No announcement yet.

Biyombo as a starting PF - make the case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't trade KAT for JV...no way... and KAT is not a top 5 player.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      are you minny or toronto? kat is looking all world

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        Jesus what? I would easily take KAT over JV any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's gonna be KAT's world starting next season and everyone is gonna be living in it.

Anthony Davis who?

Comment

I listen to raps podcast and I completely disagree that biz and JV can't work.

No one seems to be thinking out of the box.

1. This has been done before Detroit Pistons championship team with the Wallace.

2. Just cause JV is the centre and biz is the PF doesn't mean they have to play the traditional roles on offence.

3. Zone defence, there is a number of ways to keep JV close to the basket

4. tom thibodeau defence where they Iso the ball to one side of the court and force long 2's while keeping the centre at home.

5. JV currently has a 15 footer they think he can extent his range to the 3 point line. If he extents to the 18 feet. That's enough to space the court.

6. Double screens on guards are going to be nasty.

7. If casey can create a multi option offence like Detroit created with rip running threw screens this has a good chance of working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Murray running through double screens with biz and jv. Sign me up.
              There are sooo many good logistical reasons not to resign biz but 1) he's like my fav raps player ever 2) all roads lead to LeBron in the east; how many people on the planet can cover lebron like biz? When biz blocked (bs foul call) Bron, I was like pay this man. Psychologically I don't think raps win either game against cavs without biz.

Comment

The more I think about Biz/JV the more I think it could work in the starting lineup. The only thing is you'd need Jonas to consistently extend his range more and become more like an Aldridge type player on offense than a true bigman. I'm not sure if that's really the best way to use JV, although he does have a killer shot when he's not afraid to take them.

Basically you'd want Jonas playing power forward on offense, and BB playing it on defense.
                Last edited by Gambino; Fri Jun 10, 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Gambino wrote: View Post
                  The more I think about Biz/JV the more I think it could work in the starting lineup. The only thing is you'd need Jonas to consistently extend his range more and become more like an Aldridge type player on offense than a true bigman. I'm not sure if that's really the best way to use JV, although he does have a killer shot when he's not afraid to take them.

Basically you'd want Jonas playing power forward on offense, and BB playing it on defense.
                  Terrible waste of JV's dominance in the post though. He's unguardable in the paint, one of the best scorers in the league down there. Why run an offense that never lets him do that?
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                    Terrible waste of JV's dominance in the post though. He's unguardable in the paint, one of the best scorers in the league down there. Why run an offense that never lets him do that?
                    Can ya chill on the hyperbole? It wouldn't "never" let him do it. He'd just need to step outside more and hit some shots to extend the defense a bit whether that's off pick and pops on occasion or off the catch. If anything it would actually let him get more shots up in addition to his post game and pick and roll opportunities.

Comment

Can ya chill on the hyperbole? It wouldn't "never" let him do it. He'd just need to step outside more and hit some shots to extend the defense a bit whether that's off pick and pops on occasion or off the catch. If anything it would actually let him get more shots up.
                      If you have DeMar and Bismack on the floor, that allows the defense to collapse on JV when he catches the ball in the post, it removes those opportunities, or at the very least makes them inefficient.

"hit some shots off pick and pops" instead of post-ups for JV is giving him opportunities on 45% shots instead of 60% shots.

Comment

If you have DeMar and Bismack on the floor, that allows the defense to collapse on JV when he catches the ball in the post, it removes those opportunities, or at the very least makes them inefficient.

"hit some shots off pick and pops" instead of post-ups for JV is giving him opportunities on 45% shots instead of 60% shots.
                        You realize that is how a guy like Marc Gasol was able to increase his involvement on the offensive end right? His offense for the first 4 years of his career was basically entirely in the paint. He was able to work his way up to 13-14 shots per game by incorporating more mid-range into his offense. I honestly think JV is a more talented scoring, worse passing Gasol and making similar changes could allow him to get more involved on the offensive end.

