The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post
    Luis Scola to Brooklyn on a one year deal.

Comment

So is he their top star this year? That's called a double burn.

Comment

• Good move on the Nets part. They will have a lot of young players. Not bad having a respected vet. I'm guessing its more mentoring role than the depending on him to produce role Casey thrust him into here.

That was one of Hinkie's issues with his Philly supertank - didn't understand the pitfalls of having an all youngster roster until it was too late.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Good move on the Nets part. They will have a lot of young players. Not bad having a respected vet. I'm guessing its more mentoring role than the depending on him to produce role Casey thrust him into here.

That was one of Hinkie's issues with his Philly supertank - didn't understand the pitfalls of having an all youngster roster until it was too late.
          From my understanding of the Hinkie situation, he knew exactly how important vets were to teach young players. But was too early in his teardown process to add vets. Vets would've come at the price of extra losses.

Sounded like he was waiting until he landed his all-world rookie prospect before taking measures to improve the team.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            From my understanding of the Hinkie situation, he knew exactly how important vets were to teach young players. But was too early in his teardown process to add vets. Vets would've come at the price of extra losses.

Sounded like he was waiting until he landed his all-world rookie prospect before taking measures to improve the team.
            Not sure we're talking the same thing. I'm thinking more on the line of preventing something like the Okafor off court shit show.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• The Sixers are reportedly very, very high on Simmons, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric. That's an entire starting frontcourt if Simmons or Saric play small forward rather than power forward, and it also means the Sixers are heavily clogged at center since they have Embiid, Okafor and Noel all playing the position. Their best point guard is Jerryd Bayless, who is a career backup, and their best shooting guard is Gerald Henderson, who topped out at "fifth starter" two years ago. They also have sixteen players under contract, seventeen if they sign Timothy Luwawu.

They're ripe to be plucked, and Ross and Delon Wright have probably never been better value. Trade them Ross, Wright and Bebe for Nerlens Noel, one of Nik Stauskas/Hollis Thompson/Robert Covington, and a first rounder (preferably the 2017 first). VanVleet takes Wright's role as third PG/shooter off the bench, we get a competent or at least promising shooter to replace Ross, Noel becomes backup C, Poeltl and Siakam have their "get ready to really be NBA players" years like Wright and Norm had last year, and we'll ideally have three picks in next year's loaded draft, one of which will stand a good chance of being a lotto pick.

Comment

From Toronto to Brooklyn. Yikes.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• http://www.tsn.ca/sullinger-a-good-f...ptors-1.525654

Josh revealing some insights into Raptors' off season. Including a package to get Taj Gibson and Tony Snell which was cock blocked by Wade signing there. Interesting article.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                    http://www.tsn.ca/sullinger-a-good-f...ptors-1.525654

Josh revealing some insights into Raptors' off season. Including a package to get Taj Gibson and Tony Snell which was cock blocked by Wade signing there. Interesting article.
                    good article...so Masai made verified plays on Plan A) Ibaka B) Noel C) Anderson D) Milsap E) Gasol F) Gibson and didn't connect. I know Sully isn't a home run but really what was a better option out there for Plan G? I was ready to settle for a David Lee signing just for the 4 spot insurance. This signing is looking better by the hour.
                    Last edited by RepTdot; Tue Jul 12, 2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                      The Sixers are reportedly very, very high on Simmons, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric. That's an entire starting frontcourt if Simmons or Saric play small forward rather than power forward, and it also means the Sixers are heavily clogged at center since they have Embiid, Okafor and Noel all playing the position. Their best point guard is Jerryd Bayless, who is a career backup, and their best shooting guard is Gerald Henderson, who topped out at "fifth starter" two years ago. They also have sixteen players under contract, seventeen if they sign Timothy Luwawu.

They're ripe to be plucked, and Ross and Delon Wright have probably never been better value. Trade them Ross, Wright and Bebe for Nerlens Noel, one of Nik Stauskas/Hollis Thompson/Robert Covington, and a first rounder (preferably the 2017 first). VanVleet takes Wright's role as third PG/shooter off the bench, we get a competent or at least promising shooter to replace Ross, Noel becomes backup C, Poeltl and Siakam have their "get ready to really be NBA players" years like Wright and Norm had last year, and we'll ideally have three picks in next year's loaded draft, one of which will stand a good chance of being a lotto pick.
                      Trading young guard for young big is such a win win for us and Philly...so it won't happen
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Trading young guard for young big is such a win win for us and Philly...so it won't happen
                        I really can't blame them. Noel looks like a tricky player to make work in terms of fit. I might be one of the only posters here who is just fine that trade didn't happen. I've been ripping on Sully since before we even signed him, but I much prefer the type of low risk signing made to get him than such a trade.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I really can't blame them. Noel looks like a tricky player to make work in terms of fit. I might be one of the only posters here who is just fine that trade didn't happen. I've been ripping on Sully since before we even signed him, but I much prefer the type of low risk signing made to get him than such a trade.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                          I agree noel would be a tricky fit and his contract is problematic. IF he resigned and got a jumper we would have a great team tho.
                          My impression is that the deal was Ross for Noel straight up and Masai want more so he walked. If we are throwing in delon, I expect roco but Philly won't do that. to me Ross for Noel and holmes would have been great.

Comment

• Can't feel good to be Ross knowing Powell will replace him and Masai tried to trade him to every team in league.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                              I agree noel would be a tricky fit and his contract is problematic. IF he resigned and got a jumper we would have a great team tho.
                              My impression is that the deal was Ross for Noel straight up and Masai want more so he walked. If we are throwing in delon, I expect roco but Philly won't do that. to me Ross for Noel and holmes would have been great.
                              I don't know. I read a report early on when the rumours started that Philly actually wanted more. So not really sure what happened. Maybe both parties wanted more because neither was in love with the straight up trade.

Comment

• Yeah, I've read mixed reports and the Philly blogs certainly agree with you. I've coveted noel for Ross this whole year bc I saw their big log jam vs our guard jam and Noel's contract. I thought for sure it would take more than Ross to even get a phone call. But then I saw Phillys desperation vs our stability and the crazy money to FA wings vs noel expiring into a big pay day and it made more sense to me that Masai would want more like a couple years of holmes on the cheap. I think colangelo would have done it but held back bc he would have been crucified by the hinkie faithful.
                                Raps would be taking a lot of risk and it would likely take more than a yr to make it work. So not Masai's mo. But if it worked, damn. Noel with a jump shot would be amazing next to jv and Pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X