The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    These are huge moves. I don't think it's fair to assume they didn't talk to Al about D12. I think it might be a case of the Hawks getting the vibe that Al was leaving and so they pounced on D12 right away. That makes more sense than them courting Al yet at the same time not telling him what else they're doing great or getting his opinion on it.
    Also, the bit about him preferring the Boston fans over the Atlanta fans is a low blow. I feel for the Hawks fans, that was uncalled for after they supported him all those years.

Comment

Also, the bit about him preferring the Boston fans over the Atlanta fans is a low blow. I feel for the Hawks fans, that was uncalled for after they supported him all those years.
      Maybe it was a low blow but it's a bit true, their arenas are one of the quietest in the NBA.

Comment

• Happy about: Masai not giving out crazy money to mediocre players

Sad about: the fact that we still don't have a starting 4
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          Happy about: Masai not giving out crazy money to mediocre players

Sad about: the fact that we still don't have a starting 4
          Its Poeltl then.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
            Maybe it was a low blow but it's a bit true, their arenas are one of the quietest in the NBA.
            Sometimes the truth doesn't need to be said. Had that never came out it would make no difference to him but it would to the city of Atlanta. There's honor in showing appreciation. A tip of the hat was the right play no matter how he really felt. If everyone went around blabbing about how they really felt we'd be all burnt out long ago.

Comment

Its Poeltl then.
              He's 5, not 4. The last team which changed player's fav. position lost to Iceland.. so..

Comment

What fan support, the Hawks arena has been empty even when Atlanta is winning .

Comment

Its Poeltl then.
                  It's PPat starting and ??? as backup - could be Poeltl.

There will be leftovers. Last year Scola and Biz were signed in the week following the 1st signing date,

Whether any of those leftovers will be worth it or within our price range is still questionable.

Was going to make a joke about Scola returning, but no way I could make it humorous.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Sometimes the truth doesn't need to be said. Had that never came out it would make no difference to him but it would to the city of Atlanta. There's honor in showing appreciation. A tip of the hat was the right play no matter how he really felt. If everyone went around blabbing about how they really felt we'd be all burnt out long ago.
                    I think his dad said it, not him, so I don't blame him. I can't get my dad to keep a secret about anything.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                      David West... c'mon MU make it happen.
                      Like I said, definitely prefer him over Gasol by a ton.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Like I said, definitely prefer him over Gasol by a ton.
                        Yup. I mean I agree with whats going on. Go hard to get an upgrade. If we aren't getting an upgrade, why waste money. If you look at everyone that got signed, we would have to trade assets to offer the same amount of money. I don't think that is worth it now.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                          What fan support, the Hawks arena has been empty even when Atlanta is winning .
                          Rather hyperbolic.

Yeah, there were huge problems in years past and still some with poor ownership, causing fanbase disenchantment.

Still, Hawks were 17th in attendance 2 years ago in their 60 win season - not good, but far from "empty".

Memphis was 18th, after years of success and also going 55-27. Yet no one disses the Grizz fanbase.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            Rather hyperbolic.

Yeah, there were huge problems in years past and still some with poor ownership, causing fanbase disenchantment.

Still, Hawks were 17th in attendance 2 years ago in their 60 win season - not good, but far from "empty".

Memphis was 18th, after years of success and also going 55-27. Yet no one disses the Grizz fanbase.
                            Well yeah, the difference being that one of those teams has 5 million people in its metro area, the other has 1.5 million. So of course people are going to look at those fan-bases through different lenses. Atlanta probably has near the absolute bottom attendance per metro area capita of any team in the league.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                              He'd get less than bazemore. Baze took a discount tho. He'd get Crabbe money. Say 56m. But yeah, netsy teams might go 64 or 70 I guess. He's worth 12-14 imo
                              JV would have got the max deal he was allowed to get..4/94
                              Same as Parsons....

My guess is Ross would have got Anderson type money as a compare
                              4/80...

It's a function of the salary pool expanding,and, having to adhere to the parameters of the CBA where teams have to spend to 84$M to meet a floor commitment. Dont confuse the notion that giving a guy like Anderson a 20M$ dollar deal makes him a better player. It doesn't. It does make him a richer player which is fair as the CBA funnels back the TV contract money to the players through a negotiated percentage of Basketball related revenues.

Ujiri will not make a knee jerk type trade or signing unless it's a smart deal. We lived through making a deal for the sake of it and regretted quite a few of them during the Trader Bryan era.

It's only Day 3 of a 20 to 30 day window that is free agent frenzy. Time for patience and see which team overshot the mark and has to waive roster players due to salary consideration or they are overstocked with players.

Boston has to have 20 or more guys now...edit ..they have 21 players on contract with 15 roster slots...
                              How many PF can Orlando possibly have ?
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 3, 2016, 02:02 PM.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

These are huge moves. I don't think it's fair to assume they didn't talk to Al about D12. I think it might be a case of the Hawks getting the vibe that Al was leaving and so they pounced on D12 right away. That makes more sense than them courting Al yet at the same time not telling him what else they're doing great or getting his opinion on it.
                                Or it's just smart for the new guy to say he loved the fans.
                                Just like David Price did in Toronto and when he signed in Boston this year.
                                Don't read anything more into it than that.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X