The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Why are people considering Sullinger? The Celtics have been trying to replace him since they got him. Dude is the least self-motivated player available. Doesn't add anything defensively, and ...

What's the point?

Someone who doesn't watch him play, but is good at reading stats is going to say something ridiculous in his defense.

We do however, all watch the Raps, and know what they are looking for. Can suggestions please at least fit that narrative?
    And I don't know what stats they'd be looking at. His PER and D stats are very obviously propped up by his rebounding, and other than decent assist and TO numbers, he's absolutely terrible.

.476 TS%, .453 eFG%, low basic FG and 3pt %s, bad shooting %s at literally every distance that bballref lists, poor shot distribution where the heaviest volume range for him is 16-23 ft and he only shoots .398% from there, a mediocre 103 ORTG

Direct comparison to Scola:
    .523 TS%, .504 eFG%, shot higher from the field and from 3 (much higher from 3 in fact, .404 to .282 for Sully), better or comparable from every range bball ref lists, but with better shot distribution (takes less midrange shots in both close and far midrange combined than Sully did just from the far midrange of 16-23 ft), ORTG of 105.

Sully is a better passer and doesn't turn it over too much...but part of the latter especially is that his first instinct is still often to look for his own shot if he can.

Comment

• I just don't see why we should not take a chance on him. Would be happy with Jason Thompson though.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
        If JJ wasn't on the Raptors, he would have made twice as much and he can thank Casey for that.
        nope.

Comment

If JJ wasn't on the Raptors, he would have made twice as much and he can thank Casey for that.
          Oh, good lord. JJ is an end-of-bench guy. He doesn't have good range (but thinks he does), and he's an energetic defender (but gambles more than he should). That's who he is: a guy who can give you quality spot minutes but not much more than that, and also he's a bit of a headcase who needs to be delicately managed.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            nope.
            nope x 2

JJ... is getting market price... its about a 60% raise ...double what the cap went up by. JJ did OK.

We should wish him the best.. He showed up everyday and kept his nose clean and helped out the rooks... Happy he is getting another payday...
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 10, 2016, 01:13 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Kevin Pelton had him #8 among FA's and #4 currently behind Lebron, Smith and RFA Harkless in projected 3 yr value.

Allow me to make the case that he's an underrated free agent.

At age 23 (he turned 24 in March), Sullinger started 73 games for a team that won 48 games and played better with him on the court. He's a terrific defensive rebounder who provides a modicum of floor spacing and is a good passer for a big man. As a result, he ranked 33rd in the league in RPM.

There's reason for concern, certainly. Sullinger's weight could prove an increasing issue as he ages, and since he struggles to defend on the perimeter or protect the rim, he couldn't stay on the court in the playoffs against the Atlanta Hawks. That last impression will be tough for Sullinger to shake this summer.

Nonetheless, a team could do worse than try to pry Sullinger away from the Celtics with an offer in the $10 million-15 million range per year.
              Boston used him almost exclusively at the 5 last year, but spent more time as a 4 than 5 2 yrs ago.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                Happy for JJ, he can actually get some playing time there...he's a lot better than Casey or a lot of fans gave him credit for...definitely not some 11-15th man bench scrub...maybe not starter worthy but solid rotation player. he should have a good bounce back season there.
                Would love to see him kick some ass. Very underappreciated here.

Comment

Like Biz
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Plus he has above average metrics for what it's worth.
                    I will say Apollo that you are generally fair, considerate and balanced. However, recently I was very upset when biz left and I felt silenced by you and others. I got carried away and I apologized. Biz was my favorite player, ever. I wanted a place to vent and comiserate.
                    I think it's definitive language to deny someone else's opinion as invalid. We all put time and thought into our posts. I think it's good to encourage that and you do by offering a contrary opinion that allows the op to reconsider his position but it kinda diminishes the argument by dismissing the other as invalid.
                    I'm not trying to single you out, I'm just trying to promote healthy debate and the freedom to be a fanatic at times when contributors feel emotionally impacted (I.e. losing biz).
                    Thanks for your opinions and admin.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                      I will say Apollo that you are generally fair, considerate and balanced. However, recently I was very upset when biz left and I felt silenced by you and others. I got carried away and I apologized. Biz was my favorite player, ever. I wanted a place to vent and comiserate.
                      I think it's definitive language to deny someone else's opinion as invalid. We all put time and thought into our posts. I think it's good to encourage that and you do by offering a contrary opinion that allows the op to reconsider his position but it kinda diminishes the argument by dismissing the other as invalid.
                      I'm not trying to single you out, I'm just trying to promote healthy debate and the freedom to be a fanatic at times when contributors feel emotionally impacted (I.e. losing biz).
                      Thanks for your opinions and admin.
                      Hey man, thanks for the feedback. Next time take it to PM though because it's off topic.

I will a knowledge this post though this time. I didn't mean to come off as shutting anyone down. I think sometimes you guys take me too seriously when I post bball opinion and not enough during the very rare event that I talk with the admin hat on.

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention as to how the posts I make will be received. I'll keep watch more closely in how I'm conveying my thoughts on here.

Comment

• The JJ news stings a bit. we had the roster spot.. we had his early bird rights. Could have resigned without using the MLE. I liked that he could play the 4 and the 3.. and was a passable defensive player. Would have been nice to have some reassurance in case Carroll goes down too.

Comment

• You know a trade is coming right?

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            Like Biz
                            Yep Biz got screwed in Charlotte which is why he signed for only $3 million and then ended up making almost 6 times as much when he was being showcased on the Raptors cause he proved as a capable difference maker in the playoffs.

If JJ was on the hornets for example he would have done much better for himself (still not sure why he went back to the team with the same coach whom he had a problem with the first time around).

Comment

• In all seriousness, JJ has played for Thibs, Casey, Joerger and Casey again and none of them could turn him into anything more than a fringe rotation player.

He's a guy who's good to very good as a 1 on 1 defender, but his lack of instinct causes him to be late rotating/helping whenever the other team starts whipping the ball around.

That said, Spoelstra managed to turn Whiteside, (another guy with a low IQ reputation) into a very effective and coveted player. Riley's signings of JJ and Derrick Williams seem to point to a belief he feels Spoelstra could work similar magic again. Possibility of a lot of surplus value if Spoelstra is successful, but contracts are cheap and short enough to be no great loss if it doesn't work out.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                The JJ news stings a bit. we had the roster spot.. we had his early bird rights. Could have resigned without using the MLE. I liked that he could play the 4 and the 3.. and was a passable defensive player. Would have been nice to have some reassurance in case Carroll goes down too.
                                I don't have a good feeling about Carroll at all with his injuries over the last 2 years, possibly a growing trend. I would have preferred to keep Biz over Carroll just for these concerns alone but only time will tell if
                                we should have taken that route especially if Biz blows up in Orlando.

Comment

Working...
                                X