Masai Ujiri and The Wasserman Group Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Horford could be a great PF for us but it just won't work money wise.
    If he really wants to come here they could find a way. Horford's situation is interesting. He could probably get the max on the market this year, but at this point in his career (in his prime and wanting to win) it's doubtful he goes to teams that won't have a chance to contend. He's also made his feelings well known in the past about wanting to play PF, so it's possible that plays a factor. Not a lot of teams in the league fit that bill and Toronto is one of them. Maybe if we can't quite clear max room, he'll sign at a minor discount, even just on a 1+1 deal and see how the fit is.

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
      I went for a walk after reading the whole post.
      So here is my hypothetical scenario I came up with while walking.
      Horford agrees w To on 4 yr 80 mil (a bit of a discount for a chance to be on a really good team)-may a bit of tweaking here. Would money work?
      Horford listens to LA pitch.
      Go to Atl & present 2 scenarios:
      We (my client Horford & I) like To offer & like LA offer.
      Raps are offering 2Pat, Ross & Wright in S/T for Horford & your 1st.
      If you don't like it we sign with LA.
      Far fetched? I don't think Atlanta has a lot of choices.
      No idea why we'd demand their first rounder there, or rather I don't know why they'd consider including it.

Comment

Gotta ask... if a free agent wants to go to a team to contend, why would they pick a team that has to weaken itself to get that player and wasn't previously a championship contender?
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
          Gotta ask... if a free agent wants to go to a team to contend, why would they pick a team that has to weaken itself to get that player and wasn't previously a championship contender?
          Maybe the team in question has the depth not to weaken themselves that much, as was the case with the Spurs last season. Every "elite" team has to weaken themselves to sign a marquee free agent because they're all over the cap. Teams with cap space tend to be on the weaker side of the spectrum (this offseason may prove an exception with the cap increase).

Bottomline, no free agent is going to say - "I might have considered Toronto...if they had only held on to Terrence Ross."

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            Maybe they don't have to weaken themselves that much, as was the case with the Spurs last season. Every "elite" team has to weaken themselves to sign a marquee free agent because they're all over the cap. Teams with cap space tend to be on the weaker side of the spectrum (this offseason may prove an exception with the cap increase).

Bottomline, no free agent is going to say - "I might have considered Toronto...if they had only held on to Terrence Ross."
            No, but someone might say 'Toronto was really good last year because of their bench, and they're gutting their bench to get me', as is the case if you're giving up Patterson and Ross. Without those two, where's the shooting off the bench for the Raps?

Comment

No, but someone might say 'Toronto was really good last year because of their bench, and they're gutting their bench to get me', as is the case if you're giving up Patterson and Ross. Without those two, where's the shooting off the bench for the Raps?
              MLE. Powell. Cory. Wright. Bruno.

We would want to sign a veteran shooter. But Masai has acquired so many assets over the last few years that we can pull off a consolidation trade like this and still come out with a very deep team - frankly, we almost need to.

Plus, I really don't see a free agent saying 'Toronto was really good last year because of their bench, and they're gutting their bench to get me' either.

Comment

We would want to sign a veteran shooter. But Masai has acquired so many assets over the last few years that we can pull off a consolidation trade like this and still come out with a very deep team - frankly, we almost need to.
                Not one single one of those guys you mentioned is really a shooter.

And this market this summer the MLE is going to have less value than years previous.

Comment

You'll still be able to add a good shooter for 5 mill, even if it is a journey-man type like a Dorrell Wright. Guys like that can thrive on good teams. And there's some good shooting prospects in the 27th range.

Comment

Great post. Super interesting idea.

Comment

No idea why we'd demand their first rounder there, or rather I don't know why they'd consider including it.
                      Because we can & they (Atl) have no choice -otherwise Horford goes to LA & they get nothing.
                      If that happens in the nutshell they get (& IMO can use) 2Pat, Ros & Wright for a non lottery 1st.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Great post Rudy. I don't know if it is tin foil hat territory or not, but I have certainly read over the years how important relationships are in the NBA (as in most other organizations). Masai does seem to actively work at cultivating relationships and he does seem to have strong connections throughout the league.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
                        Not necessarily.
                        Reality is, a player should & usually does rely fair amount on his agent for advice. "Feeling good" about your new boss (GM) & the organization he runs has to play a significant role in choosing your new destination/team.
                        The trust or lack of can be a factor (look at M Morris).
                        Everything else being equal (or close to) it has to play a role.

Comment

MLE is basically garbage this offseason. It's not reflective of the cap jump and won't be enough for anyone good.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Ask yourself this question:
                            Would we (Raps) have more success this year (reg season & playoffs) with Horford but without 2Pat, Ross & Wright? Or the other way around.
                            Keep in mind: With Horford, we should clearly be favs to go back to ECF (at least). How many aging Vets might have chosen us for vets minimum?
                            Say with Horford last year (& without 2Pat, Ros & Wright) Joe J comes to us? Interesting at least.

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                              Ask yourself this question:
                              Would we (Raps) have more success this year (reg season & playoffs) with Horford but without 2Pat, Ross & Wright? Or the other way around.
                              Keep in mind: With Horford, we should clearly be favs to go back to ECF (at least). How many aging Vets might have chosen us for vets minimum?
                              Say with Horford last year (& without 2Pat, Ros & Wright) Joe J comes to us? Interesting at least.
                              What? Why? Without 2Pat and Ross this year, our bench isn't dominant, and we don't win nearly as many games. Does Horford cover up enough by himself to make up for the bench being bad? Is Horford comfortable being the third banana behind Lowry and DeMar? What does that do to JV's usage and growth this past season? Is our locker room chemistry nearly as good without 2Pat and Ross?

None of these changes happen in a vacuum. It's hilarious to me how mouch people underestimate how important Patterson was to us this year.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                MLE is basically garbage this offseason. It's not reflective of the cap jump and won't be enough for anyone good.
                                Not necessairily.
                                If the player (FA) is only interested in max amount of money he can get -you are absolutely correct.
                                Just remember: there are D Wests in this world -he may be extreme, but lets say a FA can get 8 mil x3 yrs from 76ers or MLE x3 yrs from us or Cavs.
                                Competitive teams (like us) can still get a decent FA for a decent (not great) amount of money.
                                I'll bring back Joe J again: After being released by Nets he prob could have gotten more money from another team. Never even considered it.

Comment

Working...
                                X