Curt Schilling - sports commentator or a socio political one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curt Schilling - sports commentator or a socio political one

Seems that Schilling cannot control his urges on twitter and other social media outlets

Oh, that Curt Schilling. If he didn’t exist, someone would have to create him specifically for this time in our cultural history.

Has there been a more perfect match than this: the man who cannot stop himself from sharing his most recent repulsive opinion and the gift of a vast technological receptacle that can gather his thoughts and disseminate them to every single one of us?

Had Schilling been born 30 years earlier, he would have been relegated to rants over his cereal bowl at the breakfast table, his audience the very few people on Earth who share his last name. Lucky for them, they could have gotten up and left for school or work.

Now, using the megaphone that is part of everyone’s internet package, dear sweet Curt can reach all of us, whether we want to hear it or not.

I think we can safely say that most of us lean toward “or not.” Even if you agree with his longings for a time that doesn’t exist anymore in this country — thoughts that I and many others find appalling, insensitive, nasty and/or downright immature, depending on his subject — Schilling has a day job, and that’s as a baseball announcer.

So here’s my question: Why does a cable television baseball analyst believe anyone wants to hear anything he has to say beyond what’s up with someone’s slider?

And, the logical corollary: Why does he still have a job as a cable television baseball analyst?
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nder/83302426/

In many ways baseball tends to be dinosaurial but I have a feeling they might have something to say about this. Espn the lapdog to the sports leagues obviously do not have a spine of their own until they are told to jump or kneel.

i don't use twitter but don't you have to follow someone to "hear" them. then later when other people are complaining about it purposely read it yourself?

wasn't he fired by an actual sports broadcasting because he said his views on their airwaves?

as long as he uses his own personal accounts and states his own personal opinion it should be all good.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      i don't use twitter but don't you have to follow someone to "hear" them. then later when other people are complaining about it purposely read it yourself?

wasn't he fired by an actual sports broadcasting because he said his views on their airwaves?

as long as he uses his own personal accounts and states his own personal opinion it should be all good.
      I dont use Twitter either...I think it's a waste of time actually. I can get all of my worthwhile news fast enough the old fashioned way thanks.

As I understand it the "freedom of speech" laws in the US (the 1st Amendment) really only applies to interactions with the government...and not private corporations. Hence, in a situation like this if ESPN believes Schilling is a detriment to their company by making certain public statements...even in his spare time, he can be fired.

As a matter of fact this hasnt been the first time for CS & Espn...and they may even have a contract clause re him blowing off about his personal views in a public way. ESPN like other large companies have a brand to protect. It's profits & business...its that simple.

For a better understanding of the issue see the following links...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/sp...d-by-espn.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123024596

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        I dont use Twitter either...I think it's a waste of time actually. I can get all of my worthwhile news fast enough the old fashioned way thanks.

As I understand it the "freedom of speech" laws in the US (the 1st Amendment) really only applies to interactions with the government...and not private corporations. Hence, in a situation like this if ESPN believes Schilling is a detriment to their company by making certain public statements...even in his spare time, he can be fired.

As a matter of fact this hasnt been the first time for CS & Espn...and they may even have a contract clause re him blowing off about his personal views in a public way. ESPN like other large companies have a brand to protect. It's profits & business...its that simple.

For a better understanding of the issue see the following links...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/sp...d-by-espn.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123024596
        yeah, i am pretty sure that without an ethics clause in his contract his firing will come with some type of compensation.

i was speaking on how i view the situation. if i were espn, i would separate myself from the issue by explaining those aren't the views of the network. that said, personally i don't care what he says.

Comment

In America they have more free speech than Canada. If they fire him without severance or low ball him he could sue them.

Comment

I remember a time when athlete's didn't want to talk about anything outside of their sport. Now it seems everyone wants to share their opinions about everything.

Retired guys are the worst. Just because you have a platform to talk about sports, doesn't mean you should use it to talk about anything and everything you feel like.

Good riddance.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think that's a society thing. Everyone has three or four platforms. This is the age of extreme sensitivity and insensitivity.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/m...235308910.html

Schilling responds. I am not sure if the cases he is pointing to are real or not but if they are it is a pretty big double standard. Might force ESPN to make sure none of their broadcasters roam away from sports.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/m...235308910.html

Schilling responds. I am not sure if the cases he is pointing to are real or not but if they are it is a pretty big double standard. Might force ESPN to make sure none of their broadcasters roam away from sports.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk
                  His examples are real I believe but not entirely comparable. He also leaves out the ever important context that some of the example comments he cites were made under. Curt's problem essentially is that he is a serial abuser of the compact he and other employees have with Espn. Both SA Smith & Kornheiser have been suspended before as well as has Schilling. Schilling however continues publicizing his political views and seems to believe he has the right to continue while being employed at Espn. I dont know that the others do/feel the same.

Another take:

http://deadspin.com/curt-schilling-e...-sp-1773582081

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    His examples are real I believe but not entirely comparable. He also leaves out the ever important context that some of the example comments he cites were made under. Curt's problem essentially is that he is a serial abuser of the compact he and other employees have with Espn. Both SA Smith & Kornheiser have been suspended before as well as has Schilling. Schilling however continues publicizing his political views and seems to believe he has the right to continue while being employed at Espn. I dont know that the others do/feel the same.

Another take:

http://deadspin.com/curt-schilling-e...-sp-1773582081
                    Wait. You're telling me that Gawker-owned Deadspin doesn't agree with Schilling? Shocking.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      Wait. You're telling me that Gawker-owned Deadspin doesn't agree with Schilling? Shocking.
                      Hah. No. But was there anything specific in the link factually untrue? It wasn't all opinion....which Curt was spinning as fact and comparable to his forays on Twitter & Facebook.

A contrarian position as well provides rebuttal. To those who may follow this subject and a bit fuzzy on the details, can make up their minds reading about opposing viewpoints. Breitbart isn't the only outlet on the web.

Comment

Working...
                      X