Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
    But honestly hes not a bad option. With KL, DD and JV starting, the pf really needs to be more of a guy that can positively impact games with few touches, which ppat will do. He is a guy who is able to possiitively impact the game and help team mates out in so many ways that I don't see why he isn't a good option. Unless you get a really talented player like Millsap or Griffin you're likely looking for someone to fit with the starters and ppat does that as well as anyone.
    Agreed. Yes he struggled big time in the Playoffs, but 3 point shooting isn't the only thing that determines winning. Patterson plays defense and he is quick on his feet.

Comment

• I think that there's a chance that Poeltl starts at PF, simply because if Patterson starts, that could mean having both Poeltl and Pascal in the game with the bench unit, and not sure Casey would trust the two of them together defensively, at least at the beginning

Of course, I still expect Masai to fill out the roster a bit before the season

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
        I think that there's a chance that Poeltl starts at PF, simply because if Patterson starts, that could mean having both Poeltl and Pascal in the game with the bench unit, and not sure Casey would trust the two of them together defensively, at least at the beginning

Of course, I still expect Masai to fill out the roster a bit before the season
        Can people stop with this idea that Poeltl is a PF? In no way, shape, or form is Jakob a power forward. He is ideally a mobile 5. At PF, his mobility is similar or worse than opposing players. The goal should always be to put players in the situation for them to most likely succeed. That spot or him is at Center.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          Can people stop with this idea that Poeltl is a PF? In no way, shape, or form is Jakob a power forward. He is ideally a mobile 5. At PF, his mobility is similar or worse than opposing players. The goal should always be to put players in the situation for them to most likely succeed. That spot or him is at Center.
          What I've been saying.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            This year, the weight was down, speed up and there didn't appear to be any significant drop off in strength.
            Strength training and bulking are two different things for sure. The guy with the biggest muscles isn't necessarily the strongest. The bulk has to help in the post though in terms of wearing guys down or standing ground just because it's takes more strength to stand up to the extra mass.

Comment

At PF, his mobility is similar to opposing players, while his length, rebounding and post scoring and defence is superior. At C his mobility is superior, while his length, rebounding and post play is less of an advantage. Is it really so clear cut that playing him at C is playing to his strengths?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                At PF, his mobility is similar to opposing players, while his length, rebounding and post scoring and defence is superior. At C his mobility is superior, while his length, rebounding and post play is less of an advantage. Is it really so clear cut that playing him at C is playing to his strengths?
                a team like ours can push the envelope a bit as well. a team that has to play him would feel more pressure to put him into the 5 position but we can see if he can develop into a 4. if he can, he is a much more valuable player. same reasons i think you try to get murray to play the 1, the nuggets won't but i thought we could have.

Comment

what is wrong with him being a 4/5. You realize he can hit the midrange showed it in college. He showed in workouts the ability to hit the 3. Just because you can't hit a 3pt shot makes you automatically not a 4? Additionally we are headed towards positionless basketball.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    He's 7'1"(inch taller than JV) with a 7'3" wingspan(inch shorter than JV). He was the most effeceient low post scorer in College basketball. Not a great rebounder but still very good. Most of his shots have come around the rim. He has the highest FG% of any player in Utes history. Higher than Bogut when he was there. Anyone who has actually watched Utah the last two years will tell you he's a Center. His college coach even said so.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      a team like ours can push the envelope a bit as well. a team that has to play him would feel more pressure to put him into the 5 position but we can see if he can develop into a 4. if he can, he is a much more valuable player. same reasons i think you try to get murray to play the 1, the nuggets won't but i thought we could have.
                      I think the NBA game is harder enough on a rookie. Add in position change. I don't think it's a good idea. I think you play him where he's used to playing. We already drafted a PF(who Masai seems to love).
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Really? The people imagining that Poeltl is a PF, have you watched ANY tape of him playing PF at ANY level? Similar speed? You mean having slightly below average speed at PF vs above average at Center. Wingspan? How many 6-10 forwards have massive wingspans.

He's not an anomaly at PF. He is at C. Always put players in the best situation to succeed. Why is that basic idea escaping people? Am I missing something?

Comment

Really? The people imagining that Poeltl is a PF, have you watched ANY tape of him playing PF at ANY level? Similar speed? You mean having slightly below average speed at PF vs above average at Center. Wingspan? How many 6-10 forwards have massive wingspans.

He's not an anomaly at PF. He is at C. Always put players in the best situation to succeed. Why is that basic idea escaping people? Am I missing something?
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJ3F5Aazv0

Porzingas is a center but played the 4 this year. KATs....

He can guard out on the perimeter.

Not saying he will be a full time 4 or is a better 4 then a 5. I am saying he can switch between the two. I don't think it will kill spacing as it would have playing Biz and JV. Nothing wrong with having two low post guys who can score, rebound, roll and have a soft touch. The kid will be just fine. Casey even said he will play the 4 some.

Comment

Really? The people imagining that Poeltl is a PF, have you watched ANY tape of him playing PF at ANY level? Similar speed? You mean having slightly below average speed at PF vs above average at Center. Wingspan? How many 6-10 forwards have massive wingspans.

That basic idea is not escaping people. People are disagreeing with you about what the best situation to succeed in is for Poeltl.

He's very much an anomaly at PF with his low post ability and length/height.

Yes, I watched the game he played PF for the Austrian national team when they played a friendly against JV's Lithuanian squad last summer. That was the game he dropped 27 that Ujiri referenced, and he played more at PF that game than C (guarded often by Sabonis) and he was plenty quick enough in that game, and had a big advantage with his size at the position.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Can we just put a temporary ban on the PFvC debate until the regular season comes around? Even Summer League won't really be that informative I imagine.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                                Can we just put a temporary ban on the PFvC debate until the regular season comes around? Even Summer League won't really be that informative I imagine.
                                Yah I agree. The discussion isn't really going anywhere and there are obviously two completely different sides to the argument.

Comment

Working...
                                X