Harvard swim team transgender member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard swim team transgender member

Saw this this evening on 60 MInutes. Quite the journey and insight. Might have to play around re the selection available to view the entire episode shown (w/Lesley Stahl).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/transgen...-right-choice/

this came up a while ago in mma. i think you should have to compete in birth sex or they create a couple new gender classes. here it is a woman going to a mans' sport and he is losing every race. if it was a man to a womans' sport she would have an unfair advantage.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      this came up a while ago in mma. i think you should have to compete in birth sex or they create a couple new gender classes. here it is a woman going to a mans' sport and he is losing every race. if it was a man to a womans' sport she would have an unfair advantage.
      In the case of a man to woman sport-switch you are right...there might be an unfair advantage. However I believe there is a testosterone test one can apply to determine eligibility. I am out of my depth here I admit and not entirely sure.

In this case however, she was a bit of a champ as a girl/woman and switched to her desired gender...male. And doing pretty badly as far as the competition goes among the male swimmers. So, as a she competing with girls she probably had a higher testosterone level and so did as well as she did.

It is just a human problem which is being brought to general attention lately and the complex layers of interaction involved in modern society. Imagine people with the same "condition" living in less tolerant societies.

Anyway, he is happy to be accepted as a he. And that is good.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        In the case of a man to woman sport-switch you are right...there might be an unfair advantage. However I believe there is a testosterone test one can apply to determine eligibility. I am out of my depth here I admit and not entirely sure.

In this case however, she was a bit of a champ as a girl/woman and switched to her desired gender...male. And doing pretty badly as far as the competition goes among the male swimmers. So, as a she competing with girls she probably had a higher testosterone level and so did as well as she did.

It is just a human problem which is being brought to general attention lately and the complex layers of interaction involved in modern society. Imagine people with the same "condition" living in less tolerant societies.

Anyway, he is happy to be accepted as a he. And that is good.
        the problem is precedent. once it is set the courts tend to rule that way. if it is allowed one way it has to be allowed the other way. imagine if brock lesnar wanted to compete as a woman and precedent had been set that that was acceptable.

the bolded is good, he should be accepted and he has every right to be happy. but in an area that will most likely evolve in the near future for olympics (wrestling/boxing) precedence needs to be set that will be followed for a long time.

Comment

Aren't wrestlers/MMAers in another category by themselves?

Yes, it's a whole new area for the vast majority and the first hurdle is acceptance. Lets face it even the simple acceptance of gay and lesbian is still not yet universal.

Comment

Working...
          X