No announcement yet.

All Star Weekend Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn I was close with that West by 20 prediction. Oh well, horseshoes and hand grenades, right?
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Bah, Gordon won that. Stupid judges. Oh, well. Great dunk contest.
      JWash wrote: View Post
      That dunk where he sat down in the air.... they should've just turned the lights out and called it a night after that, ridiculous.

AG got robbed.
      Axel wrote: View Post
      He got robbed of 1 point on 1 dunk in the first round.

Best dunker won.
      The thing is, all of Lavine's dunks were legit 50s too.

Gordon's double-pump was a sick dunk (especially in slow-mo), but did seem less "special" compared to what the judges already saw.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        The thing is, all of Lavine's dunks were legit 50s too.

Gordon's double-pump was a sick dunk (especially in slow-mo), but did seem less "special" compared to what the judges already saw.
        I guess. The first dunks between the two, Lavine did the same dunk as Gordon, except without the spinning assistant, and without the hand on the back of the head. But both got a 50.

The concept of a "legit 50", as though there is some threshold beyond which all dunks are equal, is the fallacy at play here. Gordon's sitting dunk deserved a higher score than any other dunk that night, regardless of whether they all got 50 or not.

Once I saw Lavine's dunk after that get an undeserved 50 (which even the commentators were surprised at, mostly), I knew it would just come down to attrition and it was basically a coin toss. Sure, he did a fairly cramped windmill free throw line dunk, but he had just done a free throw line alley oop, and would later do a better under-the-leg free throw line dunk. In that contest, surrounded by those other dunks, that's not a 50.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The sitting dunk should've won it. I would've given Gordon a 50 for a missed layup at that point, just to get some extra points on the board.

The fact his double pump got a 47 was ludicrous. When you watch the ball movement in slow mo its pretty incredible.

He got ripped off, especially when you look at a third variation of the same dunk get a 50

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
            The sitting dunk should've won it. I would've given Gordon a 50 for a missed layup at that point, just to get some extra points on the board.

The fact his double pump got a 47 was ludicrous. When you watch the ball movement in slow mo its pretty incredible.

He got ripped off, especially when you look at a third variation of the same dunk get a 50
            Without a doubt.

Rewatching that contest; looking at it dunk by dunk; literally no way Gordon should have lost. Literally no way. His dunks look even better in retrospect.

I think the thing that even makes the sitting dunk even better in retrospect is that the sheer high that he got on that would have given him a bronze medal in the Olympics.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

How should the sitting dunk have won it? It was a single dunk and it achieved top marks. The event isn't about who can do the single best dunk, it's about multiple dunks.

LaVine did 3 from the FT line, all with different variations to add to the degree of difficulty. The fact that he was able to do 3 variations of a dunk that typically scores 50 shouldn't be held against him. Yes, he was less creative but that doesn't make his dunks any less impressive. Have you seen any of his FT dunks before in NBA dunk contests? I don't remember any of those variations in years past, so while they aren't outside the box creative, they are still something we haven't seen and thus deserving of top marks.

LaVine should have won. Gordon had the dunk of the night. There is no award for the dunk of the night unfortunately.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

How should the sitting dunk have won it? It was a single dunk and it achieved top marks. The event isn't about who can do the single best dunk, it's about multiple dunks.

LaVine did 3 from the FT line, all with different variations to add to the degree of difficulty. The fact that he was able to do 3 variations of a dunk that typically scores 50 shouldn't be held against him. Yes, he was less creative but that doesn't make his dunks any less impressive. Have you seen any of his FT dunks before in NBA dunk contests? I don't remember any of those variations in years past, so while they aren't outside the box creative, they are still something we haven't seen and thus deserving of top marks.

LaVine should have won. Gordon had the dunk of the night. There is no award for the dunk of the night unfortunately.
                I didn't have that big an issue with the free throw line dunks, though I was disappointed because, yes, creativity is a huge factor in this - if he'd done the exact same dunk three times that dunk would have been equally difficult each time, doesn't change the fact that it would be a big let down. Similarly, he did three very, very similar dunks, and it was a let down. Especially compared to what his competitor was doing.

In any case, my issue is that LaVine's first finals dunk was clearly not 50 worthy, coming right after a much more difficult version of the same dunk from his competitor, so it should never have gotten to that dunk-off. The selfish part of me is glad it did, so I got to see more awesome dunks, but I still feel bad for Gordon who should have won in regulation.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Ah, the beauty of judged competitions, where subjectivity reigns supreme.

I still don't understand why any judged competition can be taken seriously (diving, synchronized swimming, gymnastics, etc.), where the difference between winning and losing largely depends on the judge's mood that day.

Comment

Shaq making up his own rules (i.e. knocking points for missing the first dunk attempt) was the best/worst.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                      I didn't have that big an issue with the free throw line dunks, though I was disappointed because, yes, creativity is a huge factor in this - if he'd done the exact same dunk three times that dunk would have been equally difficult each time, doesn't change the fact that it would be a big let down. Similarly, he did three very, very similar dunks, and it was a let down. Especially compared to what his competitor was doing.

In any case, my issue is that LaVine's first finals dunk was clearly not 50 worthy, coming right after a much more difficult version of the same dunk from his competitor, so it should never have gotten to that dunk-off. The selfish part of me is glad it did, so I got to see more awesome dunks, but I still feel bad for Gordon who should have won in regulation.
                      But taking off from the free throw line is considered an added degree of difficulty just as is taking the ball from a teammate (or mascot). So multiple dunks taking the ball from the mascot should receive the same amount of complaints as multiple dunks from the FT line. All different dunks but with repeated set ups.

Personally I think pretty much every LaVine and Gordon dunk was a 50 with the exception of Gordon's last dunk on the night, so I have no problem with LaVine taking home the crown.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Don't be obtuse, I'm not saying that the dunk should've ended the competition. I'm saying it was the most impressive dunk of the night from where i was sitting.

The issue I have is also what DanH points out, creativity is a big part of the dunk competition. Lavine got a 50 for a much less difficult/complicated dunk, with an identical concept, immediately following AG. When you give out a 50, you shouldn't give out another until something reaches that level or surpasses it. It's all relative to what's come before.

I completely disagree in that Lavine should not have won based off the dunks we got to see. In my mind it was at best equal at that point in time

Comment

Don't be obtuse, I'm not saying that the dunk should've ended the competition. I'm saying it was the most impressive dunk of the night from where i was sitting.

The issue I have is also what DanH points out, creativity is a big part of the dunk competition. Lavine got a 50 for a much less difficult/complicated dunk, with an identical concept, immediately following AG. When you give out a 50, you shouldn't give out another until something reaches that level or surpasses it. It's all relative to what's come before.

I completely disagree in that Lavine should not have won based off the dunks we got to see. In my mind it was at best equal at that point in time
                          I don't think it's being obtuse responding to the words that someone chose to write.

Regardless, I think the dunk contest should revamp slightly. First round should be 3 dunks each, with top 2 scoring averages to the finals (in case of tie, 3 Dunkers can go to finals).

Final round should be two dunks each, with the winner decided by best dunk of the finals, decided after all the dunks (so scrape the 50 points scoring system in the finals) by the judges voting for the best dunk.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Shaq making up his own rules (i.e. knocking points for missing the first dunk attempt) was the best/worst.
                            I actually thought that was the smartest thing I've ever heard him say.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              I actually thought that was the smartest thing I've ever heard him say.
                              Smarter than his Sac-town Queens, Vlade-how's-my-ass-taste rap?

Comment

Smarter than his Sac-town Queens, Vlade-how's-my-ass-taste rap?
                                Sorry - 2nd smartest.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X