No announcement yet.

The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sullinger has played some (small ball) 5, so he might also be a good insurance policy in case JV gets injured again (without having to toss Poeltl into the fire by necessity)

Comment

• I like people trying to prop up his D with metrics. Guy saw less floor time last year especially late in the season and the playoffs entirely because it was impossible to hide his weaknesses on that end. They played him more at C because they thought maybe he wouldn't be a liability there and it still didn't work.

And offensively he was awful. Other than being a decent passer he's terrible across the board.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wouldve been nice if it was more of a 1+ 1 team option deal to grab his bird rights in case he blooms like Biyombo

I hope masai told him what he told biyombo before he almost fell outta the league. Good locker room and vets will hopefully put him in place to lose weight

Comment

• Pelton ESPN June 29

Projected 3-Year WARP: 17.5 | 2015-16 RPM: 3.7 | 2015-16 WARP: 5.2

Without a doubt, Sullinger's ranking is the most surprising on this list. Allow me to make the case that he's an underrated free agent.

At age 23 (he turned 24 in March), Sullinger started 73 games for a team that won 48 games and played better with him on the court. He's a terrific defensive rebounder who provides a modicum of floor spacing and is a good passer for a big man. As a result, he ranked 33rd in the league in RPM.

There's reason for concern, certainly. Sullinger's weight could prove an increasing issue as he ages, and since he struggles to defend on the perimeter or protect the rim, he couldn't stay on the court in the playoffs against the Atlanta Hawks. That last impression will be tough for Sullinger to shake this summer.

Nonetheless, a team could do worse than try to pry Sullinger away from the Celtics with an offer in the $10 million-15 million range per year.
          If Sullinger plays this year in no better shape than last year, he still might be worth the MLE, even if surplus value is minimal.

If he does take this offseason as a wake up call and gets in shape, there is potential for sizable surplus value for the team and a potential windfall for Sullinger.

The one year deal is win-win.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I think it's a good signing. For what other players have been going for this summer, that's a good grab. What did you expect with the MLE?

Comment

• Now just add Scola to the coaching staff, he would be good for the locker room.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                I think it's a good signing. For what other players have been going for this summer, that's a good grab. What did you expect with the MLE?
                Similar to the Jiseph deal last year. SA had to renounce and Toronto got him for cheap. Also, third year in a row with a castoff big. Some MU patterns showing.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Similar to the Jiseph deal last year. SA had to renounce and Toronto got him for cheap. Also, third year in a row with a castoff big. Some MU patterns showing.
                  Yeah the plus side to all these deals is MU will always look for that kind of value rather than overpay for a flashier name. Still happy with the general thought process of this signing, just not a Sullinger fan.

Comment

• Some more info on the signing....

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/7/11...oronto-raptors

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Yeah the plus side to all these deals is MU will always look for that kind of value rather than overpay for a flashier name. Still happy with the general thought process of this signing, just not a Sullinger fan.

Too early to tell, but DeMarre Carroll might have been an overpay. Even with the increasing cap, and especially if he keeps getting injured and/or he doesn't fit with Lowry/DD. In that case we ended up with JYD 0.2 for$15M/yr.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Too early to tell, but DeMarre Carroll might have been an overpay. Even with the increasing cap, and especially if he keeps getting injured and/or he doesn't fit with Lowry/DD. In that case we ended up with JYD 0.2 for$15M/yr.
                        Ouch...thats being a bit pessimistic isnt it? I think that was DeMarre's first serious injury and he tried playing thru it start of the year...and it went downhill from there. Gotta give him at least another one to prove it. Consider him a new f/a sign for '16-17.

Signed: Rose Colored Glasses aka Glass Half full.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Ouch...thats being a bit pessimistic isnt it? I think that was DeMarre's first serious injury and he tried playing thru it start of the year...and it went downhill from there. Gotta give him at least another one to prove it. Consider him a new f/a sign for '16-17.

Signed: Rose Colored Glasses aka Glass Half full.
                          Yeah and then after this season, if he continues to have injury issues and his value plummets, it'll only be for the 3rd year of his deal because then he'll be a $15M expiring deal in his final contract year.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            The new Biyombo. Get ready for Contract Year Sullinger!!!!

Next year he will be signing with another team for 4 years, $80 million.
                            Hey, if that happens every year then more power to Ujiri.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              Pelton ESPN June 29

If Sullinger plays this year in no better shape than last year, he still might be worth the MLE, even if surplus value is minimal.

If he does take this offseason as a wake up call and gets in shape, there is potential for sizable surplus value for the team and a potential windfall for Sullinger.

The one year deal is win-win.
                              He's pretty much Al Jefferson-lite

Comment

• Too early to tell on Sully's signing.
                                Financially it's a very good deal.
                                As a player and what he brings to the table,what skillset,mode/mindset and shape he comes with is to be seen,the guy may just need a change of scenery,maybe if given the better fit/situation,coahing staff you never know,he either maintains his current playing level(which aside from his poor long range shooting is not really bad for the price) , or takes advantage of opportunity to improve his game.

Comment

Working...
                                X