The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    How could they possibly ask that price for a very aged vet and a career journeyman when trying to get a young, athletic shooter with 2-way ability? If anything Memphis should be sweetening the deal for us. They'd want to get a legit young rotation player (no matter what anyone here thinks of Ross he's at least that) for 2 pieces that could have literally no value by the end of the season, to say nothing of whether either would actually contribute that much even just for this coming season. Carter's definitely old enough that his game could drop off a cliff at any time, and Wright's coming off a season where he barely played due to injuries and as usual produced at fairly average levels (with zero toughness, dude is damn soft) when he did.

I would say Memphis should at least be giving us a 2nd rounder or two, if not something better.
    Agreed. Ross has way more value than vince, except to the win now raptors who have tons of guards but only one small forward and very little veteran leadership.

Every good team has those old heads in the room. Last year we had scola, except vince can still ball.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Also might I add vince is now perfectly fine bouncing from dnp-cd to 30 min the next night without complaint, which is ideal for us because he'd be 9th or 10th man but also play behind an injury prone starter

Comment

• From @IraHeatBeat:

"Source tells Sun Sentinel: Heat apparently might not be able to move McRoberts to clear Wade space unless a pick or Winslow(!) included."

I call bullshit on this rumor ("we could hav , Winslow but the cost of losing Winslow was too much for us."), but if there is any chance at getting Winslow I jump at bringing in McBob.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
          From @IraHeatBeat:

"Source tells Sun Sentinel: Heat apparently might not be able to move McRoberts to clear Wade space unless a pick or Winslow(!) included."

I call bullshit on this rumor ("we could hav , Winslow but the cost of losing Winslow was too much for us."), but if there is any chance at getting Winslow I jump at bringing in McBob.
          Yeah.. you have to really doubt that one....That Winslow goes out with McBob. A second round pick is all thats left for the Heat to deal as they gave away most of their firsts on the Dragic deal.

Wade is Mr. Heat.. but he is 34 and on his last legs ... The Heat god bless em .. could run into the same situation as the Lakers did when they signed Nash. Mickey Arinson would blow a vein if Wade gets hurt and they pay him to sit and do nothing on top of losing a pick. Can you imagine if that happened and he moved Winslow instead ? Reilly is not going to move Winslow to keep Dwyane.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 08:27 PM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Agreed. Ross has way more value than vince, except to the win now raptors who have tons of guards but only one small forward and very little veteran leadership.

Every good team has those old heads in the room. Last year we had scola, except vince can still ball.
            Yeah, but you still only make that trade if the objective value is good. We don't need a backup Sf that badly. We do need as many good young players that can shoot and/or defend as we can get. I'd rather keep Ross and Powell and roll with smaller perimeter units if Carroll goes down than trade both guys for Vince and Wright, and then if Carroll goes down Vince and Demar have to play heavy minutes since we just destroyed our perimeter depth.

It was always pretty clear we'd struggle to make a splash in free agency this summer with our lack of cap space. Gotta live with what that means, which is likely stopgaps until a trade that is worth gutting some of our young depth for comes along. I'd be fine trading for Carter. The most expendable young piece for me would be someone like Bebe. If it could be Bebe + cash and maybe add a 2nd rounder if you need to, then I'd look to do something like that. You keep all your good young perimeter depth, you still have your young stud C and another young C (C/PF?) who could be pretty high potential too so you won't miss Bebe, and you get to fill that backup SF spot with a solid veteran.

PF is an issue, but I don't like a guy like Wright nearly enough to start sweetening deals to get him. Not crazy to think we could match his impact with one/both of Poeltl and Siakam depending on how they develop. Honestly if we can't find anything in free agency for a PF (which is looking less and less likely), I'm good playing the young guys, maybe re-sign JJ to the full MLE for one year to be a depth forward as well (it would be a "we're not using it on someone else, lets reward the guy who's been a good solder" deal instead of giving him the minimum...of course maybe another team goes after him).
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Also might I add vince is now perfectly fine bouncing from dnp-cd to 30 min the next night without complaint, which is ideal for us because he'd be 9th or 10th man but also play behind an injury prone starter
              Yeah, Vince would definitely be a good fit. No argument there. He even showed the ability to be a decent 4-out "PF" in small ball lineups, which is great since Carroll can do the same. Good to have that overlap.

Comment

Yeah, Vince would definitely be a good fit. No argument there. He even showed the ability to be a decent 4-out "PF" in small ball lineups, which is great since Carroll can do the same. Good to have that overlap.
                No trading you assets for old stop gaps on a non contending team. Trade for young talent or just sign a stop gap short term.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                  No trading you assets for old stop gaps on a non contending team. Trade for young talent or just sign a stop gap short term.
                  I'm honestly not sure how much longer Bebe can be considered an asset. He has good tools but seems physically and possibly mentally soft. Atlanta threw him in just to be able to waive John Salmons on top of giving us one of the better bench scorers in the league. Has his value gone up since then? Hard to think it has.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm honestly not sure how much longer Bebe can be considered an asset. He has good tools but seems physically and possibly mentally soft. Atlanta threw him in just to be able to waive John Salmons on top of giving us one of the better bench scorers in the league. Has his value gone up since then? Hard to think it has.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                    He has zero value except maybe he surprises us and becomes a rotation player. Basketball fans haven't even heard of him unless they're fans of toronto or brazilian lol

Comment

• Dunleavy as our back up 3
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Why in the hell does chicago want wade? At 20 million the same position as their best player? When they just kinda started to rebuild?

The last month chicago management has looked awful, headed to the dreaded "treadmill" for awhile I think

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Dunleavy as our back up 3
                          Taj Gibson is who we need to get. If we have to take Calderon as third string point guard without giving up TR do it.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Dunleavy as our back up 3
                            Wow. Bulls front office has absolutely no idea how to build a roster.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              Taj Gibson is who we need to get. If we have to take Calderon as third string point guard without giving up TR do it.
                              We don't have the cap space to take on 9 mil. We are currently 5.7 mil under the cap I believe. Dunleavy contract is 4.8 mil.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• This tweet caught my eye. If the raptors traded Ross into someone cap space and got picks back. We would have 15.7 mil to take on both Taj Gibson and Dunleavy. Right?
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X