Toronto Joins with Atlanta and Philadelphia Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Joins with Atlanta and Philadelphia Rumor

Bryan Colangelo is back in the NBA, and based on recent reports it is looking like he is wanting to undue the young talent accumulated by Philadelphia, for a chance to be a touch more competitive in 2016-17.

Or as we have come to know this type of move, he is looking to make “A Colangelo” on the trade market.

Yesterday reports surfaced from Shams at Yahoo! that Philadelphia was discussing a possible trade with Atlanta centred around Nerlens Noel for Jeff Teague. Centred certainly seems to imply that there would be more moving pieces.

Today we hear rumors from Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer that Robert Covington and/or Nik Stauskas are also being discussed.

Putting this all together, I smell a (hypothetical) three team trade with Masai taking advantage of his old friend/boss.

Atlanta Trades: Jeff Teague, 2018 First Round Pick (Higher of theirs and Minnesota’s picks, top 8 protected – Note: Minnesota’s pick is already lottery protected)

Atlanta Receives: Nerlens Noel, Nik Stauskas

Philadelphia Trades: Nerlens Noel, Nik Stauskas, Robert Covington

Philadelphia Receives: Jeff Teague, Terrence Ross, 2018 First Round pick from Atlanta/Minnesota

Toronto Trades: Terrence Ross

Toronto Receives: Robert Covington

Why For Atlanta:

Atlanta adds a young defensive PF/C in Noel, and a reclamation project in Sauce Stauskas whose shooting should fit well within Budenholzer’s system. Noel’s presence gives them some protection against losing Horford in free agency this summer, and adding two young talents to pair with Schroeder and Millsap.

Why for Philadelphia:

Seems to be the direction that Philadelphia wants to move in, with the goal of adding some stability to their crop of youth. Gives them a possible line-up of Teague, Ross, Simmons, and Embiid/Okafor to work from. Not a bad foundation for a team coming off of 10 wins. They also add a 2018 pick (they have too many already this year) as they give up the highest ceiling player/someone entering restricted free agency in Noel. Bryan also gets to bring in one of his former draft picks in Ross…so that’s fun for him.

Why for Toronto:

Toronto saves $9 million in year one, and adds a 6’9” SF/PF (both of which Masai mentioned a need for in his end of year press conference) who can capably defend, shoot from distance, and create off the dribble. Covington is owed a touch over $1M each of the next two years, making him a bargain contract and easy piece to fit within roster construction.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

I like this trade, if Ross can net us Covington, that would be a steal for us. I like Covington, I think he could be our 6th man next year.

Comment

Working...
    X