Lebron is going to be Ben Simmon's agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebron is going to be Ben Simmon's agent

Something about this feels wrong on a few levels.... thoughts?

Ben Simmons plans to hire Klutch Sports for his pro representation.

Rich Paul of Klutch Sports will serve as Simmons' agent.

Klutch Sports is backed by LeBron James.

Simmons' older sister, Emily Bush, has been a marketing/branding employee of Klutch since 2014. She is based in Scottsdale, Ariz. Her hiring came shortly after James and Paul started recruiting Simmons as a potential future client.

Simmons will train in either Cleveland or Los Angeles in the predraft process, league sources said.

Simmons has openly discussed James' involvement in his life, telling Yahoo Sports' Marc Spears in December: "I just get a lot of advice from him. He's like a big brother to me.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ports-As-Agent

What's wrong with it? Remember, LeBron told everyone that he wants to be a billionaire. Business.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      What's wrong with it? Remember, LeBron told everyone that he wants to be a billionaire. Business.
      Power to LBJ wanting to join billionaire's club, but it could be interpreted as circumventing salary cap by using your influence as a top player to earn more off $$ other players' salaries (via agency commissions) beyond endorsements (e.g. Nike). How else does Tristan Thompson get slightly below the max for Jason Thompson/Ed Davis like production.

NBA probably turns a blind eye because the current salary cap system punishes superstars like Lebron and Curry and overpays 2nd/3rd tier guys.
      Last edited by golden; Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think in any way you shold be getting your beak wet off another players contract/endorsements etc whIle your still an active player. But to quote lebrons mentor jay z "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, mann". all the power to him.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
          Something about this feels wrong on a few levels.... thoughts?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ports-As-Agent
          At first glance it seems untoward but I don't really have an issue with it. The biggest problem would be Lebron using the influence to steer players away from certain teams and towards others or, in particular, the team he plays for or maybe trying to screw a competitor by having a client make outrageous demands. But, having said that, Lebron is just an employee who gets paid a salary - he has no fiduciary duty to the Cavs or the NBA and has no duty toward any other team. As long as the agency is representing their clients properly and within the rules then it's okay. If the clients think he not getting them the best deal but is using them for his own ends then they are free to walk and go somewhere else.

The entire sports agency business has to be the biggest rip off that athletes ever face.

Comment

Lets also not forget that Rich Paul already represents several other Players already ... how would this be any different?

Comment

The more you notice.

Technically, LeBron probably doesn't even touch the money he gets from Klutch. It more than likely goes back into the business.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

This can only mean one thing.

Cleveland is winning the lottery again.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

The only thing wrong with it is this:

Simmons has openly discussed James' involvement in his life, telling Yahoo Sports' Marc Spears in December: "I just get a lot of advice from him. He's like a big brother to me.
                  Lebron has never struck me as a great role model. And while it's hard to tell truth from a woven narrative, I trust Givony, and the character concerns raised in his recent piece don't suggest James has had a great influence so far.

Comment

All that matters is who can extract the most wealth for Simmons. If his camp thinks it's LeBron's firm then who cares?

Comment

Working...
                    X