• Barolt wrote: View Post

Whiteside? lol
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• david west

Comment

• The Red Rocket is coming home

edit: Matt Bonner for those of you too young to remember
        Last edited by Jclaw; Mon Jun 27, 2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Damn.

Now I have nothing.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Pau Gasol

Comment

• I think 'unnamed player' might be Bismack. That list makes a lot sense for him.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• As Is Depth Chart (Committed Contracts + DD’s Cap Hold + 9th and 27th Rookie Salaries)= ~88M$ vs a Projected Cap of 94M$

Centre: JV, Bebe, Poeltl
                Power Fwd: PPat, Siakam
                Small Fwd: Demare, Bruno
                Shooting Guard: Demar, Ross, Powell
                Point Guard: Kyle, CoJo, Wright

Assumptions
                1) DD and his cap hold stays on the books till we use our 6M of Cap Space
                2) Raps sign both Draft Choices for 120%
                3) Raps renounce Scola / Jason Thompson / JJ
                4) We don't make a trade with the design point of dumping salary to create cap space.
                5) It may be possible to generate another 3M in cap space by delaying signing the draft picks as the NBA allows teams to sign their picks even if we are over the cap limit ---anyone know for sure ? -- Getting No's to this

Holes to fill
                Crazily enough just what they were prior to the draft ..

a. A PF capable of starting or providing 15-18 minutes a night of better than average 3 point shooting .. will live with other shortcomings.
                b. A bigger backup SF to serve as backup for Demarre Carroll

Available Monetary Only Options to Acquire Players to fill the Holes.
                1) 6 M of Cap Space for a UFA or RFA offer sheet depending on assumption 5 being true
                2) 5.7 for the MLE for a Veteran Player
                3) 2.5M for the Bi Annual Exemption

A few thoughts on who might fill those holes using the available monetary options.
                PF – Mirza Teltovic (MLE), Donatas Motiejunas (Cap Space), Darrell Arthur (MLE),
                SF – Jared Dudley (MLE), Solomon Hill (Cap Space) , JJ (Bi Annual Exception)

As always open to comments and other options ...
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 27, 2016, 02:57 PM.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• Horford could be the guy. Even with LMA, they could have both guys start in SAS. Horford also knows their system from playing under Bud.

He'll also want to go to contenders, and Knicks are only team that doesn't fit that very well. But it's New York, and he's also openly talked about wanting to play somewhere with a bigger Hispanic population.

Watch it be someone more random though. Like Jon Leuer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    5) It may be possible to generate another 3M in cap space by delaying signing the draft picks as the NBA allows teams to sign their picks even if we are over the cap limit ---anyone know for sure ?
                    The rookies generate their own cap holds, so no.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Horford could be the guy. Even with LMA, they could have both guys start in SAS. Horford also knows their system from playing under Bud.

He'll also want to go to contenders, and Knicks are only team that doesn't fit that very well. But it's New York, and he's also openly talked about wanting to play somewhere with a bigger Hispanic population.

Watch it be someone more random though. Like Jon Leuer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                      I don't think it's Horford, just because I think he would've put Atlanta on his list.

Comment

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post
                        Barolt wrote: View Post

Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                          The rookies generate their own cap holds, so no.
                          This. Unsigned rookies do not have a salary value for matching in trades, but they do have a cap hold of their rookie scale level. Now, that's only base level, not the 120% that the contract will eventually be.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                            The analytical beast! The guy makes JV look like bargnani.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              The Red Rocket is coming home

edit: Matt Bonner for those of you too young to remember
                              That's who I was thinking of as well.

Comment

• There are plenty of guys who can fill the backup SF slot for reasonable expense given our personnel - bringing JJ back for something in the $2-5m would work just fine. If not JJ, then Quincy Acy, or Marcus Thornton, or Hollis Thompson, or Alan Anderson, or E'Twaun Moore, or Lance Thomas. There are a few other players who will all also work just fine, and worst-case we can always sign DeAndre Daniels to a second-round player's minimum contract. Backup wing is relatively easy.

It's the power forward slot that's the trouble. There are a lot of good options who would work there perfectly: Marvin Williams and Darrell Arthur are the two most obvious, but their pricetags are going to start at $10m a year. On a smaller deal, Dwight Powell, Trevor Booker and Andrew Nicholson could all be answers, although none is perfect (Powell is the best defender but has no real range to speak of, Booker's shooting from outside is weaker than one would like and Nicholson isn't entirely proven as a starter, to say the least) but all will likely be more expensive than the $6m/year we have in cap space and thus won't fit in the MLE either.

(One of the reasons I wanted us to draft Domantas Sabonis was that a backup center would be cheaper than a starting power forward, and Casey's comments aside, I don't think Poeltl (who I like well enough) can really play power forward in this league. I think Sabonis can do that, and do it right now. But the past is past, etc.)

One of the reasons I advocate for trading Terrence Ross, despite him being the team's best shooter, is that his $10m in salary space opens up a lot of options. When you trade Ross, you create the space to get a power forward who really moves the needle - not a star, but a quality four who can stretch the floor like Williams or Arthur do - and then have money and exceptions left over to sign the extra backup wing/guard you need to replace Ross. I would rather have 2-3 .360+ three-point shooters than one .400 three-point shooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X