Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Larry Bird was running this team, a coaching change is imminent

Comment

• Bring Pau Gasol in for one season to start at PF. He looked great last season and hopefully he's got one more season left in those old bones. Can't be any worse than Scola after the wheels came off mid-season.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Bring Pau Gasol in for one season to start at PF. He looked great last season and hopefully he's got one more season left in those old bones. Can't be any worse than Scola after the wheels came off mid-season.
        I don't know.. I was thinking about Gasol during the deadline last year. He and Bynum worked well in LA, but Pao is older and likes to play more center now. If he was okay coming off the bench in Toronto as our backup C, then that would be a great pick up. But if he wants to start, then I don't really think it would work out too well.

Comment

• I think the trick to looking at this offseason is to realistically assess what's available for your remaining roster slots, based on who you really want to keep around and who you're willing to lose. I suspect for most people who want to bring DeMar back, the slots look like

Lowry/CoJo/_____
          DeMar/Powell/_____
          DeMarre/_____/_____
          _____/2Pat/_____
          Jonas/_____/_____

That's a total salary + cap hold position of $72.8m, including the cap holds for our draft picks. So there's a decent - but not enormous - amount of room left, assuming we plan to resign DeMar.

Currently, between the combinations of Bird rights and other players, we've got all those slots filled, but assuming we let some free agents walk and trade some younger players to consolidate more talent on the Raptors roster, this is your starting position.

Okay, so, as a thought experiment, one way this can progress:

Starting total salary (with cap holds) for next season is $101.5m on a salary cap of $92m.

Renounce cap holds on Bismack, JJ and Scola: savings of $10.5m, $91m in salary and cap holds remaining.

Trade Ross, Delon Wright and the #9 pick to move up in the draft for Jamal Murray. (Say the trade is with New Orleans.) We increase the cap hold for Murray (from $2.2m to $2.8m) but lose Ross and Wright's salaries ($11.6m) so the net is an $11m drop in salary - we're at $80m with cap holds remaining. Murray takes the "third scoring guard" slot, and that's fine; he'll likely be sharing "backup SG" duties with Powell in any event and getting solid minutes.

Draft Thon Maker at #27. Or any other big still available there that Masai likes. Maybe you move up a little by trading, say, #27 and the rights to DeAndre Daniels. It's not terribly important who we pick here; I just want a rookie big for the "third center" slot, they can spend the entire league in the 905 for all I care.

Free agency:

- Sign Dwight Powell on a CoJo-style deal (3-4 years, $6-9m). This is to fill the "starting power forward" slot. Jon Leuer or Darrell Arthur could both take this slot as well - you need a power forward who does a lot of what you need (defense, rebounding, paint scoring, ideally some distance shooting) for ideally less than $10m, so forget the Al Horfords of the world. Marvin Williams is arguably the best option here but I doubt we could get him for less than $12m given how good he was this year in Charlotte; he got $7m this year and will be looking for a big raise.

- Sign Quincy Acy on a midlevel exception deal ($6m, 2-3 years) to avoid cap issues. This is the "backup small forward" slot. Could also be Courtney Lee, but Lee is the same issue as Williams - had a great year in Charlotte, will be looking for a raise. Jared Dudley might also work here. Again, what you want out of this slot is solid defense and decent three-point shooting and everything else is gravy.

- Resign Jason Thompson on a vet min deal to avoid cap issues ($1.5m, 2-3 years). This is the "third power forward" slot and really, Thompson is fine for this. You want a veteran or two around to keep the kids calm and Thompson should be able to do it. David West would probably be a better option but he's not leaving San Antonio for what's likely a slightly worse chance at the ring he craves. David Lee could work too; you don't need your third power forward to do anything other than rebound and score a little.

- Resign Nando Del Colo since we still have his Bird rights (say $3m, 2-3 years). This is the "third point guard" slot. There are a few options here other than Del Colo, but most of the ones that are sexy (say, Jeremy Lin) will want more minutes than are realistically available for this player slot. Seth Curry might be a good alternate option, or possibly E'Twaun Moore.

Then you max DeMar, or as far away from max as you can get while he's still willing to re-sign here (maybe he takes a small haircut if he really wants to keep playing in Toronto and help the team, but it'll be a $1-2m haircut per year at most on a five year deal).

Lowry/CoJo/De Colo
          DeMar/Powell/Murray
          DeMarre/Acy/Bruno
          Powell/2Pat/Thompson
          Jonas/Bebe/Maker

--

This isn't a firm plan, because what's the point of that? This is just one way of looking at how we build our 2016/17 roster; a sort of moneyball approach, since we don't have a lot of spare cash, and looking for players who provide what we need to produce with the remaining roster slots - and hopefully excel beyond that. Right now we actually have an abundance of trade assets; they can't get us a superstar, but maybe they can get us what we need.

Comment

• Dwight Powell is an RFA and had a good underrated season. Would be surprised if Dallas didn't match any offer for him.. especially one that's in the $6-9M range.

Best way to use Ross' contract is in a trade and not to free up cap space to chase a free agent. Since Ross' contract is worth $10M after July 1... the Raptors can take back up to $15M in salary back.

$15M in a trade I think is worth far more than $10M in free agency.. especially this summer. Only time I think it would be worthwhile to trade Ross for cap space is if we plan to bring BB back.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Dwight Powell is an RFA and had a good underrated season. Would be surprised if Dallas didn't match any offer for him.. especially one that's in the $6-9M range.

Best way to use Ross' contract is in a trade and not to free up cap space to chase a free agent. Since Ross' contract is worth $10M after July 1... the Raptors can take back up to $15M in salary back.

$15M in a trade I think is worth far more than $10M in free agency.. especially this summer. Only time I think it would be worthwhile to trade Ross for cap space is if we plan to bring BB back.
              Ross can bring back 12.6m in a trade, not 15m.

It's 125% +100k.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

It's 125% +100k.
                http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

Comment

It's 125% +100k.
                  No the 125% + 100k is for tax paying teams, we're not in the luxury tax.

Comment

It's 125% +100k.
                    Not anymore, not for 5 years.

It's 125% for trades for a) tax teams or b) trades with total outgoing salaries over 20M. Between 10-15 M you can bring back 5M excess. Below 10M you get 150%.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Right, I read that wrong. My bad.

Comment

• BB tells Andrew Walker of the FAN590 that he expects to be back as a raptor and that he is willing to take a home town discount.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          BB tells Andrew Walker of the FAN590 that he expects to be back as a raptor and that he is willing to take a home town discount.

Comment

• I think someone's Twitter interactions is down for this month and he needs a little more traffic.

Comment

• I think there's a lot things that guys are going to say in the next month that will sound great, but might come down to it's the thing you say when you don't want to look like an ass. Bismack can say that, and then when the Raptors can't offer him anything close to what he gets elsewhere, he can say it wasn't close enough, sorry, and he looks like a great guy.

Words are cheap.

Comment

• Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                                I think someone's Twitter interactions is down for this month and he needs a little more traffic.

He is truly one of the worst radio personalities ever and his dumb ass believes Biyombo's agents are gonna let him turn down at least 15 per

Comment

Working...
                                X