The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shantz wrote: View Post
    Bobby Marks of The Vertical released his list of the best available free agents by position this morning. Here is his Power Forward rankings:
    This list sucks. Scola is the fifth best PF available? Really? Did he watch Scola last year or was the last time he saw the guy play five years ago?

Jordan Hill would be a good target. Maybe Jones. I liked JT but he's bench filler, better than Scola though.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      This list sucks. Scola is the fifth best PF available? Really? Did he watch Scola last year or was the last time he saw the guy play five years ago?

Jordan Hill would be a good target. Maybe Jones. I liked JT but he's bench filler, better than Scola though.
      It's an unranked list.....

Comment

• Marreese Speights

Comment

wasn't it just listing everyone not in any particular order...

Comment

What about Thomas Robinson?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              I'd rather take the gamble Poeltl or Siakam can play PF right away, with JJ back as insurance, than hope that McBob could be a positive contributor again.
              We get no medals for holding on to a 5.6 MLE or the 5.7 in cap money....we are going to spend it anyway..
              It's not up to us..Miami has to want to do it by way of giving wade more money and having to deal him out a la Diaw..
              Still there are options out there...

Jones..not sure what he takes or if he wants to sign here
              Nene..a back up C
              Bass...more Mcbob
              Sleights is interesting...can play the 4 as he has range..no speed though
              Derrick Williams on a one year deal ?
              The Hump ?
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                Bobby Marks of The Vertical released his list of the best available free agents by position this morning. Here is his Power Forward rankings:
                It's unranked, according to the link.

There are still some good targets on that list, and also on the center list.

Also, Mo Harkless on his SF list to my eyes is more of a small ball 4. Not a shooter but able to defend 3 positions.Not sure if Portland would match, but I like him as a bench player.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  wasn't it just listing everyone not in any particular order...
                  slaw wrote: View Post
                  It's an unranked list.....
                  Typically when someone says "ranking" it implies that it is ordered. That's what ranking means. I didn't click the link, and I was responding to the post.

Comment

• Meyer Leonard would be a nice cheap pick up. Shoot 38 percent from 3 last 2 years. Runs extremely well for a footer.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• My Ranking:

Donatas Motiejunas, restricted
                      Terrence Jones
                      Meyers Leonard, restricted
                      Marreese Speights
                      Jason Thompson
                      Derrick Williams
                      Josh Smith

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Meyer Leonard would be a nice cheap pick up. Shoot 38 percent from 3 last 2 years. Runs extremely well for a footer.
                        He's a bit of a sieve defensively, but as a backup to Patterson he'd be a decent option.

We'll see how cheap he is - he is a RFA, and unless POR has to renounce him to fit free agents (they might, I don't know their cap situation very well), they probably match an MLE offer.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          People who don't break down game film (in other words all of us) really can't fully appreciate Lowry's defense. He's smart. I remember posting a couple of examples from Zach Lowe and Vantage last year.

One in particular stands out in my memory where Nene in the high post made a nifty pass to Gortat cutting along the baseline. Lowry sniffed it out and had stepped in front of Gortat, forcing him to kick out the ball. A shot went up from the perimeter, and there was Lowry boxing out Gortat - we ended up getting the rebound.
                          Best example I can remember off hand was from Game 3 in the ECF. I actually posted it in the Lowry thread after it happened but I'll repost it here as well.

When the Raptors did get a stop almost seven minutes later, it was with DeMarre Carroll guarding James, Patterson guarding Jefferson and Biyombo guarding Frye in the corner — a combination better suited to contain their action. However, Kyle Lowry played the biggest role in blowing it up since his activity allowed his teammates to stay in position and cut off each of Cleveland’s options.

First, Lowry dropped back to the restricted area to prevent Jefferson from cutting to the basket. That took away the go-to option for the Cavaliers by allowing Patterson to follow Jefferson with a buffer. Then, Lowry chased Kyrie Irving out to the 3-point line and pressured him enough to take away the pick-and-roll option. That allowed Carroll to be physical with James and obstruct his vision. Lowry also recovered quickly to avoid getting beat backdoor, which would’ve resulted in an uncontested layup.

The Cavaliers had to freelance from there by running a pick-and-pop between Irving and Frye on the left wing, which ended in a miss. Biyombo switched onto Irving and Lowry did just enough to deter Frye from posting him up and forced him into a contested jump shot.

The Cavaliers struggled from that point on. After scoring 27 points in the opening seven minutes of the quarter, they scored just three points on 1-10 shooting in the final four minutes. More importantly for the Raptors — and rather surprisingly given it’s success — the Cavaliers didn’t run “Horns Rub” again thanks to Lowry’s hustle and perseverance on that one play. It may get buried because Lowry stole the show offensively with a game-high 35 points, but it was just another example of Toronto’s best player showing up when they needed him most.
                          http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2016/05/...lowry-defense/
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Nene would be a full time job for McKechnie, but still somewhat effective when healthy. Low cost option?
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Typically when someone says "ranking" it implies that it is ordered. That's what ranking means. I didn't click the link, and I was responding to the post.
                              Apologies. I misread the Tweet where I got the link.
                              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Meyer Leonard would be a nice cheap pick up. Shoot 38 percent from 3 last 2 years. Runs extremely well for a footer.
                                Every time I hear Leonard's name I remember the poster on RealGM who swore that Leonard would be way better than JV and JV would be out of the league after his rookie deal....

As for other options, can it please not be Speights? I don't like that guy. Something about the way he runs and shoots and celebrates and looks just pisses me off. I don't want to have to cheer for him.....

Comment

Working...
                                X