Fort McMurray fire and losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort McMurray fire and losses

There has been devastating personal losses for thousands in Fort McMurray. Families have lost entire homes and all that goes with such. If you can please visit the following site and try to assist. Thanks.

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action...paign.id=50639

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

This can also be an informative moment. It is not just areas in Alberta threatened by the conditions which contributed to the inferno but large areas in British Columbia are currently facing similar events. There are like areas in the US (eg California) which are or soon (summer) will be threatened.

Important question: How much does climate change have to do with it? ....and why we should take it seriously.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...d_to_talk.html

I lived there for four years when I came out of university. You couldn't beat the opportunities and pay up there. Anyway, both the place I rented when I first got there and then the house I had bought and subsequently sold when I moved on have both burned to the ground. I mean I don't know with certainty but judging by the maps I've been seeing it's all gone in those neighbourhoods or in the process of going.

Our friends may all lose their homes. One couple is headed back to their old home of Nova Scotia. They have no clue what they'll do.

I have family friends who were living there. Their homes and personal belongings are all gone. One thing many people aren't talking about is all the businesses which create many, many jobs up there. Yeah, well the places these couples worked for are also gone so it's doubly horrible for many. The actual oil sands are safe right now and I'd imagine the military will be greatly involved if it comes close to there. That cannot be allowed to fall, it would be catastrophic. I don't think it will come close though. The first site is Suncor and that's a 20-25min highway drive north of the city.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I lived there for four years when I came out of university. You couldn't beat the opportunities and pay up there. Anyway, both the place I rented when I first got there and then the house I had bought and subsequently sold when I moved on have both burned to the ground. I mean I don't know with certainty but judging by the maps I've been seeing it's all gone in those neighbourhoods or in the process of going.

Our friends may all lose their homes. One couple is headed back to their old home of Nova Scotia. They have no clue what they'll do.

I have family friends who were living there. Their homes and personal belongings are all gone. One thing many people aren't talking about is all the businesses which create many, many jobs up there. Yeah, well the places these couples worked for are also gone so it's doubly horrible for many. The actual oil sands are safe right now and I'd imagine the military will be greatly involved if it comes close to there. That cannot be allowed to fall, it would be catastrophic. I don't think it will come close though. The first site is Suncor and that's a 20-25min highway drive north of the city.
      That's really unfortunate. It is quite amazing that no one (other than in a traffic accident I read) lost their lives. The losses are still quite palpable and hopefully all sectors come together to help those affected financially.

I also heard the business section of town including oil company offices are not threatened...so that's good from the jobs viewpoint.

Comment

There is an industrial park that supports the oil sands which has been wiped out. It's made its way down to the river. I'm not sure what the status is today but for example crews were fighting the fire at the hospital. There are schools and a college in close proximity to that. Hotels, resteraunts, grocery stores, clothing stores, a Walmart, all sorts of stuff nearby that.

Comment

I'm hearing that it is currently raining in Fort Mac.

Comment

I'm hearing that it is currently raining in Fort Mac.
            It's been much cooler out here the last couple of days with some rain and someone was saying it may even snow later this week! We haven't had snow in, well, months. Good ol' El Nino. Bringer of awesome winters and enabler of even more devastating forest fires than usual.....

An old colleague of mine has been living out of his company's plant up there with rest of the management team. They are apparently okay but he wrote to me this morning to the effect that the emergency guys who have been checking in on them said whole parts of the city have burned down. Lots of bad news to come I imagine.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              It's been much cooler out here the last couple of days with some rain and someone was saying it may even snow later this week! We haven't had snow in, well, months. Good ol' El Nino. Bringer of awesome winters and enabler of even more devastating forest fires than usual.....

An old colleague of mine has been living out of his company's plant up there with rest of the management team. They are apparently okay but he wrote to me this morning to the effect that the emergency guys who have been checking in on them said whole parts of the city have burned down. Lots of bad news to come I imagine.
              Never an opportunity missed to slam the realities of climate change.

Snow? That would be practically a good thing. But who was the source....a medicine man? The local weather (science based) prognosticators think it's going to be very balmy over the the next 2 weeks.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/.../fort-mcmurray

btw...El Nino/El Nina in of themselves do not create the conditions as being experienced. And no singular weather event is evidence of anything.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                Snow? That would be practically a good thing. But who was the source....a medicine man? The local weather (science based) prognosticators think it's going to be very balmy over the the next 2 weeks.
                Slaw is in Calgary dude. We definitely have snow forecast for later this week.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Slaw is in Calgary dude. We definitely have snow forecast for later this week.
                  Yes I know he is.

Comment

Calgary has crazy weather. A couple years ago I built a fairly big snowman with my daughter in early September.

The apples on my tree in the backyard were still ripe. The snow melted and I had to mow the lawn one more time...haha

Comment

Calgary has crazy weather. A couple years ago I built a fairly big snowman with my daughter in early September.

The apples on my tree in the backyard were still ripe. The snow melted and I had to mow the lawn one more time...haha
                      I remember this pic well....as a matter of fact was this not the genesis of the whole discussion on climate change?

What you describe is of course the Chinook winds phenomena which occurs mostly in Southern Alberta. The Rockies play a part too. As I understand it this can offer both a warming effect as well as cooling/snow (depending on any arctic air hovering around)...but as you mentioned is a fairly temporary condition. I don't believe this has anything to do with climate change...meaning the effect of the Chinook (warm or cold) should not be confused with the real causes of man made climate change.

Comment

Yeah, everyone from Calgary knows what a Chinook is. Perhaps you can lecture on glacier formations next as I've only heard that explanation about a million times during my Rockies travelling. You know anything about the rodeo? How about good parking spots downtown? Maybe you can tell me where my socks keep disappearing in the dryer?

Oh and make sure you're really condescending. I love that. We all do.
                        Last edited by Apollo; Wed May 11, 2016, 01:31 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Yeah, everyone from Calgary knows what a Chinook is. Perhaps you can lecture on glacier formations next as I've only heard that explanation about a million times during my Rockies travelling. You know anything about the rodeo? How about good parking spots downtown? Maybe you can tell me where my socks keep disappearing in the dryer?

Oh and make sure you're really condescending. I love that. We all do.
                          Excuse me...how was I condescending? Why would I "like" your previous post if I had such intentions? If ever I am it is only with those who fire first and typically come from those who do not like an opposing view.

Any explanation of the Chinook I provided was just that and nothing directed at you but rather in the context of a previous post making a comment about snow in the context of climate change (warming).

Comment

My mistake. Sorry.

Comment

People returning (allowed back) to their homes in Fort McMurray. Must be a tough time.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30216735/

Comment

Working...
                              X