It's pretty hard for a center to really get a ton of shots up just playing in the painted area. The only bigtime scoring fives I can remember doing that are Duncan and Shaq. Most post bigs also had the ability to step out and hit jumpers as well to diversify their offense. There's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

You realize that is how a guy like Marc Gasol was able to increase his involvement on the offensive end right? His offense for the first 4 years of his career was basically entirely in the paint. He was able to work his way up to 13-14 shots per game by incorporating more mid-range into his offense. I honestly think JV is a more talented scoring, worse passing Gasol and making similar changes could allow him to get more involved on the offensive end.

It's pretty hard for a center to really get a ton of shots up just playing in the painted area. The only bigtime scoring fives I can remember doing that are Duncan and Shaq. Most post bigs also had the ability to step out and hit jumpers as well to diversify their offense. There's nothing wrong with that.
                          I like JV's ability to hit jumpers. He's good at them and that's great. But he shot 74.6% this year when he caught a pass in the paint, and 68.1% when he caught a pass in the post.

He's never going to hit those kinda numbers from midrange. So running a lineup which reduces his efficiency, and especially spending ~$15 mil on Bismack to be the power forward just so we can run lineups which limit JV's post and paint touches in favor of more midrange seems kind of insane.

That would be like changing our offense to maximize DeMar's 3pt shot opportunities. It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

The trick to playing Biz with JV, just like to playing DeMar with Lowry, is to have them play apart from eachother as much as possible, and leverage them fully when they are apart. So, DD and Lowry dominate usage when they are with the bench unit, and share the ball more when on the court together. Similarly, when Biz and JV are on the court together, JV will be more of an outside shooter and primary screener as a pop option (as well as a high post offence initiator) with Biyombo crashing the glass or setting off ball screens. While individually, Biz will be the primary screener, rolling into the paint surrounded by shooters, and when JV is out there without BB (with PP), he should be a primary option as a low post scorer or roll man on every play.

Playing them apart as much as possible (32MPG for JV and 26 MPG for Biz means JV gets 22 minutes without BB and BB gets 16 without JV) means only 10 MPG of JV being restricted to an outside presence.

That's the only way to make it work and still leverage both players' strengths, is to stagger the minutes as much as possible, and run the offence smartly when they share the floor.

Also, JV doesn't hit nearly 60% on post ups (in terms of score rate). He's effective but is under a PPP. His eFG% on catch and shoot chances is 53%. It's an effective weapon for him that should be used more.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              The trick to playing Biz with JV, just like to playing DeMar with Lowry, is to have them play apart from eachother as much as possible, and leverage them fully when they are apart. So, DD and Lowry dominate usage when they are with the bench unit, and share the ball more when on the court together. Similarly, when Biz and JV are on the court together, JV will be more of an outside shooter and primary screener as a pop option (as well as a high post offence initiator) with Biyombo crashing the glass or setting off ball screens. While individually, Biz will be the primary screener, rolling into the paint surrounded by shooters, and when JV is out there without BB (with PP), he should be a primary option as a low post scorer or roll man on every play.

Playing them apart as much as possible (32MPG for JV and 26 MPG for Biz means JV gets 22 minutes without BB and BB gets 16 without JV) means only 10 MPG of JV being restricted to an outside presence.

That's the only way to make it work and still leverage both players' strengths, is to stagger the minutes as much as possible, and run the offence smartly when they share the floor.

Also, JV doesn't hit nearly 60% on post ups (in terms of score rate). He's effective but is under a PPP. His eFG% on catch and shoot chances is 53%. It's an effective weapon for him that should be used more.
                              http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pla..._TOUCHES&dir=1

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pla...gular%20Season

The percentages I pulled were from there, Dan.

Comment

Also, I understand Bismack and JV could have some effectiveness being on the same team, they did this year. But I have two issues with this plan:

1. JV needs more touches and minutes going forward.

2. Bismack's price tag this summer is going to be pretty high for his limitations.

Comment

Working...
                                X