4-Team Trade to Keep Bosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Team Trade to Keep Bosh

Since last season, I have been leaning more towards dealing Bosh away in a S&T, but now I have started thinking about scenarios that would improve the Raps and convince him to stay.

I came up with this 4-team monster trade that seems to make sense to me and wonder what some other thoughts out there are. It works according to the ESPN Trade Machine.

To TORONTO
    - Chris Paul
    - Corey Maggette

To NEW ORLEANS
    - Jose Calderon
    - Sonny Weems
    - Reggie Evans
    - Marcus Banks
    - TO's 1st Round Pick (after draft is done)
    - possibly another later 1st Round Pick (*see ADDENDUM below)

To DETROIT
    - Emeka Okafor

To GOLDEN STATE
    - Tayshaun Prince

NEW ORLEANS
    - get a young starting SG in Weems
    - get a veteran PG to replace Paul and mentor Collison (pay <$10M between the 2)
    - get another lottery draft pick in 2010 draft
    - possibly get a second later 1st-round pick in 2010 draft (*see ADDENDUM below)
    - get $9.5M in expiring contracts (Evans/Banks)
    - save total of $35M over the next 4 seasons (excluding player drafted with TO's pick)

DETROIT
    - exchanges Prince's contract for Okafor's contract, but trades a redundant position for a C which they have been lacking, who I think would be a great fit playing alongside Villaneuva
    - Toronto or Golden State could possibly include a 2nd-round pick and/or cash to improve offer to DET

GOLDEN STATE
    - essentially replaces Maggette with Prince, cutting 2 years off the length of the contract and saving a little over $16M overall

TORONTO
    - trades a redundant PG, redundant SG, 2 useless players and a lottery pick for an all-star PG and athletic swingman, which would address 2 big problem and hopefully entice Bosh to stay
    - without any other deals (other than re-signing Johnson), the rotation would look like this:
    - starting lineup: Bargnani, Bosh, Maggette, DeRozan, Paul
    - rotation players: Johnson, Turkoglu, Belinelli, Jack

I really like this deal for the Raps and think it would be enough to make Bosh stay in Toronto. I also think other teams could potentially be interested as well... thoughts??
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Apr 22, 2010, 01:21 PM.

ADDENDUM:

My only fear is that unloading 2 massive contracts to save money and getting Calderon, Weems and a 1st-round pick, may not be enough for New Orleans.

A thought I had, given MLSE's approval for Colangelo to spend more money, would be for the Raps to "buy" another later 1st-round pick, which could then be offered to New Orleans as well. Adding a second 1st-round pick might be enough to sweeten the pot.

Comment

Its not, it would murder basketball in NO and cause the fans to revolt. It's a significantly worse trade than what we got for Wince. He's the best point guard in the last 20 years, they are only giving him up if they get cheap talent in return and unload Emeka. Why they would want an expensive back up point guard is beyond me.

Valiant effort, but there are 28 other teams in the NBA who would offer a significantly better deal for Paul, I'm not sure that you could even Baron Davis for that.

Comment

I understand that not everybody would see the trade the same way I do, but there is no way it's worse than the VC trade. New Orleans would be getting 2 rotation players (possibly starters), 2 1-st round picks (1 being a lottery pick) and over $30M in savings! I wish we had gotten that much back for VC! lol

Comment

would be awesome for the raps, good for detroit and GSW, but the team who released the best player, gets the worst players in return. yikes. i think because of new york, memphis and lakers, all of our judgment on trades have been extremely clouded. those were flukes. not all teams would send gold to get garbage, at least i hope not, or else there's no point watching the games.

Hhhhmmm, but now thinking about the jamison trade, butler and haywood trade, and the signing of Hedo, man, anything can happen. Calgaryrapsfan, dont let me tell you how to dream! lets dream on!

Comment

Agreed that New Orleans gets the worst players in return but, for a team that is rebuilding, would 2 extra 1-st round picks (1 being lottery pick) to go along with their own lottery pick and unloading 2 massive contracts (saves $35M), be enough incentive? They could always turn around and use Calderon/Evans/Banks as bait in other trades, too.

I guess it depends how much New Orleans values 1-st round picks in this year's draft and how important unloading Okafor (and saving $35M cash) is to them...

Comment

So we give up a PG that can't play defense, Sonny Weems, and 2 expiring contracts for... Chris Paul?! Sorry man, no matter how way you swing this, New Orleans won't bite.

Comment

I think you've undervalued 2 first-round picks and shedding $35M in salary over the next 4 seasons that NO would receive. I'm not saying they go for it, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable either.

Comment

Yes, but then you've severely undervalued Chris Paul. I'm almost 100% positive that if they were looking to trade Chris Paul, they could get more than 2 draft picks and $35 mil in cap relief. We're talking about the best PG of the decade and he's still got plenty of room to improve.

Comment

That's fair. I'm not saying it's the best deal they can get, I just put it out there as a potential deal that could work for all 4 teams.

The value of Calderon/Weems can be debated, but I don't know many other teams that could offer New Orleans 2 legit rotation players + 2 first-round picks (1 being a lottery, the other having to be got in another deal) + take Okafor contract, without giving at least 1 bad big/long-term contract back in return (Evans/Banks are expiring).

Comment

I think as Raps fan we often wear the rose-coloured glasses.
                      All the players on our team seem better than they are.
                      But hey, Pau Gasol went to the Lakers for nothing (sure his brother has panned out, but c'mon that trade was so lopsided) so you never know.
                      i would LOVE a chris paul on our team!

Comment

Jose Calderon is a legit rotation player, but also has a bad 3 year contract. 30 million over 3 years for a point guard who hasn't shown the ability to start and stay healthy for an entire season is expensive. Okafor is also a legit rotation player (and a legit starting centre). Okafor guarantees a double double in 32 minutes, plays solid defense, and has been healthy for the last 3 seasons. In terms of centre contracts, his is not that bad.

Comment

Your heads in a good place, but if NO made that trade, it would get protested and then vetoed like if it was fantasy.

GS could offer Monte, Anthony Randolph and Biedrins and for Paul and Emeka. If NO is trading Paul, they are either straight rebuilding with a top level prospect think at least as good as Curry or not taking on any big, long term contracts. No trade that sees Paul leave will also see Jose arrive, it is inconceivable.

If anything NO will wait for the lottery to be settled and then trade Paul for the number two pick, take Evans and build around Collison, Thorton and Evans.

Comment

NO would never ever do that.

Comment

Working...
                            X