Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even the Warriors Owner is an Arrogant Prick

From RealGM

The Golden State Warriors could break the all-time regular season wins record as they work to defend their title.

Joe Lacob believes the Warriors' results are a product of their master plan.

“The great, great venture capitalists who built company after company, that’s not an accident,” he said. “And none of this is an accident, either.”

Lacob believes the Warriors are playing in a more sophisticated way than the rest of the NBA.

“We’ve crushed them on the basketball court, and we’re going to for years because of the way we’ve built this team,” he said. But what really set the franchise apart, he said, was the way it operated as a business. “We’re light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we’re going to go about things,” he said. “We’re going to be a handful for the rest of the NBA to deal with for a long time.”

Lacob bought the Warriors in 2010 and used his experience in the world of venture capital to create the structure of the franchise.

“In venture capital, I started 70 companies,” he told me. “I also watched my partners’ deals, maybe 200 of them. That’s a lot of companies. I thought about the way we design a board of directors, the way we design the financing. There’s an architecture to it. And I started thinking about the architecture I would use when I owned and built my own team someday.”

It certainly helps to have a player of the caliber of Stephen Curry, but Lacob sees the success of one of the league's most transcendent players as part of the entire infrastructure.

“It’s not just Steph Curry,” said Lacob. “It’s architecting a team, a style of play, the way they all play together. It’s all extremely thought through.”
    The boastfulness and pride is on another level. Hope either OKC or San Antonio mops them up in the playoffs. Pride comes before a fall.

JWash wrote: View Post
    From RealGM

The boastfulness and pride is on another level. Hope either OKC or San Antonio mops them up in the playoffs. Pride comes before a fall.
    He's not wrong though...
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      He's not wrong though...
      He's completely wrong. In a roundabout way he's trying to say that Steph owes his success to Mr Venture Capitalist Boardroom Empire guy.

The Golden State Warriors are historically great because there's never been anything close to the off the bounce shooter that Steph Curry is in history. Period. The rest of that stuff helps, but his talent takes them from being another decent team to THIS
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        He's completely wrong. In a roundabout way he's trying to say that Steph owes his success to Mr Venture Capitalist Boardroom Empire guy.

The Golden State Warriors are historically great because there's never been anything close to the off the bounce shooter that Steph Curry is in history. Period. The rest of that stuff helps, but his talent takes them from being another decent team to THIS
        Won't speculate on what he's trying to say, cause everyone has their one interpretation. However my reading comprehension skills, which are no better or worse than yours, tell me he's comparing it to running a business. He "architected" the team, meaning he made a solid plan, found the right people to execute it and saw it through... Completely. Didn't try to change course on a dime like many teams try to do now. Was willing to stick with the plan through the bad times and put trust in the people he had hired. And, as in business, he counted on a bit of luck in the process f being successful.

He certainly came off arrogant, but he wasn't completely wrong.
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
          Won't speculate on what he's trying to say, cause everyone has their one interpretation. However my reading comprehension skills, which are no better or worse than yours, tell me he's comparing it to running a business. He "architected" the team, meaning he made a solid plan, found the right people to execute it and saw it through... Completely. Didn't try to change course on a dime like many teams try to do now. Was willing to stick with the plan through the bad times and put trust in the people he had hired. And, as in business, he counted on a bit of luck in the process f being successful.

He certainly came off arrogant, but he wasn't completely wrong.
          If RR has taught me anything, it's that this can happen
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            If RR has taught me anything, it's that this can happen
            Can it ever!! It takes a big person to put their ego aside and admit someone is right even when they're an asshole hahah

Comment

From RealGM

Its funny because he hit lightning in a bottle with Thompson and Curry performing WELL beyond their projections.

hahahhaa

These guys.... rich guys..... they crack me up

Comment

'Architecting a team' hehehe, most of us would say 'building', but whatever
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

the warriors have taken a step upward since the ownership change the right people where hired and people were let go when they served there usefulness such as mark jackson but luck played a part as well. stephs current contract is based on his frail ankles which are not the issue they once were, this enables the franchise to spend in other areas to strengthen while still having the mvp. A nice situation to be in and partly luck!!

Comment

From RealGM

I think you're too extreme here, big talk doesn't make him a prick. I don't know what he's like honestly but I can't make a judgement based on this alone. This was taken from an interview where he was asked about their success. He was also(I think) speaking to where he thinks his team is headed.

Are the Warriors full of themselves? Yes, including their star player. However, when you walk the walk I think you're entitled to talk the talk. I'd prefer it not to be so boastful but I think he's just proud of the accomplishments. When you consider the Warriors' history I'm sure the fans of the team love it.

If they lose now though expect everyone and their mother to rain crap down upon them and you know what? They'll deserve it. Talk it if you can walk it, I don't care then.

Comment

Honestly, this ownership was responsible in getting a proper GM who did the right thing in shipping out Ellis for a balanced, high IQ Bogut, and then trusted the right scouts to grab Klay, Draymond, Klay, H. Barnes, and IGGY from FA. Then they had the balls to fire Mark Jackson after the internal fiasco he was setting up and then get Kerr.

I think if Tim Leiwike owned the MLSE, he'd say something as "arrogant" and we'd cheer him for it
                      Last edited by tonious35; Fri Apr 1, 2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Having Jerry West on call also helps. Guy might be the best builder in the NBA.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Its funny because he hit lightning in a bottle with Thompson and Curry performing WELL beyond their projections.

hahahhaa

These guys.... rich guys..... they crack me up
                          Yep and you forgot about Draymond. They had no idea he'd be this good and they've admitted as much on podcasts. They didn't even think to start him until Lee got hurt. Steph's also on the best contract in the league because his ankles were a mess when he signed it.

Success and all the asskissing that comes with it gets to you after a while...so I've heard. I wouldn't know personally. That's why I'm a sarcastic ass on a internet fan forum

Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Without Curry they wouldn't be anything.
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Did this guy even own the team when they drafted Curry?
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                              X