The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I'd give it a shot, regardless of the poor defence. Pau and JV on the floor together means that at essentially all times, one of them will have a serious mismatch in the post.
    I wouldn't, stretch 4's would have their lunch. Pick and rolls would be relentless. Every team would be cutting from the weakside fearlessly.

saints91 wrote: View Post
    I say go with upside... I hope Terrence Jones, Jared Sullinger, Leur get serious looks. I would be cool with taking a chance on McAdoo as well.
    Leuer agreed yesterday to go to the Pistons. Not a Sullinger fan. TJones would be worth a small flier. McAdoo was pinned to the bench in GS. Is their even footage to scout?

tDotted wrote: View Post
    Scola can defend 4s? Where the hell were you guys all season. Guy was slower than molasses and on top of that couldn't protect the rim. Gasol can at least do the latter.
    Obviously he's a well below average defender ,but compared to how much Gasol has regressed, yes, Scola can defend.

Comment

• I've got a interesting name:

Would anyone here be interested in us getting Anthony Randolph?

He's 26 now & was a all 2nd team EuroLeague player last year. He wants to come back to the NBA.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Lateral quickness hm... So what makes Pau a better defender (at Center btw) than Val? *Munches popcorn*

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        What got us here? Defense. We got rid of Williams and Vasquez. Got Joseph and Biyombo and drafted Powell and Wright. I don't see the fit with Gasol. Gasol is not flexible and understanding like Scola either. I would imagine he would mope around if he was benched in playoffs like Scola.
        True. We'd be better off with Taj. Doubt David West would come here. And yes, Pau is a definite moper. Big reason he's not that good on D.

Comment

• This point has been hinted at here but this sums it up well. Sly Masai had it planned all along.

Comment

• Meanwhile everyone in RR have been impatient.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
              I've got a interesting name:

Would anyone here be interested in us getting Anthony Randolph?

He's 26 now & was a all 2nd team EuroLeague player last year. He wants to come back to the NBA.
              Would be dirt cheap too I suspect. Why the hell not.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                Would be dirt cheap too I suspect. Why the hell not.
                I would be ok with this

Comment

• What do you mean? Masai had it planned out so that he would need a big man and only RFA's would be left, whose teams can match offers? Not much of a plan...
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Ian Begley reporting that the Knicks are trying to trade "one more player" to create more cap space.

Here is the thing. Since they aren't trading Melo or Porzingis, there is literally only one player they can trade to create cap space at this point: Kyle O'Quinn.

I would be just fine with Kyle O' Quinn joining our roster for free. Just fine with that. 17.5 PER last season, 11 rebs/14 points per 36, solid defender, total bruiser big, and locked down for $4m per year through 2018.
                    Last edited by magoon; Sun Jul 3, 2016, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      What do you mean? Masai had it planned out so that he would need a big man and only RFA's would be left, whose teams can match offers? Not much of a plan...
                      Teams that are already capped out are much less incentivized to match offers for RFAs.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                        Ian Begley reporting that the Knicks are trying to trade "one more player" to create more cap space.

Here is the thing. Since they aren't trading Melo or Porzingis, there is literally only one player they can trade to create cap space at this point: Kyle O'Quinn.

I would be just fine with Kyle O' Quinn joining our roster for free. Just fine with that. 17.5 PER last season, 11 rebs/14 points per 36, solid defender, total bruiser big, and locked down for $4m per year through 2018.
                        But what would you give back to New York? If there clearing cap space they won't want any money coming back and I don't think KOQ is worth a 1st round pick.
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          But what would you give back to New York? If there clearing cap space they won't want any money coming back and I don't think KOQ is worth a 1st round pick.
                          Second-rounder protected 31-56, expires if protected. Basically: nothing. If the Knicks want cap space for O'Quinn, let them have it.

Comment

• All things considered, I'd be happy with Noel at this point. Biz really stung and that would help. I haven't really been on board with poeltl at the 4 but I could see it more with Noel at 5. Noel will cost more than biz as back up year though. I guess that's why Masai wants more. What does he want? Do you guys want Noel?

Comment

• I don't buy the defensive concerns with Pau. Maybe he struggles a bit at PF, but again, the proposal is to have him play limited minutes there anyway, and take up all the backup C minutes.

In the meantime, all the hand-wringing over whether Pau makes the defence worse... Look, for all the blown assignments, and the way he looks defending out there, he's effective. There's basically no denying it.

The Bulls had a better DRTG with Gasol on the court than without him (103.5 vs 104.5). And that's with him playing mostly against starters. Gasol's on-court DRTG was 4th best of 10 players who played 1000+ minutes on the season. You might claim that playing with Butler a lot boosted that - and it did, Butler and Gasol together had a 101.3 DRTG together. And Gasol had an overall DRTG of 103.5, so he was indeed worse away from Butler. Of course, Butler had an overall 103.3 DRTG, so Gasol had almost the same effect on his defence... And this is on a team where the alternatives to Gasol are defensive players like Taj Gibson and Joakim Noah, when he was able to get on the court.

All the aggregates capture this - his DRPM was 10th best among all C's last year (+3.07, just ahead of Biyombo, 6th best overall RPM). His DBPM was +3.5, the best he's had in his career, though he's been a positive every year of his career. He contributed 3.9 DWS last season.

Even in the limited time he spent at PF last season he had loads of success. There's not much sample, but Noah-Gasol in their 132 minutes played (SSS alert) before Noah went down for good, posted a tremendous 90.8 DRTG. Seems to me he played C for Chicago mostly because they had no other C's on the roster except Noah and he got hurt. Even if you treat Gibson as a C when he plays with Pau, they had a 103.7 DRTG together, while the Bulls overall had a 103.9 DRTG. Not exactly the weak link bringing that team down defensively.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                                Teams that are already capped out are much less incentivized to match offers for RFAs.
                                How so?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X