No announcement yet.

The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think Grange said it best when he said raps were a team full of highly paid good players, but no elite ones. i think you could argue Lowry's status and point to JV's development and age as a bone of contention but he's more or less right. it's a big part of why, to me, if you can flip 9 for a guy like Noel who has star potential, you do it. while lowry's window is small, a frontcourt of JV and Noel is ridiculous, and something you can build on while still maintaining a good team for years.

personally i'd let DD walk and bring in a guy like Baze but that's not the point.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• It would seem securing DeRozan to a long-term deal is a no-brainer, but anyone who knows Masai knows he has something planned that no one else sees. In other words, he is going to take a swing for the fence. Whether it’s Kevin Durant, Al Horford or someone else, Masai will take a run at a player via free agency or trade that will surprise people in the industry.
      http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...fences-summer/

Good piece on Masai from an agent, and that part there seems to indicate the person writing isn't convinced that DeMar is actually Masai's first plan.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• ugh not Al Horford
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          Ross/Bebe/9/27 for Noel/Covington

i'd do it in a heartbeat, personally
          Why?

We're not better by anywhere near enough to justify the loss of that many assets. We're a better team over the long and short term not making that trade.
          Last edited by Just Is; Fri Jun 3, 2016, 12:28 PM.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Is Noel's potential really that high? Is he going to get much better than what he already is?

I think with him fit is a tricky thing. Too thin for C. Too bad offensively for PF, especially with his lack of range. Tricky fitting him in with other bigs.

I think if you could get him without giving up too much, it's easily worth a shot. But I really would not give up more than maybe a non lottery pick, Ross and Bebe. That's probably not going to get it done, but yeah, not gutting assets for the kid.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Is Noel's potential really that high? Is he going to get much better than what he already is?
              He's an excellent, even elite defender at center. I don't know how well he'd pair with JV, but if you want to get the rough equivalent of Biyombo with more upside opportunity for improvement, that's mostly what Noel is right now.

Comment

• Let Biyombo walk, sign Dwight Powell.

Comment

• Harrison Barnes at the 4 next year? thoughts?
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Harrison Barnes at the 4 next year? thoughts?
                    no
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                      I don't really understand this trade, being honest. Does it make us better than the Cavs? Not a chance. Also doesn't give us significant cap space, and we give up good draft picks, and Noel isn't a great match beside JV.

Don't really get younger, don't get better by enough.
                      You won't be able to compete with Cavs unless you get an MVP calibre player. That isn't happening because we aren't getting Durant.

This trade makes us better for the future because you get a player that has tons of potential in Noel (who can grow to be a solid 4/5 off the bench), then you get a small ball 4 in Covington who can shoot the 3.

What's there not to get? You give up Ross who has been a dud. You give up a 9th pick who will most likely not even end up contributing and a stash pick.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                        You won't be able to compete with Cavs unless you get an MVP calibre player. That isn't happening because we aren't getting Durant.

This trade makes us better for the future because you get a player that has tons of potential in Noel (who can grow to be a solid 4/5 off the bench), then you get a small ball 4 in Covington who can shoot the 3.

What's there not to get? You give up Ross who has been a dud. You give up a 9th pick who will most likely not even end up contributing and a stash pick.
                        So you give up middling assets, and you get back middling assets. Not the splash we need, and you get rid of all your easily tradeable assets and throw away a lottery pick.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          Ross/Bebe/9/27 for Noel/Covington

i'd do it in a heartbeat, personally
                          That seems a steep price for a guy who has never played professional basketball before.

He's an excellent, even elite defender at center. I don't know how well he'd pair with JV, but if you want to get the rough equivalent of Biyombo with more upside opportunity for improvement, that's mostly what Noel is right now
                          How do you know that he's an excellent defender, let alone elite. Are you suggesting he can shut down guys like Cousins, Aldridge, Davis, et al.? That seems like a stretch. Trading two firsts and two rotation players for a guy who might be Bismack Biyombo doesn't have a lot of appeal from where I sit. Not given the other needs this team has.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            That seems a steep price for a guy who has never played professional basketball before.

How do you know that he's an excellent defender, let alone elite. Are you suggesting he can shut down guys like Cousins, Aldridge, Davis, et al.? That seems like a stretch. Trading two firsts and two rotation players for a guy who might be Bismack Biyombo doesn't have a lot of appeal from where I sit. Not given the other needs this team has.
                            first oh all, huh?

second of all, Bebe is a rotational guy?
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                              So you give up middling assets, and you get back middling assets. Not the splash we need, and you get rid of all your easily tradeable assets and throw away a lottery pick.
                              There is no guarantee a lottery pick is gonna yield any benefit to us. Right now it has its highest worth. You get rid of a role player (for a position we have options at) to get back two more role players (with one having high potential).

The 9th pick isn't gonna land a superstar to bring us over the hump (not immediately anyways even if we luck out). Also, unless we trade TJ, we aren't gonna be able to resign Biz either.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                                There is no guarantee a lottery pick is gonna yield any benefit to us. Right now it has its highest worth. You get rid of a role player (for a position we have options at) to get back two more role players (with one having high potential).

The 9th pick isn't gonna land a superstar to bring us over the hump (not immediately anyways even if we luck out). Also, unless we trade TJ, we aren't gonna be able to resign Biz either.
                                If you trade TJ for Noel and Covington, you save a net 4.7m in salary next year, which isn't enough to get Bismack anyways.

So you traded your best pieces, didn't get a stud, don't have a first round pick, and still can't keep Bismack.

Comment

Working...
                                X