't count?

And we beat the Heat when they were fully healthy and we were missing JV/Carroll.

And we had no JV/Carroll in the second Mavericks game.

Jesus christ.
              Last edited by Raptorsnz; Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                And won a huge chunk of our games without some combination of JV, Carroll and Ross.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We won those games with Casey coaching...I can use superlatives too!

Comment

And, not to state the obvious, but just winning a lot counts too. Sure, we beat the Nets a couple of times to fuel a win streak. Does that make it less valuable? Ask the Thunder if they would like either of those wins.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      It is a fair point.

Raps had one of best records against the west last year as well.

People brought up these types of posts as affirmation that all was good and going to be good.

Well, the Raptors struggled after the hot start last year (24-7) to end the year playing .500.

I hope the Raptors are able to maintain what they have shown and improve upon it.

But to compare all of last season versus 1/2 of this season against winning teams is not the greatest of ideas to start a thread.

As everything always comes back to after 2 first round exits with home court advantage (and last year a painful sweep), lets see what happens come the playoffs....because nothing else really matters at this point.
                      Not by the end of the year. They were only 16-14 vs. the west by the end of the season (33-19 vs. the east), not even in the top 1/3 of the league for record vs. the west. Tied with with the Wizards, ironically.

There is a long way to go, though. Every year at least a couple teams are night and day pre-All Star vs. post-All Star break. It's easy to trend in one direction or the other for half a season. Hopefully the Raps keep trending up. Beating winning teams is a good sign.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        And won a huge chunk of our games without some combination of JV, Carroll and Ross.
                        that is true.

But it doesnt discount that some of these teams we beat were hurt as well.

It puts persepective into the 13-7 thing.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                          I think this is epitome of the searching for negatives. You literally listed Alan Anderson, an average player who hasn't played all season, missing a game as something that diminishes our win.

Plus, we beat the Clippers in LA when they had Griffin. Or let me guess, it was early in the season and the Clippers were struggling so it doesn't count?

And we beat the Heat when they were fully healthy and we were missing JV/Carroll.

And we had no JV/Carroll in the second Mavericks game.

Jesus christ.
                          It isnt searching for negatives, its called perspective.

Comment

P.S. I would really like to beat the Bulls. So close last time. That team just seems to be on autopilot..until it's time to win.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Not by the end of the year. They were only 16-14 vs. the west by the end of the season (33-19 vs. the east), not even in the top 1/3 of the league for record vs. the west. Tied with with the Wizards, ironically.

There is a long way to go, though. Every year at least a couple teams are night and day pre-All Star vs. post-All Star break. It's easy to trend in one direction or the other for half a season. Hopefully the Raps keep trending up. Beating winning teams is a good sign.
                              I didn't do a good job explaining but "not by the end of the year" is what I meant. A lot of ball left to be played....and playoffs.

But like you I'm hoping Raps keep trending up and beating good teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X