What's JV's work ethic like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's JV's work ethic like?

Obviously it's not really possible to know this without knowing the guy personally. But why not speculate. I'm very high on Valanciunas but one thing does concern me in the "work ethic" department and that's his body. You see a lot of other young bigman prospects like Anthony Davis, Enes Kanter, etc really working hard to get more muscular while still maintaining a lean build and I don't think JV has done a good job of that. That could be down to the Raptors training staff, but I also think something like that is a personal endeavor/challenge as well (see Lowry for example). Wonder if JV is really putting in the right amount of work in this area.

I feel like if he got more cut it'd really help him be quicker and more agile and active on the offensive end. Obviously he doesn't get the ball enough, but that might actually making him sort of an "easier" target for DeMar and Lowry offensively. You see that happening with Bismack where even though he's not a great offensive player, his movement and activity on that end as well as athleticism sort of encourage guys to give him the ball more.

Just a thought, what do others think about this?

JWash wrote: View Post
    Obviously it's not really possible to know this without knowing the guy personally. But why not speculate. I'm very high on Valanciunas but one thing does concern me in the "work ethic" department and that's his body. You see a lot of other young bigman prospects like Anthony Davis, Enes Kanter, etc really working hard to get more muscular while still maintaining a lean build and I don't think JV has done a good job of that. That could be down to the Raptors training staff, but I also think something like that is a personal endeavor/challenge as well (see Lowry for example). Wonder if JV is really putting in the right amount of work in this area.

I feel like if he got more cut it'd really help him be quicker and more agile and active on the offensive end. Obviously he doesn't get the ball enough, but that might actually making him sort of an "easier" target for DeMar and Lowry offensively. You see that happening with Bismack where even though he's not a great offensive player, his movement and activity on that end as well as athleticism sort of encourage guys to give him the ball more.

Honestly?

There's never been an indication that he doesn't work as hard as any other player. Anthony Davis is just a ridiculous specimen, and I see no indication that anything Kanter has done has made him any better, so there's that.

The team asked him to bulk up to play down low. So pass him the fucking ball once in a while.

The only reason Bismack gets a few open dunks is because teams are so dramatically over-helping off of him. If they get burned on a couple plays, its fine, because the offence consists of literally nothing else besides ISO jumpshits.
    Last edited by KHD; Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:11 AM.

Comment

LOL @ lean build. We are talking about Jonas here. He's that guy who parties in Wasaga Beach on a cold April night.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

Biz is open because no defense gives a shit about him its that simple.using Kanter as an example isnt good because he weighs less than JV and is even slower at guarding pick and rolls
        Last edited by MACK11; Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:36 AM.
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

JV does need to get more mobile which would help his game a lot, I really dont know why the bulked up as much as he did
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
            JV does need to get more mobile which would help his game a lot, I really dont know why the bulked up as much as he did
            Because they asked him to.

Comment

they wanted to turn him into hibbert...they fucked his development a little. If he loses 10-15 pounds he can be mobile and still strong enough to body up the bigs.

Comment

WhatRhymesWithCash wrote: View Post
                they wanted to turn him into hibbert...they fucked his development a little. If he loses 10-15 pounds he can be mobile and still strong enough to body up the bigs.
                We're always a step behind. Followed the Hibbert verticality trend and now JV's too slow. We'll probably ask him to slim down just in time for low post bruisers to make a comeback.

Comment

Would be nice to cut 10-15 pounds. Unfortunately he is the slowest player on the court the majority of the time.

Comment

I see no evidence to be concerned about JV's work ethic.

Whether he should cut weight or not might not even be relevant, because we know it was the team who wanted him to bulk up, so unless they've changed their mind and he hasn't followed through, no reason to believe anything is outside of what was expected from him.

He has consistently been improving his skills and seems to be an effort guy on the court.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This thread is absolutely hilarious.

the answer, he has average work ethic. He isn't lazy, but he certainly isn't a gymrat.

"bulk" doesn't slow anyone down, "fat" does.

Nobody asked anyone to get fat.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        I see no evidence to be concerned about JV's work ethic.

Whether he should cut weight or not might not even be relevant, because we know it was the team who wanted him to bulk up, so unless they've changed their mind and he hasn't followed through, no reason to believe anything is outside of what was expected from him.

He has consistently been improving his skills and seems to be an effort guy on the court.
                        Yup. I agree

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Yup. I agree
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Personally, I don't think any change to his training is going to make a notable difference in his quickness. Blame his genes.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Personally, I don't think any change to his training is going to make a notable difference in his quickness. Blame his genes.
                              Damn. White people. I wear black clothes all the time.. in hopes to run faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X