The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    I don't think they'd take that risk, because if they guarantee Ilyasova by not waiving him before tomorrow, and then they can't find a buyer via trade to trade him into cap space, they suddenly can't get Horford.
    But that's just it. They'll find a buyer. There's no chance they won't. There are 29 other teams and the Thunder will know by the end of next week if they're getting Durant, Horford or both. Ilyasova is a good player for his position and he's only making $8.4 million next season - there will literally be at least fifteen teams at that point who will both like the idea of having him and be able to afford him. Comparable players to Ilyasova will cost 2-4 million more in free agency so he's a bargain at the price.

If the price to get Ilyasova is nothing, the Thunder will be able to move him. If the price to get Ilyasova is even slightly moderate (a future draft pick, say), the Thunder will still be able to move him.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      But that's just it. They'll find a buyer. There's no chance they won't. There are 29 other teams and the Thunder will know by the end of next week if they're getting Durant, Horford or both. Ilyasova is a good player for his position and he's only making $8.4 million next season - there will literally be at least fifteen teams at that point who will both like the idea of having him and be able to afford him. Comparable players to Ilyasova will cost 2-4 million more in free agency so he's a bargain at the price.

If the price to get Ilyasova is nothing, the Thunder will be able to move him. If the price to get Ilyasova is even slightly moderate (a future draft pick, say), the Thunder will still be able to move him.
      There is a market for Ilyasova, but I'm not sure there's a market for Ilyasova into empty cap space. I don't think he's that valuable.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Fuck the Knicks. Capped out 35 win team.

Melo don't play Triangle..only ISO.
        Agreed..F@#k the Knicks.
        I like Noah,but d@#n the money is crazy,I guess that's the market..s#@ttttttttttttt..
        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• And Terrence Jones joins Andrew Nicholson in unrestricted free agency, after not being extended a qualifying offer from Houston.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post

And Terrence Jones joins Andrew Nicholson in unrestricted free agency, after not being extended a qualifying offer from Houston.
            If Terrence Jones can be had cheap, I love this in theory. Especially if Ross is sticking around. They are friends, and maybe can help each other figure out how to be effective NBA players?

Comment

• Hmm. Ideas, if we do chase the Ross for Noel trade down, and end up with 10-13M in cap space (depending on who all goes out in the deal).

Obviously you try the trade market for a big PF upgrade. But let's say that doesn't work. What can you use 10-13M in clear cap room on?

First off-board option I'm considering: Luol Deng. Offer him 4 years, 45-55M. Not sure what his value will be this off-season. Would work well for small ball around JV and DD. Was still very much a positive contributor at the 4 last year.

Other option? Amir Johnson (if he gets waived, which seems like a foregone conclusion). Bring him back on a short term deal to fill in that PF/C rotation, end up starting PP (or starting Amir in a small minutes Scola role).
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If Terrence Jones can be had cheap, I love this in theory. Especially if Ross is sticking around. They are friends, and maybe can help each other figure out how to be effective NBA players?
                Jones as our starting PF? He's got the potential, just hasn't proven himself yet. But I'm ok with that experiment if we get him on the cheap.

Comment

• Ooh, add Jones to that list. Worth a try, IMO.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm really not a fan of the Ross-Noel swap. Noel is a restricted free agent next year. If he has a good year, we're right back where we were with Biyombo, asking ourselves how much we want to pay to hold onto a guy who's really not a great fit beside DeMar and JV.

Comment

I'm really not a fan of the Ross-Noel swap. Noel is a restricted free agent next year. If he has a good year, we're right back where we were with Biyombo, asking ourselves how much we want to pay to hold onto a guy who's really not a great fit beside DeMar and JV.
                      Difference is that he would have a small cap hold and we would be able to exceed the cap to resign him, but in general I am hesitant about the swap as well. Tough to gauge Noel's value based on him playing on a trainwreck of a team, and moving into another explosive summer of available capspace.

Ross' cost certainty (and affordability) is a solid asset that we should be careful with, whether by holding onto him or acquiring value through a trade.
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

I'm really not a fan of the Ross-Noel swap. Noel is a restricted free agent next year. If he has a good year, we're right back where we were with Biyombo, asking ourselves how much we want to pay to hold onto a guy who's really not a great fit beside DeMar and JV.
                        Fit aside, we'd have his bird rights and could match any offer (longshot to extend him) so it's an easier situation to manage than Biyombo's.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Jones will not last long. Someone is going to grab him quickly.

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                            Difference is that he would have a small cap hold and we would be able to exceed the cap to resign him, but in general I am hesitant about the swap as well. Tough to gauge Noel's value based on him playing on a trainwreck of a team, and moving into another explosive summer of available capspace.

Ross' cost certainty (and affordability) is a solid asset that we should be careful with, whether by holding onto him or acquiring value through a trade.
                            The bird rights definitely help, but how many minutes are we going to use Noel anyways? Assuming we're paying DeMar this summer, and Lowry next, there is already a talent ceiling on this team and I'm not sure Noel moves that at all. I'm perfectly happy playing JV 30-32 minutes next season, and behind him letting Bebe and Poeltl clean up the minutes at center, while rolling with a rotation of Patterson/Carroll/Poeltl at the 4.

That's a pretty good plan, and any moves to change that should clearly improve it.

Comment

• Noel > Jones
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I don't get why the Thunder would be going after Horford when they just traded Ibaka. You're swapping defence for offence, and it's not like they have a lot of touches available for Horford.

Comment

Working...
                                X